Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sunday Auction 8-10-03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just beat the deadline and put in Ten - nine of them are 3-letter domains.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nope, we had one auction with no sales....I guess it died again :-(

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe this has been said before, but it bears repeating. The auction system here is doomed to failure. There is a small group of people pushing the same domains over and over to the same group of people in different ways. But they don't sell because the names suck (at least most of them do) and/or they are overpriced for a reseller atmosphere. It was a noble effort, but we just don't have the base here to justify the energy expenditure required to keep propping this thing up.

It was a good idea, certainly a noble effort, but it is time to put the auctions out of their misery.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we used to have members posting good $1 names.....what happened. I agree with you the auction has the 'crappy domain' syndrome....but why did the auction use to get so many good names and not get them posted anymore?

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GT Web
we used to have members posting good $1 names.....what happened. I agree with you the auction has the 'crappy domain' syndrome....but why did the auction use to get so many good names and not get them posted anymore?

Real simple ... many put in decent names and sold them them for chump change... and they got tired of doing it. Also, there has been a change of membership make-up that has contributed to the above.

Shaun

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey, now wait a minute... I put in everything from some 'junk' names to one that dropped last week with a $500 bid on Namewinner (which means the proxy bid was HIGHER, of course). That was OfficeRenovations.com. I've had over $1000 offers on RealtyRebate.com, so I'm sure that RealtyRebate.cc isn't THAT bad. This was the first time I've put names in auction, and I'm sure these names have never been in auction. Just wanted to shoot some holes in the theories posted here about the same old names.

OH, and I was the winning seller on the $3 sale, and I'm anxiously awaiting traffic on my PayPal account. Nothing yet :)

- Dale

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just sick at heart that our auction could go so badly (again)!

WHERE ARE ALL THE BUYERS???

If you don't have buyers, the sellers are wasting their time!

Dale, congrats on selling WirelessAgent.net for $3.00! Sad is that is, at least you made the sale. We definitely need MORE BUYERS and some BETTER Domains!

It's a little like the psychology of the national economy- if everyone is afraid to buy, then there are no sales and everyone suffers! I've bought three domains this week and sold 2 others- Let's get the sales flowing!

Everybody in the pool! Take your tax rebate and Buy! Buy! Buy!

IMHO,
WebCat

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's what I'm going to do... collect all the emails of the big bidders at Namewinner, Pool, etc, and at 9:45 AM send them ALL an email like this --

----

OH MY GOD, some guy has just posted a whole bunch of dictionary and 2 letter .Com names for auction at DNForum, and they started the live auction for him! Everything goes, starting bids at $50! Are you in on this?

-----

Pet da Kitty.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dale, GREAT IDEA! Somebody has GOT to do SOMETHING!

IMO, we are allowing a GOLDEN opportunity to slip away and die!

All we need are MORE BUYERS!!!!!!

This is SO friggin Stupid! Why will someone be willing to pay $500.00 at Namewinner, but won't bid $5.00 at DNF???

Let us all pray to the DotComGod!

MEOW!

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WebCat
This is SO friggin Stupid! Why will someone be willing to pay $500.00 at Namewinner, but won't bid $5.00 at DNF???

It was $500 at NameWinner or $350 at DNF. I think that answers your question, as the folks with the deepest pockets are 100% definitely NOT hanging around on the DNF auctions.

If in fact it HAD been $5 like you said, I'm 99.9% confident there would have been some bids.

While it's nice to see the enthusiasm some people have for the DNF auction, it's important to keep reality in the picture.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin, I was just making an analogy not a literal reference! But I think the point remains the same!

Where was the guy who bid the thing up to $500.00? WHY was he NOT at the DNF Auction tonight! He could have SAVED $150.00 AND gotten the domain he wanted!

In my (seldom) humble opinion THAT is what Administration needs to focus on! Get those people HERE! That guy wanted it- he COULD have gotten it!

I wonder how JuniperPark woiould be feeling with a $350.00 sale tonight to go with his $3.00 one!

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The guy wasn't here for one simple reason: by placing the bids he did at Pool, NameWinner etc. he sees EXACTLY and ONLY the domains he's interested in, at the prices he's interested in. By coming here he's got to wade through 99.99% uninteresting domains to see the few gems.

In other words, he'd just be wasting his probably VERY valuable time hanging out here.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe the guy had someting better to do on a Sunday night

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Edwin
The guy wasn't here for one simple reason: by placing the bids he did at Pool, NameWinner etc. he sees EXACTLY and ONLY the domains he's interested in, at the prices he's interested in. By coming here he's got to wade through 99.99% uninteresting domains to see the few gems.

In other words, he'd just be wasting his probably VERY valuable time hanging out here.

Sorry Ed but thats just lame..

"wade" thru 40 names or a hundred names ? big deal.. guys wade through tens of thosands of names just to place a bid at a namewinner, snaps etc... but then again those sites are advertised "lightbulb"

Juniper is on the correct path.. dosent have to be spam.. but the auction has to be advertised..

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not at all. There are approx. 24 million registered .com domains, 4 million .net domains and 2.6 million .org domains. Less than 1 in 10 of those domains is in use for a live site, meaning that there are over 27 million "potential" domains for sale.

Contrast that with a few thousand or tens of thousand domains dropping each day and it's a totally different story. See, the difference is the guy bidding at NW, Pool etc. knows for a fact that the domain WILL drop - the only question is WHO will get it (which is why he/she is presumably bidding) Plus they only have to read through that day's drop list (or the list 30 days out, or 60, or whatever - it's still a very limited number of domains)

On the other hand, the aftermarket consists of 27 million potential domains, some of which may or may not be for sale, none of which (approximately) are guaranteed to be available at any particular time.

I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but the domain aftermarket and the domain drop game are as different as chalk and cheese.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that on any given week, there are generally ZERO domains on auction valuable enough for one of the big drop catching players to:-

A) regularly check the auction listings
B) Put in a proxy bid
C) Remember to come back and sit through the auction in person, waiting for that name to come up
D) Outbid others for the domain

The serious players are much too busy to mess around with the above process for a few highly marginal names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom