Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The term Realtor® is TM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nametrader

Now showing : .info
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think when you can see a Word that has a defined meaning in dictionary, it is a generic. If you remember the word GOOGLE is added to dictionary recently but is still a TM

Some dictionary words included in Dictionary in past and present century has TM weight attached to them and it is acceptable I guess.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think when you can see a Word that has a defined meaning in dictionary, it is a generic.

I don't think the USPTO owns a dictionary, all they have is official filings and approvals of registered marks, and that is all that matters to us.

The NAR is very aggresive in defending thier marks. Yes, realtors have gotten into trouble by using the term "realtor" without proper permission. Many did not realize it was a TM. The NAR is making damn sure the term realtor does not fall the way of "zipper".

nametrader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes that is the irony and we have to live with it :)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think when you can see a Word that has a defined meaning in dictionary, it is a generic.

Then publish your own dictionary.

What confers such magic upon dictionary publishers?

Hmmm.....

MIRCORSOOFT: (n) an internet parking page

MCRIROSFOT: (n) an internet parking page

YAZHOO: (n) an internet parking page

Oh, boy, this is going to be one heck of a fascinating dictionary....

nametrader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No magic at all John, we can just talk. Some words are so common in our lives now that they make us think and assume that they are dictionary words.

These TM are registered in early 50's 60's of 20th century, as to me I am not there in this world I will not regret for this though ;)

Anyways speaking now Trademarking a generic word is almost tough, but still we can trademark an image with a generic word, also can attach a TLD to a generic word and can still get a TM.

Oh yeah! we = we general public not you Professional Lawyers ha!

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what about 'realty'? is this not a derivative of 'realtor'? how is that treated?

and what term do you other english speakers, (UK, europe, etc.) use?

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I cant say I've ever muttered the word Realtor. I frequently say Real Estate Agent. And I say it often too. Rolls off the toungue quite naturally in fact. (Canada).

I'm not sure I've even heard it spoken now that I think of it.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
enom has realtor.tv up for sale, to anyone- for a premium price of $95,000.00 with the 95,000.00 yearly renewal fee-

how the crap did they escape realtor.coms wrath

gph

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In the UK, the term estate agent is used.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
interesting- was talking to another domainer about realtor.tv, and he wrote them! just had this passed on to me today:

Dear Sir:
Thank you for your interest! The sad fact is at this time, there are no laws that protect trademark owners from anyone on the Internet selling or buying domain names that include a trademark. It is only when there is a website or something (videos? I am not sure what would be at a .tv domain name) using the Mark for real estate purposes that it becomes a trademark infringement. I do write to domain sellers and inform them that we believe it is their legal responsiblity to inform any prospective purchasers that the domain contains a trademark and the owner of this trademark will request that it not be used. But if this is effective or not, I am not sure.

It is a buyer's beware market on the Internet in my experience; and while most domain sellers are honest, they do expect the purchaser to have done his/her homework as to if they are violating anyone's intellectual property. This is usually something pertaining to this issue included in the contract the purchaser signs. As for the membership mark, our Members are allowed to use this term within the parameters of the rules of the Association in domain names and email addresses to identify themselves as Members of the REALTOR organization.

I will contact eNom about this. We appreciate your help with the trademark protection program. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,
Mary Newill, Trademark Administrator
Legal Affairs Division
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
videos? I am not sure what would be at a .tv domain name

Wow.

Just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom