Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.us names - your opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Host Queen

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What do you ppl here think of .us names.

I believe that they will eventually take off, but because I'm relatively new at domain buying, I was wondering what everyone else thought on this topic. Should I head off and buy or not??

Thanks.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are many discussions on this topic if you do a search. Personally, I don't value them high. Mainstream still doesn't even know they exist, much like .biz. Add to that the fact that .us is a country code.

Just my opinion. Don't shoot me Duke!

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with Doberry! However, I DID register an .US domain for a friend (FirstLastName.US) as a "gift" ... AND I have not yet read the article. I'll get back here after reading. Thanks.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice article. Still just an opinion by a regular domain dealer like anyone else here. Probably has 100's of .us regs so what else is he going to say.

Dedicted half the article to kids.us which is quite different than .us alone.

Still, if the kids (k-12)get used to the .us at a young age, they are the future domain name users and may have less trouble migrating to .us

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by doberry
Don't shoot me Duke!

Where's my gun! :D

I just spoke with a guy who is one of the top .US investors (also the subject of a current cover story at Domain Name Journal). He sold his previous company for $110 million. He talk to business leaders around the world on a regular basis. From the plans they have shared with him and his own analysis of how things are developing he is convinced that .US is going to be huge. Dan McCullough outlines a lot of the reasons why in another story just published at DNJ.

I won't rehash all of that, but I think the mistake everyone is making is focusing on what the situation is today. Successful investors focus on what markets will be developing in the next 2-5 years. From my own reading and analysis of the trends I was already convinced as to how things will play out. I also listen to others and when I get a personal pep talk on .US from a guy who has already made tens of millions of dollars, you will have to forgive me for giving his argument more weight than I do to the naysayers here. :)

Incidently, I think Doberry is quite right not to place a high value on them now. A strong resale market has not developed which is normal for a 9-month old extension. If you buy .us you should be buying them to develop on or with an aim toward future appreciation - not a quick profit now.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sharpboy
Nice article. Still just an opinion by a regular domain dealer like anyone else here. Probably has 100's of .us regs so what else is he going to say.

Dedicted half the article to kids.us which is quite different than .us alone.

Still, if the kids (k-12)get used to the .us at a young age, they are the future domain name users and may have less trouble migrating to .us

Yep, just a regular Joe with hundrds of .US.. thats the point Sharp.. WHY do you think I have hundreds of .US ?

The idea is to be able to see where the markets are headed..IMO ..I believe that future is ccTLDS . .DE with 6 Million regs prove that indeed ccTLDS can be extremely strong (1/3 of .com !)..my point is simply that .US will be EVEN stronger because of the KIds.Us bill..
They HAVE to be Marketed per US law !

Think about that for a moment..

But you are correct it is just my opinion.. I may very well be wrong.. it may just forever be a .com world..it's not like they are TEACHING about .US or anything..err or will they be ? :)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl

I just spoke with a guy who is one of the top .US investors

Why are you talking to yourself :eek: Just kidding.

Informative article. DNjournal looks great!

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right bid, and that's why I refered to the future in my final comment.

" Probably has 100's of .us regs so what else is he going to say."

What I meant was, obviously if your a domian speculator, and you are authoring an artical on the pros of .us, it's safe to assume you own some, and are not likely to have, or a least expand upon any cons of the subject. It is in your interest to talk-up .us.

That article will cause many who read it to look at .us differently. I am sure that was partly the goal here.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice article. Still just an opinion by a regular domain dealer like anyone else here.

I wouldn't say like anyone else. I would say like someone who has very carefully studied the market forces that are at work and used those to make his buying decisions. There are a lot of dealers who don't do anywhere near the homework he does and those are usually the ones complaining about being unable to sell a name.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, I should have said like any other experienced person here. It's what i was thinking anyway.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

What I meant was, obviously if your a domian speculator, and you are authoring an artical on the pros of .us, it's safe to assume you own some, and are not likely to have, or a least expand upon any cons of the subject. It is in your interest to talk-up .us.

That article will cause many who read it to look at .us differently. I am sure that was partly the goal here.

Well thats the goal of that part of DNJournal...

to give guest writers an opportunity to outline why they are supporting ceratin extensions..or why they arent..

I'm sure Duke is looking for more articles.. you can certainly write an article on why you DONT think .US will be an important extension..thats what makes the world go around..

Good Luck...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I meant was, obviously if your a domian speculator, and you are authoring an artical on the pros of .us, it's safe to assume you own some, and are not likely to have, or a least expand upon any cons of the subject. It is in your interest to talk-up .us. That article will cause many who read it to look at .us differently. I am sure that was partly the goal here.

The goal of the magazine is to present well thought out ideas from a variety of viewpoints. Why don't you write an article on the cons then? I will be more than happy to publish both viewpoints if someone wants to submit a well thought out opposing view. Dan and I are both .com fans too. Actually I am actively looking for someone to contribute more articles on .com (pro and con) as well as all of the other TLDs.

Edited to add that I see Dan already had some of the same thoughts and posted while I was writing!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by doberry
Why are you talking to yourself.

Informative article. DNjournal looks great!

Thanks Dob...I can disprove the talking to myself part (I said the article was about the guy - I only wrote it) :)

Thanks for your comment on DNJ. I would like to have you contributing too but with your new moderator hat I have a feeling you are going to have your hands full for awhile! Congrats on the gig though - another good move by GregR.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never said I thought .us would not be important. I just didn't find the article that objective and tried to point out why it couldn't be as the author, in this case you, had no interest in writing anything negative about the extension as you have a substantial investment in the extension. If there is no down side to the .us extension then so be it. It's like the CEO of Coke doing an article on a new sub-coke product. Let's say cherry coke. What's he going to say negative about it. Yet have you ever tasted it?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Hey sharp, after you write up the cons on .US.. can I post ..

Well he probably dosent own 100's of .US.so what else is he going to say ? :laugh:

Have a good day...

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is goofy. You are taking offense for no reason. I would own .us if I could. My comments were not about the validity of the .us extension, they were aimed at the fact that, you own lots of .us extensions, as an investment, what else are you going to say.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never said I thought .us would not be important. I just didn't find the article that objective and tried to point out why it couldn't be as the author, in this case you, had no interest in writing anything negative about the extension as you have a substantial investment in the extension. If there is no down side to the .us extension then so be it. It's like the CEO of Coke doing an article on a new sub-coke product. Let's say cherry coke. What's he going to say negative about it. Yet have you ever tasted it?

Sharpboy, you are completely missing the point. Dan is a COLUMNIST. Columnists are NOT objective. They are paid (actually in Dan's case - not paid :) ) to give their opinions. Reporters ARE objective (or supposed to be). DNJ has a news section but it's biggest appeal will come from the opinion pieces contributed by various columnists. There is even a Face Off section where two people with totally opposing views will debate one issue.

Look in any newspaper. William Safire will always espouse the conservative point of view. He never pointed out the pros of Bill Clinton, only the cons. By definition, presenting strong and even biased opinions is what a columnist does. If you disagree, write a letter to the editor (please, we need them :) )!

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, but news COLUMNISTS rarely have personal investments in the subjects they are spewing opinions on, if they do, it then becomes an advertisement.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is goofy. You are taking offense for no reason. I would own .us if I could. My comments were not about the validity of the .us extension, they were aimed at the fact that, you own lots of .us extensions, as an investment, what else are you going to say.

Sharp, I am not taking offense at all.. you are misreading me..

AND you are misreading...what the article is about.. The story was objective..I investigated FIRST about .US before I invested IN .US..

The article is filled with links backing up my position.. and the bottom of the page CLEARLY shows that I am a specualtor and developer..so whats your point ?

the obvious? I am big on .US.. well I think I pointed out that well in the article didnt I ? :)

It's not a big deal..

I am NOT taking offence at all..

Everyone on this board knows I believe .US is the next extension to rise above the riff raff...I have purchased a number of .US from board members, I have purchased a number of .US on ebay and I have purchased .US from directly contacting owners for who-is..
Yep I am big on .US...but not as Hype.. but rather because I have done my research in an objective manner.. I researched OBJECTIVELY..then purchased..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom