Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Today's gTLD numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks, Gerry. Now, imagine when there are 100 active gTLDs, or 1,000. :D

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There were more .tips and .guru regs than .technology!? That's odd...
Great reporting, though

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Looks like .guru will keep the top spot for a while.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All combined, still 1/2 the amount of .asia registrations. Got a while to go for any of them...

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How is this data compiled? Zone files provided by Donuts, compiled for google "site:.gtld" searches?

In translation, 185,000 regs at an average MINIMUM estimate of $25/yr = $4.6M in revenue.. this does not include ANY of the premium prices that we know sold for anywhere between $29-$10,000 each. Any specific revenue estimates that account for premium sales, that's the juicy part.

Alternatively anyone know the initial reg stats for .mobi and now what the current count of that looks like years later?

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.guru I believe had a lot of advertising on registrar sites.. not sure why its supposed to be any better than any of the others.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's likely the shorter extensions will naturally have more action than the longer ones, before they all mostly get dropped in the 2nd and 3rd years (max) :lol:

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.photography is the 2nd most registered at 24,000.. not quite sure why as it is long and very niche, similar to .plumbing which only has 3,000 regs and was one of the first to be released.. the logic behind these registrations appears quite varied and inconsistent.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am perplexed at the guru's out there

I ran across a brand-new domainer who registered 30+ dog breed + .GURU domains. Stuff like Shihtzus.guru, Shihtzu.guru, Poodles.guru, Poodle.guru, Rottweiler.guru, Rottweilers.guru, etc. You get the idea.

He could have made the same bad choices for $9 instead of $17 or $25 or whatever by registering them in .COM instead. At least then he would have thrown less money away.

The thing is, we can all shake our heads at this. But domainers are creating all this hype about the new extensions. The mainstream business world and media are not obsessed with .GURU. Domainers have been. Some domainers who have been around for years are so caught up in the idea that these new extensions are "the future" that new arrivals in the industry are being seriously misled. And that doesn't just hurt them; it hurts all of us. Dollars are not being spent on domains owned by domainers. They're being sucked out of the ecosystem by the new registries. And domainers are to blame for creating the hype.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.guru I believe had a lot of advertising on registrar sites.. not sure why its supposed to be any better than any of the others.

Basically it showed up earlier. So lots of over-excited domainers spent their load on .GURU.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yup, the first one to pop up its head gets taken captive. Then all the rest start popping up. All of them being fought over by domianers. Funny how many of the registries pleaded their case as if the common man needed them and it was good for the whole as a whole. Then what do the domainers (er, registries) do? They hold back the names that the business or entities really, really could use. Registries then auction them off.

The common man will take quite a while to even notice all of this going on around him.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
All data is from the zone files. The Google search tool only returns info on active web sites (maybe some parked).

How is this data compiled? Zone files provided by Donuts, compiled for google "site:.gtld" searches?

In translation, 185,000 regs at an average MINIMUM estimate of $25/yr = $4.6M in revenue.. this does not include ANY of the premium prices that we know sold for anywhere between $29-$10,000 each. Any specific revenue estimates that account for premium sales, that's the juicy part.

Alternatively anyone know the initial reg stats for .mobi and now what the current count of that looks like years later?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
"Photography" is what professional photographers refer to their own business. That's the logic. And that's why domainers without a plan and research, that only go after random keywords that *might* have made sense in the com/net/org era, will not make a smart investment. Research each gTLD independently.

.photography is the 2nd most registered at 24,000.. not quite sure why as it is long and very niche, similar to .plumbing which only has 3,000 regs and was one of the first to be released.. the logic behind these registrations appears quite varied and inconsistent.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You might have a point with the example on the breeds, but 40k .guru domains can't all be registered by domainers. In fact, I've seen plenty of .guru, .bike and other gTLDs registered by entrepreneurs or businesses as a brand accessory to the ones they possess. Some, don't even go after the available keyword+gTLD .com!

I ran across a brand-new domainer who registered 30+ dog breed + .GURU domains. Stuff like Shihtzus.guru, Shihtzu.guru, Poodles.guru, Poodle.guru, Rottweiler.guru, Rottweilers.guru, etc. You get the idea.

He could have made the same bad choices for $9 instead of $17 or $25 or whatever by registering them in .COM instead. At least then he would have thrown less money away.

The thing is, we can all shake our heads at this. But domainers are creating all this hype about the new extensions. The mainstream business world and media are not obsessed with .GURU. Domainers have been. Some domainers who have been around for years are so caught up in the idea that these new extensions are "the future" that new arrivals in the industry are being seriously misled. And that doesn't just hurt them; it hurts all of us. Dollars are not being spent on domains owned by domainers. They're being sucked out of the ecosystem by the new registries. And domainers are to blame for creating the hype.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
An example of "brand accessory" is Collage.guru - there are numerous such examples. You can use the "site:.guru" function to locate active web sites.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You might have a point with the example on the breeds, but 40k .guru domains can't all be registered by domainers. In fact, I've seen plenty of .guru, .bike and other gTLDs registered by entrepreneurs or businesses as a brand accessory to the ones they possess. Some, don't even go after the available keyword+gTLD .com!

i'd say all the gtld regs are 95% domainers. I come across the occasional one that doesn't look like a domainer but the majority seem to be domainers who are fairly new to the industry. even non domainers are buying these names with reselling in mind...and they are regging some really horrible domains that aren't even taken in .com.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Please post some numbers to support that, thanks. I mean, it's ok if you're not interested, but to claim that A is B when it's AB that's another story.

i'd say all the gtld regs are 95% domainers. I come across the occasional one that doesn't look like a domainer but the majority seem to be domainers who are fairly new to the industry. even non domainers are buying these names with reselling in mind...and they are regging some really horrible domains that aren't even taken in .com.

On the contrary, I've seen NON-DOMAINERS skip the .com and go for the keyword.gtld - that shows you that with minimal effort, these domains are reaching beyond the small world of domainers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom