Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

This IS NOT a drill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just got over 10 opt out (transfer) requests from namescout.
Repeat, not a drill.

Lock your domains.

Apparently, this weird date of Nov 12, seems to be actually a loop hole.

I cant know what is going on until I get a registy reply.

I hope this is my own transfers and not other transfers.

It doesnt even say who or what or where the transfer is going...

Lock down your domains.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks seeker. Please keep us informed.

>> I hope this is my own transfers and not other transfers.

If the transfers *are* ones that you initiated, then so far there is no proof that we have anything to worry about.

When you transfer names to your preferred registrar, presumably the process for initiating the transfer can only be done by someone with access to the admin e-mail for the domain? (ie an e-mail is sent to you by your preferred registrar asking you to confirm that you want to transfer the domain to them).

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am trying to email both registrars, no answer yet.
Apparently, my domains are in limbo
DNF will be the first to know.

--
01:12 AM local time

off the phone with them

Apparently I need to relax, as They are going from my account to my account.
Nice....
WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN???????????????
Man, I will follow the entire transaction, and If I have to I will wake up the ghosts at pool who got me them names an NS.
I am watching you!

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For the life of me I can't understand why the system has been changed. It is utterly ridiculous. Shall I put in a transfer request for business.com and hope they don't realise?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what can I say....
idiots have been upgraded to senior idiots...

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lukeeales said:
For the life of me I can't understand why the system has been changed. It is utterly ridiculous. Shall I put in a transfer request for business.com and hope they don't realise?

Same here this is like going back a step instead of forward... are they stupid or what?

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nothing is really changing. The only thing that is really changing is that the losing registrar can no longer deny a transfer unless the registrant of the domain explicitly denies it. The gaining registrar still has to verify the transfer with the current registrant before submitting the transfer. I'm not sure what all the fuss is over.

Even if you did put in a transfer request for business.com, the gaining registrar would still have to send an email to the registrant of the domain and verify that they want the domain to transfer. The current registrant has to explicitly allow the transfer before the transfer can be submitted. This is the same as it always has been.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
owen said:
Nothing is really changing. The only thing that is really changing is that the losing registrar can no longer deny a transfer unless the registrant of the domain explicitly denies it. The gaining registrar still has to verify the transfer with the current registrant before submitting the transfer. I'm not sure what all the fuss is over.

Even if you did put in a transfer request for business.com, the gaining registrar would still have to send an email to the registrant of the domain and verify that they want the domain to transfer. The current registrant has to explicitly allow the transfer before the transfer can be submitted. This is the same as it always has been.

Not necessarily because now you don't have the luxury of either saying yes or no - if you don't respond it goes through regardless. If you decide to go on holiday and leave a domain unlocked (we all make mistakes) - you're stuffed.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
owen said:
Nothing is really changing.

The gaining registrar still has to verify the transfer with the current registrant before submitting the transfer. I'm not sure what all the fuss is over.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

In fact, this is the way enom.com has been processing my transfers-out for a long time now. (i.e notification of pending transfer out, rather than requiring an authorisation from me).

I as admin e-mail, still have to authorise the transfer with the gaining registrar. This hasn't changed.

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
Not necessarily because now you don't have the luxury of either saying yes or no - if you don't respond it goes through regardless. If you decide to go on holiday and leave a domain unlocked (we all make mistakes) - you're stuffed.

This is only true for the losing registrar. The losing registrar can (this is optional) send you an email asking if you really want to transfer. If you don't answer, the transfer still goes through. When a transfer is submitted to the registry by a gaining registrar, the transfer automatically takes place unless it is denied by the losing registrar within 5 days. You must explicitly deny the transfer in order for the losing registrar to not allow the transfer. The gaining registrar still has to confirm the desire to transfer with the registrant. If the registrant fails to answer a confirmation email sent by the gaining registrar, then the transfer cannot be submitted to the registry. There is no default transfer just because you do not answer a confirmation email from the gaining registrar. Only after getting a confirmation from the registrant can a gaining registrar submit the transfer to the registry. If a registrar violates this and submits a transfer without the registrants confirmation, they are in violation of the new and old transfer policy. If you go on vacation for 10 days or a year or whatever and do not answer a gaining registrars transfer confirmation email, the gaining registrar cannot submit the transfer.

The burden of verifying the transfer has always been on the gaining registrar and not the losing registrar. The new policy only makes it so that the losing registrar cannot deny a transfer simply because the registrant does not answer their email. This policy is in place because there were registrars that were making it nearly impossible to transfer out of.

This being said, you should always lock your domain names and should have also in the past.

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Looks like typical "bureaucratic" policy to create more problems to justify your "existence". Come on ICANN.

DD

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah, here is a link to an article which confrims what owen is saying:

http://www.dyndns.org/news/releases/archives/2004/11/451.html

In the event of something shady ever going down, you could protest to your registrar which could then file a transfer dispute. The other registrar would then have to prove that they got your ok for a transfer. According to ICANN, the registrar that loses the dispute may be suject to substantial fees. Still, imo it is a good idea to just lock the names and monitor the email account to avoid theft and communication problems.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The gaining registrar still has to verify the transfer with the current registrant before submitting the transfer. I'm not sure what all the fuss is over.

Do you fully understand that anyone and his brother can be a registrar for the cost of $2500 and a small stack of funny paper?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like lawyers will have a lot of work to do... :)

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Do you fully understand that anyone and his brother can be a registrar for the cost of $2500 and a small stack of funny paper?

Plus $4000 for the first TLD, $500 for each additional TLD, and $70,000 in working capital. If for some reason someone gets accredited for the sole purpose of stealing domain names, they would get shut down in very short order and would face legal ramifications. I doubt anyone would do this. There is lots of paperwork involved so that the owners of the registrar would be well known. Even if there was some bizarre instance and the owner of the registrar was able to fake their way through the entire accreditation process, the owner of the domain could dispute the transfer and it would be returned in short order. In the future, all registries will be EPP based and a unique pass phrase will be required for a transfer. Once this happens, instances of fraudulent transfers should be almost zero.

Keep your domains with a reputable registrar and take steps to protect them like locking them. The possibilities of of fraudulent transfer have always been there. This is not new.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it is 'new' in the sense its getting easier, and apparently some people were waiyting for Nov 12th.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=71971

I contacted the above company which was amazed at the transfer order.
They never heard of it.
AND, the transfer was NOT to my account, yet I received the email.
That is very fishy.

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
it is 'new' in the sense its getting easier, and apparently some people were waiyting for Nov 12th.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=71971

I contacted the above company which was amazed at the transfer order.
They never heard of it.
AND, the transfer was NOT to my account, yet I received the email.
That is very fishy.

It is a bit easier now in that if the losing registrar does send a confirm email and the registrant does not answer, the losing registrar can no longer deny the transfer since the registrant did not tell them to do so explicitly. So, if somehow a transfer request does get sent to the registry (this would mean that the gaining registrar did not follow procedure) AND the current owner of the domain did not request it AND the losing registrar is one that sends confirmation emails AND the losing registrar is one that denies a transfer due to a lack of response to a confirmation email AND the current owner is not around to respond to the losing registrars confirmation email THEN a fraudulent transfer will probably take place where it may not have under the previous policy.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
too complicated for me...
all I know is it easier to fraud people, and something, or someone should do something about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom