Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Taking a new approach in selling .com's

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 70408

Sorry to rain on the parade of those who think development increases the chance of a sale and its price. IMO, the exact opposite is true with a parked domain normally being more attractive (serious buyers in particular).

I agree with this. One sale I made this past week was to someone who visited the domain name, saw that there was a link that said "this domain name may be for sale" and inquired via that link. If I had a website on there, he may have chosen an alternate domain name, since he mentioned that he was considering another name.

If you know you can make money with development, by all means do it. However, I would rather leave a name undeveloped and hope someone lands on a parked page and inquires rather than building something that might not make money anyway.

Also, on this particular sale, the buyer did not ask anything about traffic or other stats. He is going to build a business on the domain name, and that information was likely inconsequential.

On the other hand, I also sold one developed domain name last week via the contact form on the site. This is far more rare though and is actually a first for me, although I have sold a number of names via the parked page form.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sell domains on a monthly basis undeveloped, people are missing the bigger picture of my post. Some industries prefer developed domains ranked in the top 10 search results, knowing what domain to develop will only increase your profit!

CorrectName.Com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've seen this offered as a strategy on an popular IM forum. I can see how some small business owners wouldn't like this, but others would. I mean if you fing the right one they have been working on ranking foir a term poorly and their domain is nothing to brag about. They see a better name ranked right where they want...right buyer (and plus the site is designed). Sure will hold a lot more weight being number one than saying this site can be number 1.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
back in da day

i used to be a dj

with 2 turntables

hold'n the m i c

spinin the 16inch reel to reels

while i'm rockin the parrrty!

dj's do make duckies, if they can move the crowd

:)

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My new strategy is to increase my profits. Rather then just flipping an expired domain for a quick buck, I'm going to develop it using wordpress and optimize it to rank 1st on search results on search engines and then flip it for more profit to the same end users I was going to sell too! instead of $250-$500 - I'll sell them a domain, website and 1st on google for $1500.

Good luck with that. There are hundreds of thousands of people trying to do the same thing. Trust me, it's much, much harder than it looks to rank a bunch of names on the first page.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that. There are hundreds of thousands of people trying to do the same thing. Trust me, it's much, much harder than it looks to rank a bunch of names on the first page.

+1. Depending on the keywords, you could be in the thousands. FYI Domains, Hosting, Insurance, Travel, Legal, and Career are the most competitive and costly.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Get one thing straight , luck is irrelevant and I don't need to trust you. Your experience or what ever you think you got is baseless. I optimize domains for clients on a monthly basis and rank them in top 10 and in most cases 1st with very little SEO Do your homework before posting silly comments. Majority of DISK JOCKEYS are local, and local listings are a piece of cake when it comes to top 10 listings. DJ's don't spend thousands of dollars to list on top! Unless you're in miami, new york. The rest of the local towns are small and don't require any luck.

Since I sell domains to small businesses on a monthly basis for a good few years now, I understand what they want and what sells. They prefer a domain name with website 50% of the time. By developing a domain name, you only increase your profit! Otherwise if the buyer doesn't want your website they will just take the domain name. 1 out of 2 end users always ask me if their is a website that comes with it. I sell to small businesses and I don't know where you get your facts from that you think luck plays a role in selling or ranking domain names.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
everything is relevant, when you're a salesman.

and yes, often your skills and experience can get the job done, but the possibility of "luck" playing any part of any sale...should never be discarded.

on any particular day when you snag a client, that client could have taken a different route, been sick, went broke, bought a name a day before you called, etc.

the things or events that put us together with the other party, are the things we have the least amount of control over.

just like something brought us to dnf originally, something brings a seller and a buyer together at that moment...

what should we call that, chance, fate, destiny, or what?

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what should we call that, chance, fate, destiny, or what?

When it's good and happens to your neighbor it's called luck. When's good and it happens to your sibling it's called chance. When it's good and it happens to your child it's called destiny. When it sucks and it happens to you it's called fate.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Luck is irrelevant, every SOUL creates his own luck if you prefer to use the word. Did luck tell me to spend 2 hours a night searching for expired domain names, did luck tell me to research 3 hours a day the industry I'm targetting? Did luck poke me and tell me to write a sales pitch in my email? Did luck poke me and say spend 15 hours a day 365 days a year to find end users?

Luck my dear friend Don is irrelevant when it comes down to hard work and experience. You take the initiative to sell your domain name not luck. Luck is when iphone.com owner has a product named iphone by Apple and sells for millions. Luck is when you play bingo and you hit the jackpot.

What about my Brother? or Father or the 4 year old Girl at the hospital fighting cancer? Is that bad luck? Luck is irrelevant!

kmp

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My new strategy is to increase my profits. Rather then just flipping an expired domain for a quick buck, I'm going to develop it using wordpress and optimize it to rank 1st on search results on search engines and then flip it for more profit to the same end users I was going to sell too! instead of $250-$500 - I'll sell them a domain, website and 1st on google for $1500.

I began doing this not to long ago with a few of my names, and I must say it's been successful. I took two of my names which didnt have any action and did some very small development with them. Pretty much glorified landing pages. Within a couple weeks I had both sites rankning on the first page of Google for those keywords. And within a week after that my traffic bumped up and three parties became interested. One sale is pending now. Heres the catch: I used names with 3k to 5k exact searches and "low" competition. One was a .org and the other a .com. I think the biggest contributing factor to the names ranking well were the age of the names. Both 10yr+ in age. Im saying this because I know a big fat 0 about SEO and both sites have only about half a parargraph of content on them. Now I wouldnt even attempt this with premium keywords with high comp, because that takes good SEO. But for those lingering semi-decent names you want to sell, this seems to work well.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Luck is irrelevant, every SOUL creates his own luck if you prefer to use the word. Did luck tell me to spend 2 hours a night searching for expired domain names, did luck tell me to research 3 hours a day the industry I'm targetting? Did luck poke me and tell me to write a sales pitch in my email? Did luck poke me and say spend 15 hours a day 365 days a year to find end users?

Luck my dear friend Don is irrelevant when it comes down to hard work and experience. You take the initiative to sell your domain name not luck. Luck is when iphone.com owner has a product named iphone by Apple and sells for millions. Luck is when you play bingo and you hit the jackpot.

What about my Brother? or Father or the 4 year old Girl at the hospital fighting cancer? Is that bad luck? Luck is irrelevant!

you're not in the hospital, so maybe you're lucky

my point:

a certain amount of arrogance is good to keep one motivated and on track, however...

too much arrogance and the message starts to get cloudy and the responders start to fade

as we accumulate more successes, we must strive to stay humble as well

but b who u b ...

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If luck did play a role then at what stage of the beginning of creation did some of us get stamped with bad luck? Hindu's claim that bad choices of past lives haunt you in the next life. If that was true, then again "What part of the beginning of creation did bad choices come into existence!".

I'm not a believer and never will be. Luck is a gateway excuse for anyone to use for anything good that comes to their life. No one wants to credit hard work and honesty in anything in todays world. I tell the person next to me I earned $10K last month and he turns around and says your so lucky. WTF did luck have to do with?

As soon as a loved one gets sick, people right away say "oh, so sorry for your bad luck".

Being humble and respecting others is part of being a honest and good person.

Good Thoughts
Good Words
Good Deeds

Good Energy returns, yes... but not because you got lucky! Because you made good choices!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tell the person next to me I earned $10K last month and he turns around and says your so lucky. WTF did luck have to do with?

that person could have told you the same thing .

where you not in the position you are in today, you may have told him "you're so lucky"

or you may still be lucky that that person hasn't tried to track you down and break in your house

as in lucky he isn't or wasn't a devious person

but if you re-read my posts, i did give full credit to "skill and experience" so i'm not saying your successes are just based on luck

being fortunate is being blessed

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What an interesting thread. Seems like everyone has his/her own philosophical view.

Should I call you all philosopher?

I wish I could jump in on this discussion. I'm still learning website.

Keep up with the posts.

Mir, by your words, you are a successful person. Hardworking, highly motivated, and in control of your success. I wouldn't see you as arrogant, but as confident. Haven't met you in person, but if you present well in person as you do in writing, maybe you can be a motivational speaker.

Maybe you can make more money in a few hours than you do in domaining.

Hope you'll be selling a lot of sites. Rank high and profit. Hope you'll continue to share with us of your experience.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
God bless you my friend. :)

What an interesting thread. Seems like everyone has his/her own philosophical view.

Should I call you all philosopher?

I wish I could jump in on this discussion. I'm still learning website.

Keep up with the posts.

Mir, by your words, you are a successful person. Hardworking, highly motivated, and in control of your success. I wouldn't see you as arrogant, but as confident. Haven't met you in person, but if you present well in person as you do in writing, maybe you can be a motivational speaker.

Maybe you can make more money in a few hours than you do in domaining.

Hope you'll be selling a lot of sites. Rank high and profit. Hope you'll continue to share with us of your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom