Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Thank You Oversee.net!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

Crown

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe they are trying to force some consolidation in the market?

Now, compare Godaddy - its only $18 for backorders. That is a deal!
Of course, they never actually get any domains. But you
sure feel good about the low price!

Its kind of surprising, given how large GoDaddy is in registrations,
that they do so poorly on backorders. Surely godaddy can see
this is a marketing opportunity.

Kevin

It would be a little wrong for GoDaddy to market a product more than they already do if the product doesnt really work. Not only do you often not get the names EVEN if they are GoDaddy.com registered but the chances are it will go straight to TDNAM anyway while they place a $10 bid on your behalf. Great, I want to get an edge on others by backordering a domain but I end up being the sucker who places the first bid on an auction the first second it comes out. I really feel GoDaddy and TDNAM are great but this system between the two isn't good from the buyers angle.

I'd like to see them have two or more rates, one is the cheapo not guaranteed anything backorder they have now and the second for $59+ (depending on type of name) but should you be the only one who backorders the name its yours!

I dont see why Snapnames rates are up unless its to cover for the additional support they now have (along with some extra profit). If you remember before the acquisition there was nowhere near the type of support we get now.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LoL... Neither Finland or Iceland belong to Scandinavia... a common mistake. Both belong to the so called "Nordic" countries, but "Scandinavia" is only made up by the other three, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. ;)

I am a bit confused. I always thought that Finland was also part of Scandinavia.

Here is what I found:
"Occasionally, sources limit the word "Scandinavia" to describe either only the three kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark; or Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland; or Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland."

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused. I always thought that Finland was also part of Scandinavia.

Here is what I found:
"Occasionally, sources limit the word "Scandinavia" to describe either only the three kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark; or Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland; or Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland."

From the Swedish version of Wikipedia: (Translated)

Scandinavia is a geographical and cultural region in northern Europe. Usually the term is used in its cultural meaning, and then covers Sweden, Denmark and Norway. In strictly geographical terms, the area includes the Scandinavian Peninsula with the Scandic Mountains, excluding Denmark, but including a small part of northwestern Finland.
Within the Nordic countries Scandinavia is counted as a part of “Norden” (the Nordic countries), which also includes the whole of Finland, Iceland, and the autonomous regions of Aland islands, Faroe Islands and Greenland.
Outside the Nordic countries the term “Nordic countries” isn’t as established, which has had the result that the name “Scandinavia” often mistakenly is used as synonymous with the Nordic countries.

Remark: Even the English version of Wikipedia reflects this misconception.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got my quote from wikipedia also.

What you are quoting actually says that Scandinavia in cultural meaning is Sweden, Denmark and Norway but in strictly geographical terms it's Sweden, Finland and Norway.

So it is safer to include both Denmark and Finland.

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Geographically it's just a small part of Finland, about 1/10th of the country, or less.
But I usually include Denmark, using the cultural meaning.
There apparently is a wider geographical term, "Fennoscandia", which also includes the rest of Finland, the Kola peninsula and Russian Karelia, bit I've never heard that term before reading about it in Wikipedia.
The normal meaning of "Scandinavia" in Scandinavia, is Sweden, Norway and Denmark, and "Scandinavian Peninsula" normally means Norway and Sweden.

Mahouni

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dunno... I'm from Finland and at least everybody here thinks it's part of scandinavia?

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Corporations using their economic muscle to sqeeze more profits from there workers or their small business clients. Nothing new here.

Anyone old enough to remember a time when unions and small business associations used to go on strike and have picket lines that stopped other workers or small business people from using a corporation they were striking against. A domainers union/association that excluded registrars from its membership and that had democratic annual conferences and could ballot its members for 'strikes' against registrars/drop-catchers/etc when they increase prices like this would be a great step forward for our industry and prevent it from effectively being monopolised and destroyed by registrars.

I'm not often political on this website for business reasons (I don't want to disrupt my business by talking politics) but as this is relevant to us all I think this is alright to talk about. We need a union, we need it to be democratic (annual conferences, one vote one member, not tied to any business activity such as a forum or even certification), and we need it to fight (ballot members to stop using certain services for a set amount of time, and do all it can to stop non members from using them (and thus scabbing) in that time period).

Just some thoughts.

getschoolhelp

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gotta love the greedy american government and companies.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Oversee is quickly becoming a Monopoly, the pricing will only increase the more they buy everyone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom