Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

type ins

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcom

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
could someone explain how you find out the # of type ins a name gets.

is it just an overture result.

thanks

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotcom
could someone explain how you find out the # of type ins a name gets.

is it just an overture result.

thanks

The best way to measure a domain's type-ins is to sign up for a hosting account for that particular domain, or direct to an account you already have. Many hosting providers provide you with very sophisticated tools to monitor your traffic. Otherwise, there are a bunch of free services that offers free monitoring tools for your traffic. Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Distinguishing type-in traffic from click-in traffic can be difficult. If you set up a hit counter, how does the hit counter know whether the name was typed in versus if the surfer clicked a link somewhere. . .

It can roughly be done using some Environment variables ($ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} for you PERL/PHP junkies), but you still have the situation of anonymous surfing. When a person is anonymously surfing, the $ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} shows up blank, so it always looks like they typed the domain into their browser. . .

You can use some indirect evidence though too. If you get 100 hits per day and you go go marketleap and check your inbound links and that number is low (say like 4) and these links are not on high-traffic sites, you can bet that you are getting some pure type-ins.

This angle has flaws too. . . For example, if I have 1000 links, but all these links are on low traffic sites, I will not get a lot of click-through traffic. However, I can have ONE link, and it is on a prominent spot on Yahoo, you bet you will get a lot of click-throughs.. So the Marketleap thing is just a guideline and not a tell all.

I do not know of any web stat program that actually differentiates accurately between type-ins and click-in traffic.

Bottom line, the number of actual type-ins (defined as if the surefer types your domain into their browser) is difficult to determine.

-Bob

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good advice on type-in traffic. The best way I have used is simply put online a small 1 pg website that you know has no links already established and is not listed yet in the major search engines.

Then use a free hit counter, such as FastCounter. As long as you have no links (or perhaps even a few from very low traffic sites) and no SE traffic, you can assume the hits are real type-ins.

Even just a few hits a day can be OK and have some value as long as they are well targeted type-ins.

Originally posted by Bob Distinguishing type-in traffic from click-in traffic can be difficult. If you set up a hit counter, how does the hit counter know whether the name was typed in versus if the surfer clicked a link somewhere. . .

It can roughly be done using some Environment variables ($ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} for you PERL/PHP junkies), but you still have the situation of anonymous surfing. When a person is anonymously surfing, the $ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} shows up blank, so it always looks like they typed the domain into their browser. . .

You can use some indirect evidence though too. If you get 100 hits per day and you go go marketleap and check your inbound links and that number is low (say like 4) and these links are not on high-traffic sites, you can bet that you are getting some pure type-ins.

This angle has flaws too. . . For example, if I have 1000 links, but all these links are on low traffic sites, I will not get a lot of click-through traffic. However, I can have ONE link, and it is on a prominent spot on Yahoo, you bet you will get a lot of click-throughs.. So the Marketleap thing is just a guideline and not a tell all. I do not know of any web stat program that actually differentiates accurately between type-ins and click-in traffic.

Bottom line, the number of actual type-ins (defined as if the surefer types your domain into their browser) is difficult to determine. -Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom