Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

unlimited anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the banning of threads offering unlimited bandwidth or drivespace when it comes to hosting. Every intelligent person knows it's not possible, and yet these people still offer it because they know they can get inexperienced users signed up.

Not only is it false advertising, I feel it hurts the hosting industry when people offer unlimited.

Upvote 0

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNGeeks said:
I would like to see the banning of threads offering unlimited bandwidth or drivespace when it comes to hosting. Every intelligent person knows it's not possible, and yet these people still offer it because they know they can get inexperienced users signed up.

Not only is it false advertising, I feel it hurts the hosting industry when people offer unlimited.
agreed with, alot of the hosting forums already ban such offers, i think dnforum should also take this step to stop false advertising.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like that as much as someone saying they want domains and have a $750,000 budget but they stay gold, lol

I will keep an eye out for these.

-=DCG=-

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
$750k ? I think you missed Yakov's posts - he usually tops $1 million :-D

linkman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depending on the wording of the sales. Not all unlimited bandwidth sales threads are taking advantage of people oe scams.

Example. If I offered unlimited bandwidth on 100MB capped line.

Edit:
Just to add to this. Yes, handling them case by case is good. Getting rid of them all, No.

Just like when you guys sell a domain. You try to pitch it the best way it can be pitched.

Whether you try to pitch a RARE three character .bz or you try to pitch a 100MB capped line as unlimited bandwidth they're basically one in the same.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great idea DNGeeks

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
linkman said:
Example. If I offered unlimited bandwidth on 100MB capped line.

If you did that it is clearly not unlimited. I understand what you're saying but the word unlimited is not what should be used here. Perhaps unmetered would be better.

People are tired of hearing the "unlimited" garbage. Unlimited long distance (limited to 200 minutes per month). Unlimited dialup (limited to a maximum of 4 hours concurrent connections). Unlimited high speed internet (limited to whatever your ISP chooses even though it's not written anywhere). Those things really aren't unlimited. Unlimited really means without limits, or limits so high they cannot be reached easily.

A hosting account could offer "unlimited email accounts", see how many email account cpanel can handle, I'll bet you expire before cpanel does. But you can't offer unlimited bandwidth or unlimited drive space because it simply doesn't exist.

Anyways, I'm not trying to pick on you. I know what you're saying but I had to say my peace because this topic bothers me big time. I've even run into this issue here on this forum and the user offering "unlimited" accounts showed how clueless he is when it comes to hosting other peoples sites by offering to lose money just to host sites.

linkman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was just editing as you posted, please read and you will get where I am coming from.

No need to worry about picking on me as I take criticism very well.

I do agree with you to the extent that alot of those sales pitches are trying to take advantage of newbies or the uninformed.

What I guess my main point is that too much moderation is barring on censorship which is not good for a community.

ERCollins

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not see a problem with unlimited as long as the acceptable use policy or TOS is listed with it.

It is real easy to sell unlimited and live up to it, as long as you make the terms clear.

Both do not allow media storage, remote backup of desktops or servers. No remotely hosted scripts or software.

Basically they allow average Websites, simple forums, Things that do not use over 1-2% cpu per user.

How many normal webpages do you think you can get on a server 10,000 100,000

The normal website normally does not have more than 10 pages.

How about for people that want to park domains, You can put thousands of parked pages on a server, they do not break most terms of services.

That is about the best use you can get out of an unlimited account.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To get away from the unlimited bandwidth thing, people are starting to use un-metered now.

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unmetered, to the ear, sounds like technical term. And it's common for the average person to automatically "believe" something if it sounds technical. I could start talking jibberish to a random person about the parts needed to build a copying machine and if I sounded like I knew what I was talking about, he would probably believe me.

And wouldn't you agree that reliable hosting is never unlimited? There's never enough of that to go around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom