Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What are end users thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hehe :)

I think that:
  • Patience is an asset, if you want to sell (flip) in a hurry you will often end up selling at bargain/distressed price...
  • There's too much supply and too little demand, that's why we need to focus on quality. So if you want practical advice: resell a villa rather then attempt to flip 100 reg fee 'slums' nobody wants :)

Then you should have made it clear from the start you are only interested in hearing about quick flip techniques.

More useless remarks... We get it, you want to wait for buyers to contact you, moving on....

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the rare case that an "end user" is contacted about a domain, they rarely if ever have a negative response. Unless they think it is a tm violation but this thread is not about selling trademarked domains.
I had three emails in my box this am when I woke up about GREAT NAMES AT GREAT PRICES FROM GREAT DOMAINERS that I have never heard of, did not know, and did not subscribe to.

Obviously, domainers trying to sell to domainers but wanting or expecting or pricing as enduser.

Every end user that I personally know of contacted me either via email (WHOIS), via Sedo, or via a broker.

An end user will only be interested (in my opinion) if they are going to start up an affiliate company or release new product or service.

Occasionally you may find an end user paying big bucks for an absolute pure generic to point to their site, such as books.com pointing to BarnesAndNoble.com.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with Biggedon, Waiting is a big part of the game :yes: And when it happens, It's well worth the wait.

And not all end-users are "start up affiliate companies" or "releasing new products or services".... What a boneheaded statement that one was by Doc Com.

With all the end user sales I've had, the reasons for buying vary;

New companies that have a name in mind but want to secure the dot com.
Existing businesses that use the .org or .net and want the dot com.
Existing companies that have a name already, but use a catchy name and want the catchy dot com.
Web developers choosing a name for their client.
Companies that want names that are confusingly similar to theirs.
Companies that want names just for traffic.
People who want a domain simply to post information about a subject their passionate about.
People who want a domain for a Blog, Forum or as their primary email address.

The list goes on and on.

An end user will only be interested (in my opinion) if they are going to start up an affiliate company or release new product or service.

Last edited:

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
End users are opting for ccTLDs, including .us. Somehow they realize the viability of a ccTLD if the .com is in use or unaffordable. They have no viable choice. .BIZ is a joke, and .INFO is dangerous and unstable thanks to mis-management by Afilias. End users mostly don't use Sedo, domainer conventions, domain auctions, and other frantic avenues. They look for the domain they want, then contact the owner if the name has a "for sale" sign on it. They don't want to screw around with Sedo, Bido, Fido, Fredo, Harpo, or Zeppo. Even end-users are smart enough to stay away from auctions, brokers, and jokers. End-users are scared, scared of getting screwed by scumbags who permeate the domain resale industry. There's a real stench there, and end-users can smell it a mile away. Most domainers have grown accustomed to the stench, and probably don't notice it anymore. Personally, I would advise end-users to stay away from domain auctions and brokers. The registrars are shady and sleazy enough without the added slime from the usual domain auctioneers, brokers, and desperate shill-bidders.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With all the end user sales I've had, the reasons for buying vary;

New companies that have a name in mind but want to secure the dot com.
Existing businesses that use the .org or .net and want the dot com.
Existing companies that have a name already, but use a catchy name and want the catchy dot com.
Web developers choosing a name for their client.
Companies that want names that are confusingly similar to theirs.
Companies that want names just for traffic.
People who want a domain simply to post information about a subject their passionate about.
People who want a domain for a Blog, Forum or as their primary email address.

The list goes on and on.

Good post.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most of the time. You don't have to chase end users, they find you. It also means that you have the upper hand in negotiations because they need the domain, you didn't solicit them.

Waiting is expensive but worth it if you are sure that you have a good name. Unfortunately bad names sometimes sell but you can't afford too keep them as the odds are much lower!

Contacting an end user can be of value especially if you want to get rid of the name for $100-350 (or so). The success is limited but there is some. The truth is though that people, to some degree at least 'get' domains or they just plain don't. There is one company that is obviously a big engineering firm with multiple US plants that I contacted last year. The have a contorted and hyphenated name that they love. I have the real, non-hyphenated (and generic) .COM and they turned it down flat for $250. I contacted another noticable small company using a hyphenated, niche, generic term and was read the riot act about cybersquatting, etc, for offering the much superior none hyphenated .COM for $100. I have also offered a name for $100 and had my offer ignored only to get a $500 offer later after a web designer or friend told someone that they really should get a better name.

Most who really get it will contact you. There is, of course, the assumption that someone is going to want $XXX,XXX for a niche two word .COM if you contact them. We all even know that ourselves and sometimes get it back when we do ask! As we all also know too, we see expired drop names that are listed with a FIRM price of $8,500 at Sedo! Its a funny business! You don't generally turn that 'great' name that you just dug up for 10 bucks for retail in 10 days though (happy exceptions noted).

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This thread is not about what people consider "bad" or "good" domains. If I am selling City+RealEstate.com to a company who has City-Real-Estate.net or any real estate agent in that city I am not trying to sell them a substandard domain. Alternatively I can hold the City+RealEstate.com domain for 2+ years, based on advice on this forum, and not get any offers. Does that mean this domain is "bad", no.

Now if I had the domain RealEstate.com of course there would be alot of interest, and offers but is that relevant to this thread? Obviously not.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are end users thinking

"Everyone who has too many domains (more than me) is a scum, people should not be allowed too many domains and someone should take their domains (and give them to me because I want it for my unique blog blabble)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Contacting an end user can be of value especially if you want to get rid of the name for $100-350 (or so).
The problem with flipping low value domains ( <= $500) to end users is the time involved:
  • identifying the potential buyers
  • reaching out to them
  • educating them and negotiating
You need to make sure it is worth your time and effort.

The truth is though that people, to some degree at least 'get' domains or they just plain don't. There is one company that is obviously a big engineering firm with multiple US plants that I contacted last year. The have a contorted and hyphenated name that they love. I have the real, non-hyphenated (and generic) .COM and they turned it down flat for $250.
So true. Domainers are cheap, but end users too.
Even when you're dealing with a multi million dollar company, doesn't mean they will pay you huge amounts of money for a good name, even if it's a drop in the ocean to them.
Often they have a set budget. They decide how much money they are willing to leave on the table.
Also, it's not just a question of price, but a question of ROI to them. Many won't just understand the real value of the domain or have no way of measuring ROI.

"Everyone who has too many domains (more than me) is a scum, people should not be allowed too many domains and someone should take their domains (and give them to me because I want it for my unique blog blabble)
Yes they think that too.
Now it depends, even if you have the name parked on Sedo they may not be aware you own 20000+ other domains. You just happen to own the one that they want.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

hah! :)

thus, the term cybersquatter was born

and i have been addressed as one a few times by "potentials".... who contacted me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom