Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

the best money you spent on the net... on what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so you spend money here on the net everyday... whether its domains or whatever else you buy... what was the best and greatest move that really stands out as the "one" that resulted in a really great sale, etc.

share your experiences guys.. should be interesting :cheesy:

i'll go first.... thanks to a $6.95 godaddy backorder, a lil over a year ago i picked up a really nice domain with quiet a bit of adult traffic which i later sold for more then 1000 times of what i originally paid for it... it wasn't making that much at sedo so i thought i made out pretty well.. now i know that there is places that pay much more... and another important factor i didn't pick up on was that most of the traffic was type-ins.. domain is probably worth 5-10x right now

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domains are great for multiplying your money. It's the bad names which drag down the profits. I still believe that this business is one of the greatest ways to retire early out there. Time will tell.

I look at it like this: You pick up enough rocks and you"re liable to find a diamond eventually. Problem is, the more rocks you keep, the heavier your pockets get.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stevo said:
Domains are great for multiplying your money. It's the bad names which drag down the profits. I still believe that this business is one of the greatest ways to retire early out there. Time will tell.

I look at it like this: You pick up enough rocks and you"re liable to find a diamond eventually. Problem is, the more rocks you keep, the heavier your pockets get.

well.. i don't know about retiring early as a domainer... unless you have been buying up domains for years now and have a really nice portfolio going then that is definitely a possibility.. but for everybody else, i don't really see too many people that do this full time, 24/7/365.. who are that serious about it -- that they can "retire early" when they feel like it.

those with mostly traffic domains got a steady income and can sell off as they please... those with generics and short domains or what they might consider premium names.. or whatever.. the situation is a bit different.... no income and really have to be in the right place, in the right time, in the right mindset to get as much as possible for that one name... pretty difficult if you ask me'

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
honestly...I have made 2 great investmants in my domaining career:

the first was (and I know it sounds corny) becoming a member at DNF...I have learned so much at this forum over the last 2 years its amazing, if it was not for DNF I would not still be in this industry (infact I never would have started it to begin with)

the second was a domain I bought a week ago for $100...it now makes me $10 per day without any work...obviously this wouldnt be a huge success story to those of you who buy $10000 domains daily, but I now have a plan of how to get to where I want to be in 1-2 years time and this one investment has been an amazing learning experience

great choice for a thread topic BTW :)

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
adams tight lie 3 wood ... it's shaved 3 or 4 strokes off my game, handicap down to 9

domains .. no big winners to date

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I reg'd a domain in 99 I think...then sold it this year for 17k. Sure that may sound like a long time but I did very little development. It was a good name and it's kinda funny. You know how sometimes you register a trademarked name....then you get sued. Well it turns out my name LOST the trademark since the original company didn't care about this old product. So another company got it released...then they tried to get the name trademarked for themselves. Then I got an email with their attempt at getting the name from me. My lawyer quickly expressed that my usage of the name was before theirs and that I had first claim to any trademark. So I ended up selling to them at a premium. It's great to have a lawyer. :)

I also bought one name for 2k and sold it within a week for $6500. I thought that felt pretty good. I have had other good stories too....I spend $300 sell for $1500 a month later. I am sure we all have those stories. I just got a site sold today that I made 10x on in a month too. Low money but still...it's a week salary for little work.

I am very happy so far...been making 3-8k per month domaining. I plan to double that soon enough. I got me a bonafide plan. :)

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
honestly...I have made 2 great investmants in my domaining career:

the first was (and I know it sounds corny) becoming a member at DNF...I have learned so much at this forum over the last 2 years its amazing, if it was not for DNF I would not still be in this industry (infact I never would have started it to begin with)

the second was a domain I bought a week ago for $100...it now makes me $10 per day without any work...obviously this wouldnt be a huge success story to those of you who buy $10000 domains daily, but I now have a plan of how to get to where I want to be in 1-2 years time and this one investment has been an amazing learning experience

great choice for a thread topic BTW :)

yes, dnf is the best domain forum period.. i think i first learned about it from seeing many ad's of it on ebay... which is where i started selling off my domains early on.... i remember trying to run around like 10 domain forums at first, i rarely visit any others except this one this days.. dnf has it all'

your latest investment was a great one indeed.. one great thing i love about this biz is that you are always learning something new, everyday... and there is always something going on, maybe not every day but every week or two something interesting pops up... which is pretty cool ;)

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I had registered a name a long time ago in the 1998 or 1999 , and I sold it for a very very high price which made me get into the domain business and invest into the domains.

A quote
People say if yo have the market well you can do something so this is like if you have the domains which are worth you can easily get them sold.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
labrocca said:
I reg'd a domain in 99 I think...then sold it this year for 17k. Sure that may sound like a long time but I did very little development. It was a good name and it's kinda funny. You know how sometimes you register a trademarked name....then you get sued. Well it turns out my name LOST the trademark since the original company didn't care about this old product. So another company got it released...then they tried to get the name trademarked for themselves. Then I got an email with their attempt at getting the name from me. My lawyer quickly expressed that my usage of the name was before theirs and that I had first claim to any trademark. So I ended up selling to them at a premium. It's great to have a lawyer. :)

I also bought one name for 2k and sold it within a week for $6500. I thought that felt pretty good. I have had other good stories too....I spend $300 sell for $1500 a month later. I am sure we all have those stories. I just got a site sold today that I made 10x on in a month too. Low money but still...it's a week salary for little work.

I am very happy so far...been making 3-8k per month domaining. I plan to double that soon enough. I got me a bonafide plan. :)

i regged my first domain sometime around that time period as well.. unfortunately i was just reggin domains as vhosts and/or cool web/email addresses... and com/net/org just didnt make any sense to me since i was just a kid.. so basically i was going with all the cctld's like cc, nu, ms... registered tons of short, catchy ones but unfortunately.. they are pretty much worthless, if only i had known about the real domain industry and this whole phenomenon... man, i think about this stuff every now and then.. makes you wanna scream.. if only... but.. ahhhh.. oh well ;)

those sales that i like to call "quickies" are pretty sweet.. a week or month later you do 5/10x which is always great...

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Few months ago, I picked up a drop for regfee and sold it for mid $xxxx back to the original holder.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So last night, after getting home from a crazy party (on a Wednesday night, lol) I signed on to MSN and made a deal for a very similar domain to the one that I mentioned earlier in the thread ($10 per day). This one cost me all of $125 and has already recieved (in about 8 hours) 400 visitors and has made $5 for me...

thats the third great investment of my life!

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
This one cost me all of $125 and has already recieved (in about 8 hours) 400 visitors and has made $5 for me...

thats the third great investment of my life!

you paid $125 for something that brought u $5 bucks, and thats's the 3rd great investment of your life? :undecided

i don't mean to poop on your party, but u might want to refrase something there :cool:g

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Money-making-wise, here's just one example out of many:

In 2002, I'd reg'd a pair of .COMs (regular version + hyphenated one); they were among the first ones I'd purchased for resale.

Last year I still had the names, but I was going to let them expire. I think they were in pending delete when Enom (!) called me, asking if I had any plans to renew the domains.
So I figured I better renew them after all, and told them yes. They said "Oh OK then, never mind", and that was the end of that conversation.
Strange!

I immediately renewed the names -which luckily was still possible- and then a couple of months later I sold the pair for a sum in the mid $x,xxx after someone inquired about them, making me an offer I did not want to refuse. :-D

Best,
Rob

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whatchamacallit said:
you paid $125 for something that brought u $5 bucks, and thats's the 3rd great investment of your life? :undecided

i don't mean to poop on your party, but u might want to refrase something there :cool:g

I think you're missing a major point, $5 in 8 hours = $15 / Day = $5475 / Year! Not bad at all for a $125 investment and zero effort :)

- Rob

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>> Originally Posted by whatchamacallit
>>you paid $125 for something that brought u $5 bucks, and thats's the 3rd
>> great investment of your life?

>> i don't mean to poop on your party, but u might want to refrase something there

Sounds excellent to me.

If he earns $5 in 8 hours, or $10 to $15 in a day. that works out at at least $3,650 year in year out (assuming no increase and no reduction in rate).

Another 9 of those and he'll be getting $36,500 a year for doing very little.

Sorry, you beat me to it Rob!

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNF is without doubt the best investment I made. In 6 months it's turned domaining from a hobby (200 domains, $500/month in ppc rev) into half my buisness (1100+ domains, a LOT more ppc rev)

Individual bests are a reg fee domain sold for $5k, and a reg fee domain earning average $27/day ppc.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The first domain I got was BlondeTest.com, paid $8 for it, sold it for very low $xxx, was great to me, and that made it official, I was going to be a domainer!

Jeanco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm still new to the business, and plan on making some higher end purchases when I have the money.

Right now its a hobby for me to develop my names and sell the websites. One example is www.epasture.com - the price I sold for I regret a little now, as I'm sure I could've got a lot more... but hey it's a learning experience. And on the good side, the purchaser has come back for me to develop a few other domains of his... so it has built a good relationship.

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jeanco - really nice what you did with it (always glad to see someone resell a domain they bought from me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom