Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What are end users thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are end user thinking, and what drives them to purchase a domain "for sale by owner".

In the rare case that an end user buys a domain from the owner, what is the motivation.

Some companies may register a domain name and not look back. If they have trouble registering a good domain they might register anything available. This is probably also when many companies decide to seek out the owner of a domain with an offer.

In a large amount of cases, end users seem to already have a primary domain name. For a number of reasons they are either looking for an "upgrade" or additional domains to bring in extra traffic, or to gain a competitive edge.

There have been some interesting purchases of generic domains such as the K-swiss company buying up alot of keyword .coms. In this case it seems they have a proactive marketing department which happened to learn about the advantages of good domains.

Probably the rarest case is that the company is contacted by someone selling a domain name. It seems that they would need to be aware of what a domain is, be convinced that this domain can bring them extra customers and won't be a hassle, that they know how the domain can be used, and that it will easily fit into the company budget.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good question. End users come in various shapes and sizes and motivations. Typically for myself an end user will contact me because I have the exact keyword domain name they are looking for and they want to start a business. Usually I have a free starter page with a little text of why this is a great domain name to have, the price and my contact info but that is only 5 percent of my sales. BTW if an average end user looks for a domain name and it is taken and they go to your site out of curiosity to see what is there and there is no info that it is for sale they will think of an alternative because they dont know you can buy a domain name from someone else and do not know about WHOIS.

I am one of those rare case people who do not like to wait around for an end user to contact me, I like to be proactive and seek out potential end users and let them know that the name is available. I like real estate, wedding, technology and lifestyle domain names but here is what I have found, 7 out of 10 possible end users have no clue what a domain name is believe it or not and a lot think that a domain name is a website and a lot think that they did not know a domain name can be sold and a lot think that I am selling advertisng space on my website and a lot think that it is a monthly reaccuring fee and a lot think I am a telemarketer and to take them off my list so as you can tell it is hard work and a lot of rejection. I sometimes have an exact domain name of a business call them and they are not interested at no price which does kinda floor me. I used to emphasize more on " Great .com domain name" in my sales pitch which used to sound more like a tele marketer but now I focus more on like what you said about how this domain name can benefit them and fit into their company and I have much more success.

Last edited:

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Put yourself in the shoes of a non-domainer business owner. All they see all day is brands on the internet; Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Myspace, Youtube, Twitter, Amazon...all the top sites on the net are brands. If the top companies on the net all used generic product or service domains, the end user would likely 'get it'. It's a tough call trying to sell something when you've first got to explain what it is before you even mention the benefits.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
End-users use the internet like anyone and when they see a page, search result with a domain they don't own, or look for an online opportuntiy, they will reach out. As mentioned, a lot of education still needs to take place but many are aware of the value a domain can bring and will contact direct to purchase.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are end users thinking?

They're thinking they already have a business and a web presence and they wish all this spamming for "buy this name, buy this name" would stop.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
By that I didn't literally mean that it doesn't work to contact end-users offering them domains for sale.. I just meant that if you own an attractive domain you will be contacted by end-users "automatically".

That's like saying if you own a rare car you will be contacted by car buyers. It might happen, but you would be better off listing it for sale and/or contacting potential buyers.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's like saying if you own a rare car you will be contacted by car buyers. It might happen, but you would be better off listing it for sale and/or contacting potential buyers.

That's not comparable at all imo. If you own BGT.com (example) then the odds are pretty high that the company Bill Gates Tomatoes will sooner or later visit BGT.com to see if it's in use or not. If they see that it's not in use, they will likely contact you, the owner of the domain name and most likely ask if it is for sale.

But yes, if your domain is for sale, expose it as much as possible, but contacting end-users directly isn't always a good idea.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's not comparable at all imo. If you own BGT.com (example) then the odds are pretty high that the company Bill Gates Tomatoes will sooner or later visit BGT.com to see if it's in use or not. If they see that it's not in use, they will likely contact you, the owner of the domain name and most likely ask if it is for sale.

But yes, if your domain is for sale, expose it as much as possible, but contacting end-users directly isn't always a good idea.

"the odds are pretty high" "sooner or later". If you actually are working towards getting sales you can't wait around hoping someone might contact you. This thread is about getting more end user sales not how to wait around for end users.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread is about getting more end user sales not how to wait around for end users.

i thought it was about "What are end users thinking"

your intro:

What are end user thinking, and what drives them to purchase a domain "for sale by owner".

In the rare case that an end user buys a domain from the owner, what is the motivation.

and i thought this statement by pcproffenno was on point

If an end-user wants your domain, they will let you know. It's simple.

unless you're only speaking about you and your need to sell a volume of domains to stay afloat, then those who wait to be contacted typically can get the highest roi.

it's difficult for one to speculate on what motivates an end-user unless you know some, are one, have been one...or have sold a lot of domains to them.

upgrading as you mentioned can be a motivator, but "time" can be the biggest motivator.

time can be running out for choice .com internet space

time can be running out on the domains availability, as in "available for sale and no longer for sale"

the end-user waited years for the domain to expire but you keep renewing it

the end-user waited years for the price to drop

the end-user waited until the domains' terms got popular to make an offer, as before it wasn't so appealing

and these are the top two responses when i ask a buyer how they found our domain:

the end-user typed-in the domain name and your parking page came up

they looked it up in whois

now what drives them to purchase can be a combination of things:

1. the fact that you own it and it's not available to register

2. your price and your ability to translate value, which includes negotiation/marketing skills

3. confidence and trust in your ability to complete the transaction

imo...

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless you have something useful to post don't bother posting.

i thought it was about "What are end users thinking"

your intro:

and i thought this statement by pcproffenno was on point

unless you're only speaking about you and your need to sell a volume of domains to stay afloat, then those who wait to be contacted typically can get the highest roi.

it's difficult for one to speculate on what motivates an end-user unless you know some, are one, have been one...or have sold a lot of domains to them.

upgrading as you mentioned can be a motivator, but "time" can be the biggest motivator.

time can be running out for choice .com internet space

time can be running out on the domains availability, as in "available for sale and no longer for sale"

the end-user waited years for the domain to expire but you keep renewing it

the end-user waited years for the price to drop

the end-user waited until the domains' terms got popular to make an offer, as before it wasn't so appealing

and these are the top two responses when i ask a buyer how they found our domain:

the end-user typed-in the domain name and your parking page came up

they looked it up in whois

now what drives them to purchase can be a combination of things:

1. the fact that you own it and it's not available to register

2. your price and your ability to translate value, which includes negotiation/marketing skills

3. confidence and trust in your ability to complete the transaction

imo...

To some people domaining is a waiting "game" and not a business. This thread is not for those people, or for your personal grudges.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

What are end users thinking?

They're thinking they already have a business and a web presence and they wish all this spamming for "buy this name, buy this name" would stop.

In the rare case that an "end user" is contacted about a domain, they rarely if ever have a negative response. Unless they think it is a tm violation but this thread is not about selling trademarked domains.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless you have something useful to post don't bother posting.

To some people domaining is a waiting "game" and not a business. This thread is not really for those people.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

In the rare case that an "end user" is contacted about a domain, they rarely if ever have a negative response. Unless they think it is a tm violation but this thread is not about selling trademarked domains.

you make too many assumptions about end-users and you talk like you don't know shiz-zit about domaining

To some people domaining is a waiting "game" and not a business. This thread is not really for those people.

because waiting is the big part of this game

you also like to exclude members from your threads, who posts' conflict with your outlook, viewpoint or mindset

sticking your head in the sand........ will only help maintain your ignorance

imo...

Last edited:

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you make too many assumptions about end-users and you talk like you don't know shiz-zit about domaining

Your contribution to this thread is worthless. Funny you should say I don't know about domaining, proving how much of a tool you are. People like you don't actually know anything but buying domains and sitting on them.

because waiting is the big part of this game

you also like to exclude members from your threads, who posts' conflict with your outlook, viewpoint or mindset

sticking your head in the sand........ will only help maintain your ignorance

imo...

If you read my post, this thread is not for "playing games" and waiting for buyers. You're ignorance shows when you post worthless advice and idiotic remarks.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By that I didn't literally mean that it doesn't work to contact end-users offering them domains for sale.. I just meant that if you own an attractive domain you will be contacted by end-users "automatically".
That's true. Most of the time. You don't have to chase end users, they find you. It also means that you have the upper hand in negotiations because they need the domain, you didn't solicit them.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's true. Most of the time. You don't have to chase end users, they find you. It also means that you have the upper hand in negotiations because they need the domain, you didn't solicit them.

If someone posts a discussion about selling homes, what use is it for everyone to post "Just wait for buyers and they will come if the house is good enough", the most obvious statement, which is useless flippant advice.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If someone posts a discussion about selling homes, what use is it for everyone to post "Just wait for buyers and they will come if the house is good enough", the most obvious statement, which is useless flippant advice.
Hehe :)

I think that:
  • Patience is an asset, if you want to sell (flip) in a hurry you will often end up selling at bargain/distressed price...
  • There's too much supply and too little demand, that's why we need to focus on quality. So if you want practical advice: resell a villa rather then attempt to flip 100 reg fee 'slums' nobody wants :)

If you read my post, this thread is not for "playing games" and waiting for buyers. You're ignorance shows when you post worthless advice and idiotic remarks.
Then you should have made it clear from the start you are only interested in hearing about quick flip techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom