Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Tinnitus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Creature, well, one "positive" story for you, I am a keen concert goer, as well as going to 3 or 4 rock festivals every summer. I have had bad hearing loss and Tinnitus on several occasions after gigs, but it has always been temporary for me, disappearing after 2-3 days max.

I must admin, I have always laughed at people who wear earplugs to concerts, taking the same attitude as GT Web, but after hearing some of the stories from Oveber, PREDATOR and Labrocca, I will think twice...

I feel bad for you guys, I know how infuriating Tinnitus can be after only 2 days. To have it for over 12 years must be hell!

The only thing worse than Tinnitus in both ears is Tinnitus in only one ear. I had that once, and it make your whole head feel un-even and "off-balance". It drove me nuts!

Domain Days 2024

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Creature, well, one "positive" story for you, I am a keen concert goer, as well as going to 3 or 4 rock festivals every summer. I have had bad hearing loss and Tinnitus on several occasions after gigs, but it has always been temporary for me, disappearing after 2-3 days max.

Mr. Domains, in early November the ringing woke me up at about 4am. Two months later ears are still ringing day and night. Luckily in my case, the level of ringing has fallen enough to sleep reasonably well. Needless to say I am very anti-noise these days! The legal side of all this appears interesting.

There appear to be different levels of tinnitus. I guess mine is very mild. Anyone who wants to read about severe tinnitus is in for a shock here: http://www.tinnitus.co.uk/help/yourexperiences.asp?experience=233 - Perhaps this should be taken more seriously by concert venues etc.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah..I got my tinnitus from YEARS of going to very loud shows at small veues in NYC. I guess about 100 shows in about 5 years....not to mention just regular clubbing nights (at least once a week) and my very loud headphones on full blast while going to work.

Mine is in both ears but more in the left ear. If you have trouble sleeping you can get a sound machine that will help tremendously by creating some white noise to drown out the buzzing. The worst was the first few months when I used to lay on my side...and my head would be against the pillow. It sounded so loud it was if I just left a concert. Really annoying.

Here is the real kicker. A few years earlier I had a co-worker who was a drummer. One day he said he had tinnitis. I basically made fun of him and laughed at his sudden loud noise sensativity. I guess karma nailed me on that one. To this day I wonder if I had listened to him and been most sensative would I have avoided my demise? I never liked the guy and he really didn't like me...but oh what punishment I must now endure.

I used to think of retiring on a mountain in a cabin. Now that's a nightmare. The silence would drive me crazy!

Ugh

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah..I got my tinnitus from YEARS of going to very loud shows at small veues in NYC. I guess about 100 shows in about 5 years....not to mention just regular clubbing nights (at least once a week) and my very loud headphones on full blast while going to work.

Mine is in both ears but more in the left ear. If you have trouble sleeping you can get a sound machine that will help tremendously by creating some white noise to drown out the buzzing. The worst was the first few months when I used to lay on my side...and my head would be against the pillow. It sounded so loud it was if I just left a concert. Really annoying.

Here is the real kicker. A few years earlier I had a co-worker who was a drummer. One day he said he had tinnitis. I basically made fun of him and laughed at his sudden loud noise sensativity. I guess karma nailed me on that one. To this day I wonder if I had listened to him and been most sensative would I have avoided my demise? I never liked the guy and he really didn't like me...but oh what punishment I must now endure.

I used to think of retiring on a mountain in a cabin. Now that's a nightmare. The silence would drive me crazy!

Ugh

I think if the cabin were by the sea, then it might be ok. I notice that this curse is masked quite well by the sea. Did your tinnitus fade over the first few months or did you just get used to it in that time ?

Hal

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine got tinnitus in his early teens after a rather bad flu and was sent to a hypnotist who at least helped him live with it.

I am not trying to make light of Tinnitus in any way but I think the person's reaction to the noise is very important.

This is a very interesting thread, and I will pass some of this into to people I know with Tinnitus.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To tell you the truth I had never heard of the condition before this (no pun intended). I don't go to that many concerts (a few a year) so I think I'll just take the chance and experience them in all of their loudness. Is a little scary to think what might happen to you after one especially loud concert though...

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dooooooooooooo give me a break.

Perhaps it's the karma thing. You know when you rub a wet finger around the rim of a wine glass?; it makes the same kind of sound. If you do it for too long it pisses everyone off sitting with you at the table. So I once did it for too long, sorry!

Not to bump this thread, I will just add here that the tinnitus noises are very erratic. It's not a constant tone. Most recently it has been alarming. Waking up in the night to the sound of an old school alarm bell is bordering on being cruel. For that I would change my level of tinnitus to 'serious'. Right now it's a field of crickets in the center of my head and I am grateful that the alarm bell sound has faded a little this morning.........

Thanks again for the comments, I'm acting on them. Wear Plugs!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom