Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

stupid people are trying to buy generic names for millions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Agghh whata comment!

That will be like saying that government of Estonia has no reason for existence and tax collection, because about 25% of its citizens go to U.S.A. each year.

I mean really.

Wtf???

Looks like You just did not get it.
I mean if You develop a nice, (.net,.org,.biz or whatewer, I don`t mean country ext) domain webiste, it becomes famous, then You will lose at least %25 US based type-in traffic to the .com - Thats a fact and nothing else.

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gotasale said:
i am just wondering why people would pay 7 millions for business.com

No one paid 7.5 million for business.com. It's the most over rated sale in the industry.

....ECompanies made history by paying $7.5 million for the Business.com domain name -- although Winebaum said it was an all-stock, funny-money deal....
InternetNews

Funny money? Isn't that what you get passing GO via Monopoly? :-D

M

mole

stuff said:
it becomes famous, then You will lose at least %25 US based type-in traffic to the .com - Thats a fact and nothing else.

Ever heard of the Aaargh! Wrong site!!! syndrome?

There is the back button on Internet browsers, mon.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
Looks like You just did not get it.
I mean if You develop a nice, (.net,.org,.biz or whatewer, I don`t mean country ext) domain webiste, it becomes famous, then You will lose at least %25 US based type-in traffic to the .com - Thats a fact and nothing else.

Here is another one:

The government of Estonia should not promote tourism of their country in in American media, or in their embassy in Washington - because no matter what they do, about 25% of American tourists initialy interested in visiting Estonia will book their holidays in Sweden instead.

So the proposed alternative is that Government of Estonia buys an overpriced country of Sweden outright, that way ensuring capturing of those other 25% of American tourists, but without any guarantees that they won't decide to go to Norway after all.

Wtf???

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that a certain amount of traffic will be lost to the .com if another extension is developed.
That is a fact.
I disagree on it being about 25% though.
also, as for developing a site, once its up and going and search engine ranked, even if some visitors go to the .com, they will realize thats its not the same site they wanted, and go to or 'remember' the other site.
Now, where that becomes a problem is if you are selling a product or a service. Then, the traffic you lose to the .com, and assuming it is setup to sell the same stuff, will become somewhat of a problem.

ceo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Here is another one:

The government of Estonia should not promote tourism of their country in in American media, or in their embassy in Washington - because no matter what they do, about 25% of American tourists initialy interested in visiting Estonia will book their holidays in Sweden instead.

So the proposed alternative is that Government of Estonia buys an overpriced country of Sweden outright, that way ensuring capturing of those other 25% of American tourists, but without any guarantees that they won't decide to go to Norway after all.

Wtf???

LOL, are you from Estonia ?
Nice analagies btw.....

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ceo said:
LOL, are you from Estonia ?
Nice analagies btw.....

No, I'm not. But, he is.

That's why I'm trying to drive the point "home" :-D

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
No, I'm not. But, he is.

That's why I'm trying to drive the point "home" :-D

Looks like You still don`t get - but ok, nothing to do.

I am just saying, that they don`t forget the domain (eg estonia and they type sweden), but they simply don`t remember the ext - they will visit site called estonia.net and if they next time the simply type-in estonia.com and You again lost one visitor. Come on think a little about it...

Stuff

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A very often forgotten factor is that kind of traffic you get for your domain.
I bet a tech related domain under non dot-com extension, may still have some oportunity because the geeks do know the "back" button and they will know they failed the extension and will find your "net/info/org/biz" (unless the dotcom is an established site better than yours in which case youre lost).

But a site for non-techie people definitely will loose that traffic, when mom, dad or the granpa arrives to "yoursite.com", they may not get it quickly, or don't get it at all ... "why it looks different than the last time?" ... "why now I get soo many windows poping up ?" ... :)

domaino

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:

I am just saying, that they don`t forget the domain (eg estonia and they type sweden), but they simply don`t remember the ext - they will visit site called estonia.net and if they next time the simply type-in estonia.com and You again lost one visitor. Come on think a little about it...

Stuff

I think it is you who does not get it. You may be losing "25%" of traffic but you still have "75%". I think what sasquatch was trying to put across to you (via an excellent analogy btw) is that just because estonia is losing "25%" of its population to America (This is the .net losing "25%" to the .com) doesn't mean that it shouldn't be in existence. I understand the point you are putting forward that visitors may divert to estonia.com instead of the .net alternative and this may be the case for first time visitors. However the quality visitor (the one who comes back again and again) will eventually find estonia.net because they will remember the content of the site, therefore rendering the extension un-important in this respect. The .net extension may be less acknowledged than .com on the basis that the .com will draw more generic type ins than its counterpart, but this will not matter once the site is developed and acknowledged as a valuable resource by its visitors.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
isnt that what I also said??

domaino

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
isnt that what I also said??

Yeh i know but he still did not understand the point so i thought i would try and explain it further.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:

Wow :huh:

I don't what is it with you; is it your Baltic air, is it your age (or lack thereof;) is it the language skills - what?

Try to be a little more imaginative and think of Estonia & Sweden not as domain names, but as domain extensions, the way I meant it to be "read". Now, re-read my last post and let me know does it makes any difference in your thought process?

I don't know man, if you want I can try to draw diagrams in the sand for you, but that might get a little expensive.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Wow :huh:

I don't what is it with you; is it your Baltic air, is it your age (or lack thereof;) is it the language skills - what?

Try to be a little more imaginative and think of Estonia & Sweden not as domain names, but as domain extensions, the way I meant it to be "read". Now, re-read my last post and let me know does it makes any difference in your thought process?

I don't know man, if you want I can try to draw diagrams in the sand for you, but that might get a little expensive.
Ok, sorry, maybe I did not understand You.
Lets rest the case.
Ok.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why the age comparison?
cant people simplui agree that they disgaree???

I really get sad seeing such developments simply from people having different opinions.
Anyhow....

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really don´t agree with sasquatch, but I don`t want to argue anymore, so lets rest it. I still think that developing other then .com is not worth it.
And I sasquatch I can understand Your post, and my age has nothing to do ith it, and It`s not the baltic air and so on.. And Your post dosen`t change what I think..

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yo sas, take it easy dude...

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
why the age comparison?
cant people simplui agree that they disgaree???

I really get sad seeing such developments simply from people having different opinions.
Anyhow....

It's not just different opinions, it's the public volunteering of such rigid outlook and ignorance and exhibition of double standards that gets to me. Otherwise, if he is so smart he should then apply the same philosophy to other walks of life, and see how far will that get him?

Do not play with domains, because there's 25% chance you will not be able to sell at all, no matter what price :'(

Do not open a restaurant, because there's 25% chance it will go under within first two years.

Do not walk on the street, because there's 25% chance a piano will fall on your head.

Do not get married, because there will be 25% chance your wife will cheat on you.

Do not get your wife pregnant, because there is 25% chance she will misscary.

And while you're at it, do not have children because there's 100% chance they will die one day.

Therefore, if he applied the same uncompromising "philosophy" to his own life, I doubt he would ever get out of his house, because after all there is always a 25% chance that his day might be wasted.

And if the whole humanity took the same, rigid, "25%-wasted" approach throughout our history, I doubt that we would be further than the nearest cave right now.

Nothing personal though, we are just talking :goofy:

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes.. I see your point.
can you hold on while I bend down, I got one coming, and I think it is going in your direction.
I see, you caught it, I guess it was a dot com(ming at you)

Thanks, I feel better.

--
nothing personal, just gas....

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
nothing personal, just gas....

I see, fart philosophy in the grandest tradition of your compatriot predecessors %+|

Speaking of age, how old are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom