Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Top Pet Peeves in Domain Industry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now if you've been in this for a while or even just getting started you know there are a lot of things that can just piss the f*** out of you. I personally have a few pet peeves I would like to share. This is your venting session guys... let it out!!! (Please do not slam anyone) :boink:

5) Searching for that million dollar unregged name on a registrar site, getting results that have high premium names like how.org, try.net, and get.com showing as available and just thinking "I'm rich Bi#ch! (That's to quote Dave Chappelle)

4) About to close a x,xxx or more deal and the buyer backs out last minute or ends up being one of those "I will give you x,xxx +xxx if you get an appraisal scams. Arghhhh!

3) Having a for sale thread inturupted by useless comments.

2) Having to deal with seeing "Available" so many times for premium IDNs that were regged back in 2000 because of the multilingual designations. Pisses me of to go through all those steps for nothing!

and my number 1 personnal pet peeve of the industry is.......

1) Lowballers... getting offered $DNFs for LLL.com or a solid name. lol

AHHHhhh.... that venting felt good.... how about yourself?!

Domain Days 2024

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
  • People that have no idea what the word "Premium" means!
  • People that try to sell names with bogus OVT results, when they know the name doesn't get traffic.
  • People that post "great name" in almost every sales post.
  • Political threads.
  • Scammers, con artists and thieves that parade as players.
  • Appraisal thread starters that disagree and argue about your appraisal THEY asked for.
  • People that give appraisals that have no clue what they are talking about.
  • Misleading post titles
  • People that say "with development it could worth $$$$$$".
  • That you can't block certain categories from appearing when using "Today's Posts" function ...like IDN related threads.

Shaun

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People who say their name is "unique"
People who ask for appraisals and then argue with you over the valuation you have provided

People who lie about their names/income/standing within the industry

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- People who have had their lousy IDN translation corrected (sometimes several times) in various forums yet keep searching for new "victims" to push their incorrect translations on.
- People who scour endless online dictionaries to find the ONE that gives a more favourable translation of an IDN name, then who choose a ridiculously liberal translation and pretend that's the main meaning (e.g. saying they own "sex.com" in IDN for a name that means "gender")
- People who insist that obvious TM infringements aren't infringing "because it's the IDN version"
- More generally, all the scammers who are rushing to pollute the IDN field for the rest of us.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeing people asking for $500k for mydomain-sucks01v6[dot]info on ebay.

I'll take it one step further...

People who intentionally mislead others to their auction by selling television.com, only to find out that they are actually selling tv-iptv.ws, and the forementioned name is actually a Chinese IDN of its crappy counterpart.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My latest peeve is the 60 day no tranfer rule. This is a real pain when trying to sell a domain or just move it to a good registrar.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand allot of our pet peeves and I share them with you but let's remember we were once newbies too. I know I posted allot of the same dumb things I see posted again and again. I personally know .ws domains aren't worth tcp/ip stack they are coded with but when I was new I thought I hit the jackpot. So, while it's cool to vent to each other, let's not beat the newbies up too bad because we once there too, or at least I was. LOL. Cheers,

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- ludicrous comments in sales threads
- back peddaling on offered price when accepted by seller
- unwarranted egos...we're a small community and we can all prosper from one another.
- number 1 pet peeve.....the term "Premium domain"....if you've really got one....it speaks for itself, nuff said.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
registrars that use the 60 transfer rule for pushes

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what irritates me the most is......that i did not start registering names back in the late 90's.

also, i'm pissed that the internet was not live, when i was 13-17yrs old.

as i envy the youngsters who are learning and selling names and websites and services. they are "doing it"!

this group should be able to retire comfortably, at 30-37 yrs of age, if they are persistant.

another peeve is people who got banned from other forums, and want to come here and "bash" that forum.

another.. people who claim they are brokers, and then try to sell your name on the forum to other members! :laugh:

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
registrars like godaddy, godaddy and also godaddy that have an 800 click process with 4,000,000 ads and an invoice for $0 just to change your nameservers..

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the peeves can really be divided into 2 categories:-

A) Peeves due to lack of knowledge/experience
In here, we can categorise the "premium" stuff, ridiculous pricing and expectations, etc. etc.

B) Peeves due to specific intent to defraud
In here, we include most of the IDN-related stuff, for example, as well as domain theft, non-payment problems, fraudulent traffic and so on.

For me, A) is annoying but B) means that you should be run out of town to keep the industry clean and running smoothly.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My pet peeves are 5 small letters. I.C.A.N.N. Gives me a headache thinking about them each day.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Wondering how can a Premium Domain start at $250 & end up later at $50 (Please take it give me anythang)
2. Just seeing the terms Premium, Unique (Unique as in no one wants it)
3. PE0PLE WH0 CAP1T0L1ZE T1TLES TO H1DE numbers & letter combos in domains (who buys these?)
4. When I used to get appraisals for high ranking Japanese IDN Domains as worth reg fee cause it doesn't have an ext. in OVT (The first domains sold was not based on OVT guys)

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you miss your renewal date with some crappy registrars and they charge you $200 to "reactivate" your $6.99 domain!

Or when you decide to let a bunch of domains drop because they're not worth the renewal fee, and then the next day realise they've all been renewed at $8.88 each using "the credit card you had on file" because you forgot to uncheck the damn auto-renew option!

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
onlineNic.com

who try to charge you something like $70 before you are able to access your namewinner name (to transfer it out)

and only take any action after lots of imploring e-mails followed by threats to complain to ICANN

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mine has always been getting renewal notices for domains already transferred out.

-=DCG=-

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Mine has always been getting renewal notices for domains already transferred out. -=DCG=-

Me too and big time. So many registrars show the domain in the acct long after it is transferred away. It has happened at many different places and as long as 2 yrs after the transfer causing lots of lost time and even trying to renew it and finding out is is long gone from the acct. How incompetant are these places anyway!

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Mine has always been getting renewal notices for domains already transferred out.

-=DCG=-

Exactly. Why don't the registrar's synchronize your account automatically instead of having to do it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom