Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The end of OVT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a thread solely related to this topic yet...so I figured I'd start one.

Overture's Inventory tool has been down for quite a while now. I doubt its ever coming back. The OVT was a great help, not just for trying to determine type-in traffic, but also the relative sizes of different web markets. Just now I was thinking about developing a domain and wanted to check its growth potential. Not having the OVT tool makes doing this much trickier. It wasn't a perfect tool, but damn, I miss it and I'm sure other domainers do as well.

Thoughts?

Domain Days 2024

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
by down you mean not updated right?

remf

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, I've heard similar rumours in the past few months, and as the release of Panama draws nearer I can almost definitely see it going for good. It's going to force a lot of domainers to re-evaluate their strategies and it will be interesting to see how the market changes in terms of typo buying - presumably we're going to see tasting increase, but what about ccTLD's and other extensions?

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mate http://inventory.overture.com works fine from where Im sitting :/

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif] Keyword Selector Tool[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Not sure what search terms to bid on?
Enter a term related to your site and we will show you: Related searches that include your term
How many times that term was searched on last month Get suggestions for: (may take up to 30 seconds)

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Note: All suggested search terms are subject to our standard editorial review process. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
var s_pageName = document.title;
s0599883327523
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Searches done in November 2006[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Count[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Search Term[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 143094[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]briggs myers personality test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 125912[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]test test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 88856[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]iq test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 81543[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]speed test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 60998[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]personality test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 51883[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]test typing[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 40392[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]internet speed test[/FONT]

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oveture has been down a lot lately but it still works.

There is also google.com/trends to help. Doesn't give numbers to the names but does help to see where names are marketable.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What happen is that your IP got blocked. You are probably having a automated program to search for OVT. What I have learned is that there is a seven seconds minimum delay you must set otherwise your ip will be banned and you can no longer can search for OVT.

If you use DHCP, try to reset your router to get a new IP. That might work...

KW

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a thread solely related to this topic yet...so I figured I'd start one.

Overture's Inventory tool has been down for quite a while now. I doubt its ever coming back. The OVT was a great help, not just for trying to determine type-in traffic, but also the relative sizes of different web markets. Just now I was thinking about developing a domain and wanted to check its growth potential. Not having the OVT tool makes doing this much trickier. It wasn't a perfect tool, but damn, I miss it and I'm sure other domainers do as well.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I have been experiencing lots of downtime with OVT nowadays as well. Google Trends I find to be useful data too.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they only allow a finite number of simultaneous connections anyway, so it looks like there was a socket timeout above, or as varchar suggests, a blocked IP.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So it's possible they blocked a range of IPs? Because, I haven't been able to connect to OVT in a while and I dont use anytype of programs to search for ovt. One By One, by hand

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.ovtd.com/search.php
works fine from where i am seated now. Perhaps you are sending too many queries at once.

@Remf: who is Panama if I may ask

3dGEEK

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It still works for me :cheesy:

.... BUT very very SLLLOOOWW :disappointed:

:greenconfused:

remf

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ian: Panama is the new release of Yahoo's PPC tool. An updated version of Overture more inline with Google's Adwords. Coming out Q1 '07.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So it's possible they blocked a range of IPs? Because, I haven't been able to connect to OVT in a while and I dont use anytype of programs to search for ovt. One By One, by hand

If IPs are sequential then yes.. I have 27 IPs which are non-sequential just for scanning

RegFee

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Works fine for me now, but definitely doesn't stay that way for long. If you think it's your ip being banned, use one of the millions of proxy sites to try visiting the site.
The downtime is probably just due to the new PPC system remf talked about, but I don't think they would just eliminate the keyword tool without some notice. They have to know the site gets an insane amount of traffic, they should think of some way to capitalize on that.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i always use keyword box- much much MUCH faster

RegFee

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own xOVT.com, which uses the same script as KeywordBox. It has to query overture just like a browser would, so they only thing that makes it faster is that the actual page with the form doesn't take forever to load like inventory.overture.com does.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The downtime is probably just due to the new PPC system remf talked about, but I don't think they would just eliminate the keyword tool without some notice. They have to know the site gets an insane amount of traffic, they should think of some way to capitalize on that.

fwiw,
They did give notice about the view bids tool being removed - not the keyword tool but closely related.

Sent on 11/29/06
Dear Advertiser,

As you will soon notice when you log into your Sponsored Search account, we are making some important changes to your Manage Bids page.

In early December 2006, some of the information on the Manage Bids page will no longer be available. We will be removing the "Top 5 Max Bids," "Position" and "Your Cost" columns from the current account interface. The View Bids tool will also be removed.

More info here
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/ysm/mkvt/why_changes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom