Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The ONE piece of advice you wish you had been given

Status
Not open for further replies.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Watch for signs of addiction...................

1. You were up all night buying domains and can't remember one of them in the morning.

2. You bought a large lot of dot .nu names

3. You've bought over 500 names for resell and have sold none.

4. You value your names like winning lottery tickets and can't understand why you can't cash in.........................

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
4. You value your names like winning lottery tickets and can't understand why you can't cash in.........................

Lol, those are the people who ask millions for their domains. Like eBay and seriousdomains.com.

Gotta love 'em.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On the offtopic- seriousdomains.net is avail! Reg it and offer it to SeriousDomains.com for the limited time low price of $77k! :-D

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
better to spend $1000 on one really good name than $100 each on ten so-so names. (IMHO).

more advice: don't get caught up in the frenzy of auction activity at pool.com and elsewhere. i think most of those people spending $10k+ on mediocre domains are morons. but i could be proven wrong.

more advice: pick a sector you are passionate about and know the ins and outs of. that will give you an edge when sifting for names with value.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it feels "funny"...don't buy. As was my experience with ouch.com, which turned out to be stolen. Trust your gut.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you know you have a great name. DO NOT stick it on ebay and point the multiple interested parties there. I found this out the hard way and here's another example: Paintball.net sold for $45,100 Quote from owner on this forum "I have passed up offers between 50-80,000 for paintball.net and expect this auction to get into six digits in the final hour of bidding next Thursday"

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JoltHost said:
When you know you have a great name. DO NOT stick it on ebay and point the multiple interested parties there. I found this out the hard way and here's another example: Paintball.net sold for $45,100 Quote from owner on this forum "I have passed up offers between 50-80,000 for paintball.net and expect this auction to get into six digits in the final hour of bidding next Thursday"

Some bad advice I got when I started is AFTER I reg'd the name 7K.com (circa 1995-96) I was told by a web-designer guru it is worthless as a letter and number combo are no good, not worth the $70 reg fee. So I never paid the US Mail Invoice (at the time the names were sold by NetSol on credit, due in 30-days from what I recall). Today that name is likely valued at XXXXX.

P.S. Paintball.net was absurdly overpriced and amazing it sold for so much. For example, tits.net 'only' sold for $16,000 (buyer was domainking) a few yrs ago and look how much more commercial value it has vs paintball.net? I really don't think paintball.net was worth much more than mid XXXX.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... the harder you work ... the luckier you seem to get.

... the less you talk about it and the more you actually do it ... the better you do.

... interact with successful people ... it rubs off.

... set goals ... that is how you measure your progress.

my 2 bits ...

Shaun

M

mole

Android said:
better to spend $1000 on one really good name than $100 each on ten so-so names.

That I can vouch for. I gritted my teeth and bought my first serious .COM about 3 years ago when the market was rock bottom for a princely sum, at least to poor wallet me, of $3k. I actually thought I was mad to pay that much for a domain. I have never regreted that decision. I think the seller must be cursing and swearing now that the prices of .COM domains are rising again.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
... So I never paid the US Mail Invoice (at the time the names were sold by NetSol on credit, due in 30-days from what I recall).
LOL! Been there done that ... A LOT! :D

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on starting a great thread NS

The ONE piece of advice that I wish I had been given is:

"Pay more attention to every single bit of advice from experienced domainers like NS"

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
P.S. Paintball.net was absurdly overpriced and ... I really don't think paintball.net was worth much more than mid XXXX.

agree. in fact, i dont think i'd pay more than $500 for paintball.net. and even that would have me nervous. call me crazy.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no magic pill when you swallow it you learn everything. You need to live it.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
Now that is a piece of advice I followed and regret now. When they first started charging (I think it was $50) for domains, I let a few drop that of course I would have been better off keeping. At the time though $50 was a lot of money to me.

Ditto. Unfortunately for me, back then it was my (former) biz partner who controlled the finances, and when Internet company IPOs were picking up steam in 95/96 it seemed like a waste of cash to be heavily invested in domain names... we joked it was like being in the commodities markets (pork bellies, orange juice) in the 80's - oops!

While the immediate cost to acquire a domain matters, make sure you have a good and real assessment of its long-term value and a handle on how long you plan to (or need to) hold the domain to get a return on your investment.

M

mole

Nameable said:
make sure you have a good and real assessment of its long-term value and a handle on how long you plan to (or need to) hold the domain to get a return on your investment.

You could of course develop that name and get a better return on your investment. I think uglypeople.com is a very good case study of this fact.

fabfab

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
buy good generic names and wait. :approve:

regards
melf

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Android said:
agree. in fact, i dont think i'd pay more than $500 for paintball.net. and even that would have me nervous. call me crazy.

Paintball.net was a site with very nice traffic. Paintball is a huge internet PRODUCT search. People who play paintball spend great deals of money on the sport and much of it over the internet. I use to sell paintball guns and supplies but had to give up do to competition from the internet.........

Searches done in March 2004
Count Search Term
83 paintball.net

Searches done in March 2004
Count Search Term
404115 paintball
323327 paintball gun

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't fall for the everydayincome email a million domain buyers scam. That could have saved me some money.

I wish I knew more about type in traffic domains and pay per click / landing page companies a couple of years back. I would be looking at a higher daily income every day. Nothing is better than passive income!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom