Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Unusual situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently agreed to sell several domains for a four figure amount. The buyer transferred 37.5% of the agreed price to my PayPal, and promised to send the remaining money in a couple of days time. Being a little too trusting, I transferred 66% of the domains.

That was 3 weeks ago, and no payment has been forthcoming. I have contacted the registrar (moniker.com), and whilst they have replied to my emails courteously, they will not take action.

Some people will say I'm foolish to trust the buyer, but that is the way I have always done business, and with only one other exception I have never had a problem.

Does anyone have any legal advice? The monetary loss is not huge (low four figures), but I would like to stop him from scamming anyone else. I keep a list of people who do wrong by me, and I never fail to make them regret it, although I do it on my own terms.

FYI, the buyer resides in Greece.

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't offer legal advice on the situation, but just some good old fashion business advice for you and everyone reading this post. On all overseas transactions use Escrow.com and do not relinquish any domains to anyone until fully paid for. I do agree that trusting people is in some of our natures'; however, I would only trust those who are either reputable from this board or those with whom I have done business with in the past. Those are the only people with whom I would do such a deal with. Unfortunately, most people will cut such a deal until they get burned, and now you know better. I hope this all works out for you, and doesn't affect how you do business in the future!

Kyric

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can see his dilemma here. They wanted to deal with Paypal and he wouldnt have been able to receive funds to Paypal if they used Escrow.com

However, it would have been better to get 100% payment upfront from the buyer because his recourse would be to complain to Paypal if he didnt get the domains using their adjudication system. Well its not ideal but its better than doing it the other way around because unless you made it clear in your "note" that he was to subsequently pay the remainder, it may not be something that Paypal can help with.

Might wanna contact Paypal about this but I would suggest informing the buyer that you intend to do so first (might spur him into action).......

cyberserf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe they got the names they wanted and didn't really care about the remainder? Good luck settling this.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyberserf said:
Sounds like maybe they got the names they wanted and didn't really care about the remainder? Good luck settling this.
Bingo. I guess it falls under theft by deception.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is the person a member here or @ any other forum?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Beachie said:
I recently agreed to sell several domains for a four figure amount. The buyer transferred 37.5% of the agreed price to my PayPal, and promised to send the remaining money in a couple of days time. Being a little too trusting, I transferred 66% of the domains.

That was 3 weeks ago, and no payment has been forthcoming. I have contacted the registrar (moniker.com), and whilst they have replied to my emails courteously, they will not take action.

Some people will say I'm foolish to trust the buyer, but that is the way I have always done business, and with only one other exception I have never had a problem.

Does anyone have any legal advice? The monetary loss is not huge (low four figures), but I would like to stop him from scamming anyone else. I keep a list of people who do wrong by me, and I never fail to make them regret it, although I do it on my own terms.

FYI, the buyer resides in Greece.

Beachie, send me a bit more info on this "malaka" and I will gladly send an email using hefty Greek words. I don't tolerate scammers even if they come from my country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom