Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The future of long domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was doing some research on locative media and I think I just discovered the longest active domain name on the entire net:
registeringdomainnamesismorefunthandoingrealwork. com

After browsing through the blog, there isn't any indication that the author might be a domainer. I think the domain is very descriptive and could be a great domain for a developed site with a hardcore 24/7 domainer community.

Long domain names, if descriptive enough, may actually have a market out there. Say you don't own pink. com, what's the alternative? everythinginpink. com (taken) or everythingispink (taken) or everythingthatispink. com. Shorter domains tend to be valued more because they are easier to remember. The same ease of remembering when applied to longer names could be the ingredient necessary in creating a desirable domain. Phrases during conversational speak tend to be easy to remember, no matter how long. Examples:

thingstodobeforeyoudie. com (taken)
iwillalwaysloveyou. com (taken)
lookingforagooddeal. com
tellmesomethingidontknow. com (taken)
ireallyneedanexpert. com
imrunningoutoftime. com (taken)
whatshouldidowithmysparetime. com
hotspotsinmycity. com

Descriptive, long but kind of easy to recall. While long domains will never be a substitute for shorter domains and won't be valued nearly as much there may be an untapped demand for them out there. Thoughts? Experiences?

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There isn't one from a reseller's perspective.

Once a domain name gets longer, more synonym possibilities open up so that the user can get one for reg fee rather than paying full price.

So, if getmealowermortgagerate.com is taken, "get" can be replaced with "find", "lower" can be replaced with "better", "mortgage rate" can be replaced with "rate on my mortgage", etc.

Additionally, given the complexity there's a higher likelihood to misspell or use the wrong word (as above), even the most dim-witted of end-users would know to opt for a shorter domain somehow.

Unfortunately, all these new TLD's coming in will be perceived by a dim-witted end user much differently than us domainers will see them. The novelty of a name like "lowerrate.football", which will be taken in .com, but not in most of these wacky TLD's, will give end users options they'll like to get a shorter name.

I think we domainers can agree it's foolish... but I have a feeling there will be an epidemic of this once the new TLD's come into the mainstream.

adrlux

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Different Projects or companies are choosing long Names as short ones are no longer available. Some are even there just to have a good Google Ranking, for example HostingwithfreeDomain.com Every one using this term on Google will fall on this Domain.

Deleted member 73132

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even with new TLD's where you can get shorter names there is an internet "credibility" lost. .com will always rule and there will be relatively short permutations of anything that will be available. Having a ".com" address is like saying "we are for real".

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the future of long domains, started long ago :)

it was only domainers who gave appraisals against them, saying "your domain is too long"

meanwhile, the savvy were regging them up

now, the majority of "three, four and even five word generic domains for top keyword/subject" categories are taken in .com

so i would say the future is now for long domains

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some slogan domains are pretty good and memorable. Selling them is another matter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom