Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The live auctions have lost their "Live"

Status
Not open for further replies.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
...(just under 50% of all sales were $1!) Is that worth anyone's time?

Only if you are a buyer and get a $1 deal.

I sacrified a few at a $1, but had to quit doing it since... hey they cost more than that! Looks like a lot of others have taken the same view.

The real problem is the buyers are all wholesale resellers, not retail end user buyers.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains

Only if you are a buyer and get a $1 deal.

I sacrified a few at a $1, but had to quit doing it since... hey they cost more than that! Looks like a lot of others have taken the same view.

The real problem is the buyers are all wholesale resellers, not retail end user buyers.

I don't think we will ever see retail end user buyers here. This business is a very specialized niche industry. General business people don't even know DNF exists. They will formulate a name that would be good for their business and then see if it is available (through a registrar, by typing it into a browser or by looking at a WhoIs and contacting the owner). They are only interested in one name (perhaps with some variations on the theme). They are not interested in wading through hundreds of names, most completely unrelated to their needs, hoping to find something they might possibly be able to use.

I think what we have, a reseller to reseller auction, is what we will always have, like it or not. If there is some way to make that work fine - if not, that's life. As beatz pointed out, the primary purpose of this place has always been a forum where domainers could interact. As Bidawinner pointed out, it has also been a valuable resource for new people entering the business to learn the ropes from veterans and keep the industry growing.

If the focus is changing to be a platform to reach retail end users - to become another Afternic for example - then it will be something entirely different that what we originally came here for. The forum slogan is now "building an online community for serious domain owners". Actually that community had already been built, it was unique and it was the reason DNF was such a success. If DNF is now to become another of the many retail sales platforms it is no longer unique and I think in extreme danger of losing its appeal to most who are here.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

If DNF is now to become another of the many retail sales platforms it is no longer unique and I think in extreme danger of losing its appeal to most who are here.

I agree.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Duke ... nice to read your input, as you've kinda been "flying below the radar" (or is it, "above the fray") of late. :D
The interesting thing for me is how new ownership continues to offer that we embark on a course for "retail" traffic, and "corporate" buyers, etc. While I'm still waiting to see how this will be implemented specifically, I can't seem to get past the idea that it would completely change what this place is and has always been ... as you've wisely pointed out. Basically, I don't get it ... it can only be one or the other, IMHO.
Take care.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
Thanks, Duke ... nice to read your input, as you've kinda been "flying below the radar" (or is it, "above the fray") of late.

Just trying to get my bearings in the new surroundings. It's like coming home from work one day and finding the wife and kids are gone, the furniture has all been re-arranged and someone's else's clothes are hanging in my closet. :)

Too early to jump to any conclusions and new management deserves time to get their bearings and plot their future course as well.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Just trying to get my bearings in the new surroundings. It's like coming home from work one day and finding the wife and kids are gone, the furniture has all been re-arranged and someone's else's clothes are hanging in my closet. :)

Too early to jump to any conclusions and new management deserves time to get their bearings and plot their future course as well.

Fair enough ... and honest! Thanks.
I've been thinking about that last part ... quite a bit, as you can imagine. Agreed. I only ask that since we're a paid membership that we be kept apprised of manangement's decisions/plottings (for lack of a better term). Communication is key to a paid clientele! I haven't been getting the "warm and fuzzies" on this aspect, of late.
Appreciate it.
:cool:

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam, Coolhost tore into me for a few weeks after his metamorphous from ModemGal. He can be like fingernails on a chalk board. I had to put him on my ignore list.

Then he dogged the moderators. I banned him for a day. He was a model citizen after that. Hint Hint. :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gregr
Adam, Coolhost tore into me for a few weeks after his metamorphous from ModemGal. He can be like fingernails on a chalk board. I had to put him on my ignore list.

Then he dogged the moderators. I banned him for a day. He was a model citizen after that. Hint Hint. :)

If banning him for one day worked that well, just think how much he would shape up if you kicked him out for six months or so! :D

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey, it wasn't a full day ... only a couple few hours.
Plus, I haven't dogged any moderator(s) this time, only management! :D
Thanks.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Modemgal banned for 6 months would be really cool. Think about it.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jh3
Modemgal banned for 6 months would be really cool. Think about it.

That's funny, JH3 ... as since YOU recently became UNbanned, the site has taken a severe turn for the worse! Coincidence? Nope, not in a million years. Allowing previously BANNED members such as yourself to return to the site was Error #1 by new management ... in the ever elusive quest ($$) for the "magical 300 Platinum".
Come to think of it, JH3, I have never seen one "constructive" post from you, ever. You have an obsession with the past, and as others have pointed out over and over ... you are ever-malicious, and always cynical. And those are your good qualities. :eek: :D
See you.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you look really hard you might find one or 2 "constructive" posts.

I am sorry I don't go around and put good luck, stay cool in every thread created on this message board just so I can get some forum bucks. I can guarentee you that my 280 or so posts carry a lot more weight and I bet my opinions are worth a little more to the people around here that know what's going on.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jh3
If you look really hard you might find one or 2 "constructive" posts.

I am sorry I don't go around and put good luck, stay cool in every thread created on this message board just so I can get some forum bucks. I can guarentee you that my 280 or so posts carry a lot more weight and I bet my opinions are worth a little more to the people around here that know what's going on.

I don't believe that for a second.
I have $2.00 DNF Bucks, JH3. Gave 'em all away, always have!
Let's just "agree to disagree" here and move forward ... there are a LOT of more important things to be talking about right now, JH3.
Take care.
PS. Good Luck, and Stay :cool: , friend. :D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains
I started another thread with some possible solutions to maybe make the auction work (in my opinion).

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29162

Overall, I think an auction can work, but it's being done in the wrong place deep inside a specialty forum.

Some good ideas there Mark. Solves a couple of problems. Gives the auction more visibility to the outside world and keeps it from over-riding the primary purpose of this site. Having sales opportunities here are great but that is not the main reason I came here and have remained here. This has been a very special forum, with a great mix of old and new talent sharing ideas. It has also been a great place to promote our individual enterprises. All of that has been well worth the $50. The occasional sales to other resellers for pocket change has been a nice bonus.

However, I think DCG would be making a mistake to take on the responsibility of delivering end user buyers to members here. I don't think it can be done on a consistent basis (and no other sales venue in the industry has succeeded in doing it either). So all he would be doing is setting himself for criticism from those saying he didn't deliver what he promised. I would keep the forum focused on what it has done a great job doing and let the members take responsibility for registering good names and finidng the end user buyers for them. There are endless ways to go about doing that. An auction venue related to DNF would be a great tool but it is not going to be the magic solution some people seem to believe in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom