Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news What a week — Major updates to DNF!

What a week it has been!

We silently rolled out three of our biggest features to date: #hashtags united to a more "legacy" forum tag system; a way to control your experience by ignoring content and not people; and forum verification seen with the orange checkmark on the member card, posts, and profiles of @robmonster and @auctionscott.

Our biggest Friday announcement is that we are moving to a free forum model. That's right, free. We will not be freemium, wherein one must pay to upgrade or stand out; we will be free. We felt that there should be no barriers to entry to domain name investing, except for domain name registration fees, which we cannot control. We want the world to learn and excel, and the only way to do that is to be free.

We're not moving to free just yet, though. We wanted a seven day grace period for older members to seize an opportunity. People that have paid for Gold, Platinum, or Exclusive in the past can edit their signatures to the permissions that they paid for. These signatures will then be locked in until you choose to change it under the new permissions set for regular Joe's.

A little secret about signatures... they are invisible to guests and visible to users logged in. However, if you connect your account to Federated Identity, your signature will be visible to guests!

We will also have hard limits on threads. This means that members will be allotted X open sales threads (discuss this number below). Once a user is at this limit, they must lock an old thread if they want to post a new sales thread. Just a note: don't try to cheat the system by unlocking, bumping, and locking—we're two steps ahead of you and already thought about how to prevent that.

There are now going to be fixed times to bumping. No longer will moderators have to give warnings; the system won't allow you to bump more than 2 times in 24 hours or it will force you to merge your posts.

...I think that is all, for now...

Enjoy your new forum experience!

If you have any questions about these features or have trouble using them, please comment below.

Domain summit 2024

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
However, if you connect your account to Federated Identity, your signature will be visible to guests!
This will be the case in the future? Or is it supposed to already be the case now? Because my account is associated with F.I. (it was directly created here with existing F.I. login info), and my signature doesn't seem visible to guests

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
A little secret about signatures... they are invisible to guests and visible to users logged in. However, if you connect your account to Federated Identity, your signature will be visible to guests!
This seems like a bad idea, even moreso with recent events. Having 1 login for multiple sites. Somebody gets 1, they get them all. And it's being encouraged with sig privileges.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This will be the case in the future? Or is it supposed to already be the case now? Because my account is associated with F.I. (it was directly created here with existing F.I. login info), and my signature doesn't seem visible to guests
It should work now as it is showing on my account. Please try to disconnect and reconnect to see if this fixes the issue.
This seems like a bad idea, even moreso with recent events. Having 1 login for multiple sites. Somebody gets 1, they get them all. And it's being encouraged with sig privileges.
Pick a strong password and enable 2FA. :)

I highly doubt you will be selected for a signature change attack... You take things so seriously. Suppose someone did gain access to all the FI accounts connected to DNForum in your hypothetical made-up world, and then they changed the signatures for everyone. Do you think we can't immediately yank signature visibility or wipe them out altogether when noticed?

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
It should work now as it is showing on my account. Please try to disconnect and reconnect to see if this fixes the issue.

Pick a strong password and enable 2FA. :)

I highly doubt you will be selected for a signature change attack... You take things so seriously. Suppose someone did gain access to all the FI accounts connected to DNForum in your hypothetical made-up world, and then they changed the signatures for everyone. Do you think we can't immediately yank signature visibility or wipe them out altogether when noticed?
I didn't say anything about a signature change attack. I said you shouldn't have the same login for different sites. Security 101 type stuff. I understand the thinking is convenience, but you should be thinking security, plus most people use password managers anyway.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about a signature change attack. I said you shouldn't have the same login for different sites. Security 101 type stuff. I understand the thinking is convenience, but you should be thinking security, plus most people use password managers anyway.
There are many companies, other than Epik, that run Single-Sign On (SSO). My bank is one of them. I would hope my bank understood Security 101 and is on top of their game to fix the next vulnerability immediately!

I really don't think Epik would be a #1 target. By the time the exploit is well known to script kiddies, I'm sure it'll be fixed by then.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
There are many companies, other than Epik, that run Single-Sign On (SSO). My bank is one of them. I would hope my bank understood Security 101 and is on top of their game to fix the next vulnerability immediately!

I really don't think Epik would be a #1 target. By the time the exploit is well known to script kiddies, I'm sure it'll be fixed by then.
You know these threads would be shorter in duration if you ever decided just to read.

Again, basic security. Read up - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=using+same+password+on+diffeent+sites

base

Level 3
Reaction score
Completely agree with this. Single log-ins are great for convenience, but so are plastic bags. One hole, and everything falls out. Increasingly we are being moved towards what is marketed as easier and quicker for us, when in reality it's just more cost-effective for the companies driving it. All the while increasing service pricing to consumers.

The price we are paying for convenience, in so much not just tech, has repercussions far beyond our thick short sightedness that one day our kids grandkids will be watching movies on how idiocy brought the world to what they have so that they can't even think or manage things for themselves without an accountability to a force they don't even understand.

I hope these things will always remain a choice, and not a mandate.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators