Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Time for a pet peeve: budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This has been annoying me for a while...in the "Wanted Domains" section, often the potential buyer will be asked, what is your budget? and he responds with "it depends on the name".

Do people not understand what the word means? Of course one is going to pay differently depending on how good the domain is, but one's budget is the LARGEST AMOUNT THEY CAN POSSIBLY PAY TO ACQUIRE AN ASSET. I understand buyers might not want to give out exact numbers (which sellers can then take advantage of), but it wastes everyone's time if you have $100 to invest and people are sending in dozens of names worth $xxxx because they don't realize your limitations.

So please, to help keep the forum professional and keep sellers sane, include a real budget (at least an appoximate one) when you post a wanted thread and don't say your budget "depends on the name" unless you have $10 million dollars ready to invest.

:greenyes:

Upvote 0

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is a bad idea. If someone asks for a domain and has a budget of $1,000, everyone is going to offer him $hit names for $800+ just because he has that type of budget.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea if you want to get decent domains offered to you.
A persons budget doesn't change the value of a domain, just as it doesn't change the value of a car or house. But a bigger budget will get better domains shown to you.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
May want to make a post like this in the suggestions forum to try and get the Domains Wanted section Rules ammended.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
May want to make a post like this in the suggestions forum to try and get the Domains Wanted section Rules ammended.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
byalik said:
That is a bad idea. If someone asks for a domain and has a budget of $1,000, everyone is going to offer him $hit names for $800+ just because he has that type of budget.

That's why say maybe - "budget is low $x,xxx" or something like that. Just because someone asks $1000 for a $100 domain doesn't mean the potential buyer can't counter.

Maybe a mod can move this to the suggestion forum...

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Gt and DUCK its not a bad idea IT SHOULD BE A REQUIREMENT, If you only have $50 to $100 for a name you should say it and save a lot of people time. AND if someones budget is $1000 and they get crap domains those people are going to send crap domains no matter what. Your not going to pay $8 for a crap domain so it does not matter if they say $8 or $800. But you get people looking for poker names ok the poker names I have make $75 to $250 a month PPC if they only have $1000 WHY would I send them a name. FOR THE MOST PART IMO DOMAINS WANTED is Wombat
Waste of Money Brains and TIME

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
byalik said:

That's why say maybe - "budget is low $x,xxx" or something like that. Just because someone asks $1000 for a $100 domain doesn't mean the potential buyer can't counter.

Maybe a mod can move this to the suggestion forum...

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree too. No sense offering 5k names to a person who really only has $XXX to spend.

GT Web said:
This has been annoying me for a while...in the "Wanted Domains" section, often the potential buyer will be asked, what is your budget? and he responds with "it depends on the name".

Do people not understand what the word means? Of course one is going to pay differently depending on how good the domain is, but one's budget is the LARGEST AMOUNT THEY CAN POSSIBLY PAY TO ACQUIRE AN ASSET. I understand buyers might not want to give out exact numbers (which sellers can then take advantage of), but it wastes everyone's time if you have $100 to invest and people are sending in dozens of names worth $xxxx because they don't realize your limitations.

So please, to help keep the forum professional and keep sellers sane, include a real budget (at least an appoximate one) when you post a wanted thread and don't say your budget "depends on the name" unless you have $10 million dollars ready to invest.

:greenyes:

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It looks like it happens when people especially post "Looking for short brandable domain"

I posted looking for a domain with a specific theme & budget & most were actually good potential buys for the project.

Especially when people ask for something pronouncible & the users spurt out frigl.com for ONLY $700

You just got to wonder what were they thinking when they registered the domain. I think everyone has a typo or bad domains in their portfolio but trying to peddle them off when someone is looking for an unbudgeted brandable domain is sick.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is one of my biggest peeves as well. I hate seeing "wanteds" without a budget and get that dry response from buyers. I find that I get less crap when I do list a budget then when I don't when I'm a buyer. It's a catch 22

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moved to suggestions as requested

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whenever I state a 'budget' I almost ALWAYS get hit with PM's all right at the budget limit for names that definitely aren't worth it. I think an budget in X's works best for me.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Posting a budget is and should always be up to the buyer.

However, whenever i have a name that fits the criteria, and a budget is not posted, then i ask "can you please post a budget, as this may save us all some time"

I will or will not submit my names with offers, depending on the response of that question.

also, i see manys times as others have stated that when a $$$ > $$$$ budget is posted, a lot of names that are NOT worth those prices are submitted.

it's part of the task that one has to go thru, when posting ads in domains wanted section.

what really peeves me off is when members make posts in domains wanted section, and never reply or update their threads!

or when members make posts for domains wanted, and have no intention on buying a name, they are just looking for ideas to "skeeze off"

mikesherov

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my opinion:

There is nothing to be done to prevent bad sellers from trying to push garbage on you. At any budget, $X to $XXX,XXX, you're gonna get offered dsjdhkjshkff.com from a gold member who joined 3 seconds ago.

But in spite of this, quoting a budget is a good idea because it allows good sellers to not waste their time. It encourages them to respond so they know they aren't dealing with a $10 budget trying to acquire poker revenue names.

Also, how about another suggestion: if no response from a buyer within 5 days, close the thread, so I don't have to see the same wanted ad for months.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO someone trying to sell the domain should post a price instead of asking the buyer what they are willing to pay. If the buyer has a certain price range/budget he wants to keep consistant he will state it, otherwise a variable budget should be assumed.

I would hate it if I stepped into a store and asked how much for a pack of gum and got a reply "Whats your budget?/What are you willing to pay for it?"

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with much of Biggedon's post first off.

Also If you post a budget, then EVERY person will submit their names at the maximum amount you are willing to pay. Not exactly great for the buyer.

Not only that but a budget often DOES DEPEND ON THE NAME.
My budget may be $300, but I would still be interested in a name someone responds with that says 2k if it is the right name. I may then decide to wait a week or two and then buy it rather than blowing the 300 right now.
I would still like to know what is out there as I could always post a quick for sale thread and dump a bunch of names to "adjust" my budget.
I never post a budget, because I want to know everything available. I'm still chasing names I've wanted to buy for three years.

Why do we need new rules for everything?
If you see a post in the domains wanted section, where the buyer has not stated a budget, or gives you an ambiguous answer regarding the question,
simply don't submit a name and move on to another thread!

I recently posted a wanted "one word .net and .org" thread and 90% percent of the P.M.s I got were either not words, two words, or not .net or .org.
So I just ignore them. If someone is forced to post a budget as to not "waste people's time" then shouldn't one be forced to post a price as well so as to reciprocate?

I of course don't believe either would be appropriate, as I think think deals and such should be conducted on individual basis on the forum and the last thing this place needs is yet another "new rule" or subforum.

just saying.

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People should know whether they are dealing with serious buyers or people like big said who have no intention of buying just getting ideas. And I am not interested in any ad where the person has less than $xxx per name so it just a waste of time. People post here looking for LLL.com have $1000 what? Revenue domains I have $300 Total JOKE typical WOMBAT

kiviniar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i too agree .... posting a budget would ease the seller as he can showcase his best depending on the budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom