Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The live auctions have lost their "Live"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something needs to be done to add some life to these auctions...thats was horrible..

I dont know if it is just an extension of the overall "sadness" of the domain market right now or lost of interest but that was bad

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take away the sales of the two 3-letter coms (which also sold for miserable prices) and the average sale was a little over 3 bucks. Ugh.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just bought store[color=ff0000]live[/color].com at the auction tonight. Not bad at all, I'd say. :)

By the way, thanks to the prompt and smooth transaction with Richard (ComDeals.com), the name is now in my portfolio.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A quick view of the stats definitely paints an ugly picture.
48 of 242 domains listed were sold (19.84%). Even worse, 41 of the 48 domains that did sell, sold for UNDER $10! And still worse than that, 19 of the 41 that sold, sold for $1 (just under 50% of all sales were $1!) Is that worth anyone's time?

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the market is depressed right now. The market doesn't lie. I've heard that some people do better on "ebay"??? Maybe so if your selling "generic.com"... but most names are "So-So.com", or names like "StoreBoughten.com". You have to question the bids some of those names get.

Keep everything in perspective. At least on DNF, you have recourse if someone tries to shill a domain. At least you actually know some of the buyers/sellers. At least you know you are "moving" on a name, that someone else "may" or "may never" buy. More times than not these names expire.

Oh...and again. The market is depressed. As soon as it picks up names like "StoreBoughten.com" won't sound to bad for $25. I think to add some spice to the auctions, why not add "other things" to attract people. Auction "services" by other members (i.e logos, website development, etc).

Just my .02...

Y

_Yakov_

.... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... we need to improve the auction system and to introduce ther reserve price so that good domains can be put on the auction to attract bidders .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ... ... ... ... .. .. . . ...

Y

_Yakov_

Originally posted by izopod
I think the market is depressed right now. The market doesn't lie. I've heard that some people do better on "ebay"??? Maybe so if your selling "generic.com"... but most names are "So-So.com", or names like "StoreBoughten.com". You have to question the bids some of those names get.

Keep everything in perspective. At least on DNF, you have recourse if sometime tries to shill a domain. At least you actually know some of the buyers/sellers. At least you know you are "moving" on a name, that someone else "may" or "may never" buy. More times than not these names expire.

Oh...and again. The market is depressed. As soon as it picks up names like "StoreBoughten.com" won't sound to bad for $25. I think to add some spice to the auctions, why not add "other things" to attract people. Auction services (i.e logo, website, etc).

Just my .02...

Market picks up already. We'll hopefuly see many BIG sales soon

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The main reason I came up with the live auction was for the fun. A get together every Sunday night. At the very first auction I felt like I was in a room (small) with 135+ people. There was electricity in the air. People were excited. Out of necessity the system had to become more mechanical and less personal.

In the beginning the chat room would still be buzzing 2 hours after the auction was over. Some people still go to the chat room and socialize during the auction but fewer and fewer people are doing that each week.

I'm sure the new guys will come up with a solution. :)

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the forum needs to be "freed up" as much as possible.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gregr
There was electricity in the air. People were excited. Out of necessity the system had to become more mechanical and less personal.

Yeah, that was one of those "Watson, come here I want you...." moments. Something I'll never forget. It was exciting.

A typical comment that night:

"Shhhh...Damn it let the man type the next bid in for godsakes "

GregR:

Next domain, "altanator.org"... $20K ....Any bids?

:laugh:

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It WAS fun and exciting. Now, it's complete deadsville.
And still no official word from management. :eek:
Have a good day.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about copy domainstates ebay method.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One difference between then and now is that while I was the owner, I and a couple of others sacrificed a lot of good domain names to get the auction rolling. aactive comes to mind as another that sacrificed domains for the good of the auctions.
On at least one occasion someone bought one of my names for $275 here and turned around and sold it on Afternic for $500.
I'm no longer inclined to sacrifice domain names. :)

M

mole

One difference between then and now is that while I was the owner, I and a couple of others sacrificed a lot of good domain names to get the auction rolling. aactive comes to mind as another that sacrificed domains for the good of the auctions.
On at least one occasion someone bought one of my names for $275 here and turned around and sold it on Afternic for $500.

Billgates.com $1

:D

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

$225 difference? not exactly a sacrifice Greg...UNLESS you paid at least $275 for it to begin with.

I do agree though, that a large part of what is missing is yourself and others offering up some nice "top tier" domains that brought in buyers.

And that had a nice trickle down effect..

The other part is as you were saying earlier .. a kind of loss of community.. I never participated in the chat room before ( I cant type that fast..so chat rooms arent that enjoyable for me) but I know there was always a nice group of people that hung out their.

I also think part of it is just the overall sluggish economy ..it's affecting most every industry ..

M

mole

Originally posted by bidawinner
I also think part of it is just the overall sluggish economy ..it's affecting most every industry ..

Damn this SARS.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... One difference between then and now is that while I was the owner, I ... [color=ff0000]sacrificed[/color] a lot of good domain names to get the auction rolling ...
In everyday English, it's more commonly known as "promotion". LOL! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom