Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Using Plural In The Domain Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

d97

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at registering a name. It has the plural form of the name available, for eg buycandles.com. The domain buycandle.com is taken from someone else. It was registered in April with a butchered ecommerce website running off it. I doubt it's legally registered.

Would you bother registering the name? Would I lose business from the non-plural spelt name?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends... BuyCandles.com is actually better than BuyCandle.com but BuyMarijuana.com is better than BuyMarijuanas.com. It's completely dependent on the context.

d97

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True, for my instance both names flow. I would rather own both domains though, in case customers accidentally visit the other domain. Also, for legal matters...if someone owns the non-plural name, do they also own the name in the plural context by default?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True, for my instance both names flow. I would rather own both domains though, in case customers accidentally visit the other domain. Also, for legal matters...if someone owns the non-plural name, do they also own the name in the plural context by default?

No, they are two separate domains. Buy the plural if it makes sense.

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Buycandles.com makes much more sense then buycandle.com. Who goes online to buy candle? Lol! I'd go to buy candles.

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a good question. Normally the plural is better for eCommerce products. However, you will always lose customers to the singular version. Take a look at the NameJet auction for Apples.com- while you might think that it would get a lot of type in traffic because of the brand Apple has created, someone with knowledge of the domain's traffic came out publicly and said that it's not as big as you might think.

So, if you're really serious about starting a business with the plural version, try and get a hold of the singular because it will definitely cost you traffic.

Last edited:

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a good question. Normally the plural is better for eCommerce products. However, you will always lose customers to the singular version. Take a look at the NameJet auction for Apples.com- while you might think that it would get a lot of type in traffic because of the brand Apple has created, someone with knowledge of the domain's traffic came out publicly and said that it's not as big as you might think.

So, if you're really serious about starting a business with the plural version, try and get a hold of the singular because it will definitely cost you traffic.

Yes it will cost you if its something that so obviously should be plural because then it would be odd, but something like buying candles-- well is it buycandles.com or buyacandle.com-- certainly not buycandle.com.

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in that case you're right. It's a case by case situation. In general, you should always try to get the singular nonetheless, but I wouldn't pay too much for it for a buy+____ domain.

Yes it will cost you if its something that so obviously should be plural because then it would be odd, but something like buying candles-- well is it buycandles.com or buyacandle.com-- certainly not buycandle.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom