Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The Internet's 100 Oldest Dot-Com Domain Official List

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can remove the E-mail addresses so they don't receive more spam.

Domain summit 2024

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I realize obviously that back in the early days of the net, hyphens were probably even the more accepted way of splitting words/terms, but it's still a bit amusing to see the 20th oldest name on the internet be a hyphen domain.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You would be amazed at the crap that was registered back in the early days. Back then the quality of domain names was not important. Companies would often use their acronym so a good deal of LL & LLL were taken early.
Also, domain names were restricted to 'serious' business so it was not conceivable to register something like... sex.com for example :) Your application would have been thrown away ;)

Last edited:

Giode

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a list of all the domains registered back in 1994, and surprisingly, almost every Single Character .com (one letter/number) was registered. Even more suprisingly is how few of those companies were able to hold on to them.

WhiteLight

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This was interesting thread thank you. One person asked how much was registration back then. That was my initial thought also. Does anyone know? Also, were 1 character domains allowed to be registered back then as another mentioned that they were all reg'ed and dropped? I thought 1 characters were new stuff in the dot coms!

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Believe it or not, registrations were free. One simply had to apply for a domain, explain the reasons why they had to have it and they'd get it! Later on, in 1995, the fee became $100 for two year registrations.

Developper

I am creating new gTLD's
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, it was John Postel himself who registered all single character domains back then. And they all had been taken away by ICANN over the time, only 3 survived (z.com, x.com and q.com). But ICANN will redistribute them in a short while, albeit those will be VERY expensive.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Well, it was John Postel himself who registered all single character domains back then. And they all had been taken away by ICANN over the time, only 3 survived (z.com, x.com and q.com). But ICANN will redistribute them in a short while, albeit those will be VERY expensive.

ICANNT released them last year.

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
I have a list of all the domains registered back in 1994, and surprisingly, almost every Single Character .com (one letter/number) was registered. Even more suprisingly is how few of those companies were able to hold on to them.

Can you give the list of domains in 1994? How many are there.

Giode

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can you give the list of domains in 1994? How many are there.

Sure! If anyone wants the list, just pm me at your personal email and I'll attach and send.

btw: it's a list of all the domains registered in 1993, not 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators