Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Taking a new approach in selling .com's

Status
Not open for further replies.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My new strategy is to increase my profits. Rather then just flipping an expired domain for a quick buck, I'm going to develop it using wordpress and optimize it to rank 1st on search results on search engines and then flip it for more profit to the same end users I was going to sell too! instead of $250-$500 - I'll sell them a domain, website and 1st on google for $1500.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This could work. Are you familiar/comfortable with moving developed WP sites to new servers?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good strategy for product/service domains. Plenty of clueless end users that still don't get it, but if you show them your ranked #1 for their main keyword, they will listen to your sales pitch instead of thinking "well I can just register another domain for $10".

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good strategy for product/service domains. Plenty of clueless end users that still don't get it, but if you show them your ranked #1 for their main keyword, they will listen to your sales pitch instead of thinking "well I can just register another domain for $10".

I loose a good chunk of profit to end users with this attitude. I'm trying out my first wordpress website out and will update everyone if I succeed to sell it.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

This could work. Are you familiar/comfortable with moving developed WP sites to new servers?

Yes, why?

5head

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the new strategy. What domain gets the honor of being your first build out?

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, why?

I have considered this in the past, but I'm not that confident in moving a WP site including improvements/content to a new server. I just wanted to make sure you have thought about that part of the process. It seems problematic, but that's only because I don't know what I'm doing. Please keep us posted on the stratgey as you implement it.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry to rain on the parade of those who think development increases the chance of a sale and its price. IMO, the exact opposite is true with a parked domain normally being more attractive (serious buyers in particular).

They rarely if ever care about traffic, google results, keyword rank, SEO, revenue, and page rank. An end-user does not ask about or want to look at that stuff. They may also be negative you pre-branded the domain (possibly not the branding or category they invisioned). Another negative is a developed site (including small or minisites) will usually get far less sale inquiries vs a parked page.

p.s. This does not imply I am against development. The opposite is true but for other reasons.

Last edited:

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't think an end user cares about traffic and generating leads for their business you're an idiot. No offense. You don't confuse the end user with stuff like SEO and PR you talk on their level about what they care about. They don't have to know anything about SEO to know a #1 ranking on google has value and will benefit them through increased exposure.

You also have to keep in mind that some domains you own will never sell. If that's the case, you've lost money on the domain through repeated renewal fees (assuming it's not a traffic domain that's not earning anything).

Had you taken the route of development, if you know what you're doing, you can turn that domain into a money maker, turning a scenario that would have lost you money into something that is now making passive income for you.

How that is a bad idea boggles my mind.

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Davids post. But, I was thinking to first pitch the domain to endusers and if it doesn't sell, develop rank and try to sell again.

I have some exact geo-service names that I would think companies have to be crazy not to take it at the low price I offered (very low $xxx). Even some adwords advertisers didn't get it. Perhaps they will change their mind when it ranks in the top three but then I would have to contact them again which may look spammy.

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is Wordpress the best way to go? I'm curious what feedback is out there?

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree, you will get no value for development in most cases, most of the time end users are looking for the domain to start a new brand, or warehouse the domain for future use. Developing will be a waste of time, as you will be looking for a premium the user might not be willing to pay.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on which type of domains you're selling.
Some end users (typically webmasters) like domains with SEO & PR. Even when the domains are not great. But not saying they will spend a lot of money either.
For keyword domains the approach might work.
For more brandable/business oriented domains David makes a good point. Prebranding may be a negative point.

I have sold plenty of domains that have zero SEO or search volume, they just happened to have brandability and the end users liked them.
The answer imo is: it depends on the domain.

But I doubt you are going to reach #1 spot in Google easily, without good contents and a lot of time and effort.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dj's are broke. Low end users.

And what's your point? If they're broke as you suggest they want to make money, no?

A lot of them care about an online presence.

One of my high school buddies was a very successful DJ, produced his own music, has his own record label, etc.

They are definitely not all broke, and I am sure for many DJs, having a good brandable domain would certainly interest them.

Last edited:

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sold a domain to a disk jockey several weeks ago for $1000, anyone questioning their industry has no experience dealing with them. I do, I have sold numerous domains to their industry in several countries.... you're misinformed.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sold a domain to a disk jockey several weeks ago for $1000, anyone questioning their industry has no experience dealing with them. I do, I have sold numerous domains to their industry in several countries.... you're misinformed.

I personally know a few DJ's, and the good ones get paid VERY well. Since they are booked in advance, a potential client's ability to check out their work before contacting them is absolutely vital, and for that reason, I do agree that a solid domain will do very well for a DJ.

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A client I do some freelance work for flies DJ's around around Europe. Big business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom