Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The State of the Domain Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.verisign.com/static/044518.pdf

177 Million Domain Names And Counting

February 19, 2009

So VeriSign released its Q4 2008 Domain Name Industry Brief (PDF) yesterday, a document that zooms in on “the state of the domain name industry through a variety of statistical and analytical research”. Let’s take a look at their findings and stats.

As you could have deducted from the headline, last year ended with a total base of 177 million domain name registrations across all of the Top Level Domains (TLDs), up from 153 million at the end of 2007 representing a 16% growth rate. Over the entire year, there was an average of 11.9 million new domain names registered per quarter compared to an average of 12.2 million new domain names registered each quarter in 2007.

Last quarter, like Q3 2008, the five largest TLDs in terms of overall size were .com, .cn (China), .de (Germany), .net, and .org. The overall base of .com and .net domain names grew to 90.4 million domain names at the end of 2008. But growth is slowing, likely because of the bad economy (although this apparently didn’t stop VeriSign from raising its prices) and a falling interest and revenue potential for parked domains.

More than 10.1 million new domain names were registered across all of the TLDs in the last quarter of 2008. This reflects a slower growth in new registrations with a decline of 12 percent from the third quarter 2008 and 17 percent from the same quarter in the previous year. The decline was driven by slower growth in both gTLDs and ccTLDs. Over the entire year, there was an average of 11.9 million new domain names registered per quarter compared to an average of 12.2 million new domain names registered each quarter in 2007.

Last year ended with 71.1 million ccTLD (country code Top Level Domains) registrations, a 22 percent increase over the end of 2007. In total, there are more than 240 ccTLD extensions globally, but the top 10 ccTLDs contribute 65 percent of the total number of registrations. Unsurprisingly, .ru (Russian Federation) and .cn (China) were the fastest growing. But overall, the growth of ccTLDs is also slowing down: only 36 percent of the top 25 largest ccTLDs experienced growth rates in the fourth quarter that were higher than the growth rates in the third quarter.

To conclude, an interesting tidbit: VeriSign estimates that 88 percent of .com and .net domain names resolve to a website. Broken down, nearly a quarter of the 90 million .com and .net domain names the company analyzed lead to one-page websites, which include include under-construction, brochure-ware and parked pages in addition to online advertising revenue generating parked pages. 12 percent doesn’t resolve at all.

Domain Summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a terribly misleading statement:

VeriSign estimates that 88 percent of .com and .net domain names resolve to a website. Broken down, nearly a quarter of the 90 million .com and .net domain names the company analyzed lead to one-page websites, which include include under-construction, brochure-ware and parked pages in addition to online advertising revenue generating parked pages. 12 percent doesn’t resolve at all.

I am not sure parked pages can seriously be included as web sites being that we (on this forum) typically distinguish between a site and a parked page.

That really skews the results.

And 12% do not resolve?

Jeez, that is 24 million domains!

satch

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Over the entire year, there was an average of 11.9 million new domain names registered per quarter compared to an average of 12.2 million new domain names registered each quarter in 2007.

I expect now the number of new domains being registered is going to continue dropping as it has done from 07 to 08, presumably pushing up the value of regged domains at a slightly faster rate.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
presumably pushing up the value of regged domains at a slightly faster rate.
A drop in regs does nothing to increase the value of an already regged domain.

A drop in names regged is simply that...a drop in names regged.

This means if it is not already regged then it is available - for reg fee.

This is not so much a supply and demand issue as in the quantity of domains out there.

Domaining is primarily a quality factor.

Quality is everything and there are countless factors in determining the quality.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The state of the domain industry or the domain industry became a state? :D

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The state of the domain industry or the domain industry became a state? :D
You said that right.

This is a mess...all of it.

Now Russia is claiming the internet needs to become "demonopolized" and has plans it is going to present.

Russia Asks Is There A Need For A ‘Demonopolised’ Internet?

Russia’s Telecoms Minister Igor Shchegolev has criticised ICANN, disapproving “of the situation when a single U.S.-based organization has control over the Internet and will soon voice it suggestions on how to ‘demonopolise’ it.”

Shchegolev said the situation where the Internet is “de facto controlled by a single organization from a single country” is wrong, reports Vedomosti daily with Russia’s suggestions on how to change the situation to be presented at the ICANN meeting in Mexico City.

The minister declined to comment on what the suggestions are, but the article says “but another ministerial official said several countries including Brazil, India, China and some African countries support Russia’s position.”

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You said that right.

Now Russia is claiming the internet needs to become "demonopolized" and has plans it is going to present.

Russia’s Telecoms Minister Igor Shchegolev has criticised ICANN, disapproving “of the situation when a single U.S.-based organization has control over the Internet and will soon voice it suggestions on how to ‘demonopolise’ it.”

Shchegolev said the situation where the Internet is “de facto controlled by a single organization from a single country” is wrong, reports Vedomosti daily with Russia’s suggestions on how to change the situation to be presented at the ICANN meeting in Mexico City.

The minister declined to comment on what the suggestions are, but the article says “but another ministerial official said several countries including Brazil, India, China and some African countries support Russia’s position.”

Good news very interesting.
We will see a cold war for domains now?

I hope Taliban don't want own the internet lol

Last edited:

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They should pass control every 2 years say from US to Russia and then to UK and UK should then hold it for maybe 5 years and so on.

DG

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good news very interesting.
We will see a cold war for domains now?

I hope Talebans don't want own the internet lol
I think the cold war has moved to the internet.

Everyone wants to control it.

Taleban? Bah - how ironic.

The Taliban and Islamic extremist view computers and electronics as being of the devil.

Well documented cases of destroying internet cafes, etc.

Yet they use computers and mobile phones to communicate, plot, and post messages.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the cold war has moved to the internet.

Everyone wants to control it.

The Taliban and Islamic extremist view computers and electronics as being of the devil.

Yet they use computers and mobile phones to communicate, plot, and post messages.

I agree with you many goverments trying to control the internet.
Just see in my country...every change of gov they try to control/governate/direct the web...they always fail until now but never say never with massons at the goverment...I think the web is too big to be controlled 100% but these rats try to obstacolate the future...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Not meant to sidetrack this, but this may be a mixup between Al-Qaeda and Taliban.

While Al-Qaeda has reportedly used the Internet and video to communicate and publicize, the Taliban are ridiculous bigots who don't even allow MUSIC (not "Western, pop music but ALL music). Not that I even remotely sympathize with Al-Qaeda, but at least I could understand their rationale; the Taliban, they are NUTS.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not meant to sidetrack this, but this may be a mixup between Al-Qaeda and Taliban.

While Al-Qaeda has reportedly used the Internet and video to communicate and publicize, the Taliban are ridiculous bigots who don't even allow MUSIC (not "Western, pop music but ALL music). Not that I even remotely sympathize with Al-Qaeda, but at least I could understand their rationale; the Taliban, they are NUTS.

What? Taliban don't listen P.DIDDY? :D

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you many goverments trying to control the internet.
Just see in my country...every change of gov they try to control/governate/direct the web...they always fail until now but never say never with massons at the goverment...I think the web is too big to be controlled 100% but these rats try to obstacolate the future...
Hey, you guys change PM and leaders and parties like changing underwear.

Nothing can get in the way and sidetrack Italy from producing great wine, great footballers, and beautiful women.

Groups loosely or claiming to be affiliated with Al Qaeda have burned, bombed, destroyed anything that is western, particularly music, in parts of Iraq and Pakistan.

Other groups like Hamas and, again, groups claiming to have Al-qaeda connections have done the same thing in Gaza and Palestinian neighborhoods.

Extremists are extremists by any name.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You said that right.

my only question is, what took them so long?
not sure who i trust less between the two tbh :-/ :eek:

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So Putin now want invest in Internet?
The petrol oil is finished? lol

DomainLobe

Internet Ventures
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read that as 'DemonOpolize!?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Suddenly, this thread became politics. :)
"The State of the Domain Industry" is now 100% politics.

Whether it is ICANN's good ol' boy school of business or the US Department of Commerce, Russian politiboro or the Chinese regime...ALL want to control the internet and one is most likely to break away and create their own internet.

Seriously, the power of the internet and commerce can no longer be taken lightly.

The internet will soon overtake television advertising spending. It has already thumped radio and print.

What was once the last media will soon be first with the mobile internet right on its heels.

Welcome to the cold war.

Here's to big brother.

Broken down, nearly a quarter of the 90 million .com and .net domain names the company analyzed lead to one-page websites, which include include under-construction, brochure-ware and parked pages in addition to online advertising revenue generating parked pages. 12 percent doesn’t resolve at all.

I still think that is an underestimated number.

Because I swear I have found every damn one of those in my searches.

Seems more and more that anything off the search engines resolves to a parked page.

Damn domainers.

Last edited:

gpmgroup

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

my only question is, what took them so long?
not sure who i trust less between the two tbh :-/ :eek:

It was pretty obvious that ICANN's attempts at the new gTLD process was ill-conceived and once people not involved with new gTLDs begin to realize some of the implications there is going to be a lot of hostility to the proposals.

I think one of the biggest worries for the individuals and the richness of the Internet as a whole will come if ICANN tries to cut a deal with the Big Corporates to buy off their very vocal criticism of ICANN's new gTLDs.

For example a deal where Big Corporates get to sweeping powers to "grab / take down names first and ask questions later" could leave a lot of individuals and small businesses without any protection from corporate bully boys. The initial deal may only involve new gTLDs but once in place how long will it be before it gets extended to existing gTLDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom