Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What are the most valuable articles to read on this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

:)

Tord.. You ask so many questions. It's good to ask questions, but you need to look around yourselves for threads you find interesting and valuable. Like many others have said; it seems like you try to learn everything related to domaining in a week. Just have some patience and you will become well educated in time.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:)

Tord.. You ask so many questions. It's good to ask questions, but you need to look around yourselves for threads you find interesting and valuable. Like many others have said; it seems like you try to learn everything related to domaining in a week. Just have some patience and you will become well educated in time.

haha yeah I know bro :). I almost have the entire first-page newbie forum dedicated to my posts now....Yes, I am trying to learn as much as possible.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing, tons of questions....

Clearly he has the passion and the drive.... now go find the answers ;)

-=DCG=-

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been doing this for over 10 years and I still have questions but you need to do some homeworks by yourself before asking people questions.
Some may not reply to you as they think you make them to do the work for you.

The dangerous thing about the way you are asking questions now is the answers may not be right for you. 10 different people may have 10 different answers and you can't tell who is right or wrong.

1. Define a budget - how much you will invest in domain names
2. Define an area that you will concentrate: quick flip, PPC, develop website ,etc... - One can't be an expert in everything.
3. Browse/search the forums for the answers after you are done with #1 and #2
4. Post questions after you can't find them from #3

Good luck!
John

Last edited:

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Every bit of information on the forum is valuable in one way or another. As others have mentioned, find a niche you are going to start in and start from there. After you get into the game a little, think about upgrading your membership to an Exclusive membership and you will have access to a wealth of information that Exclusive-only members have access to in addition to newsletters from -=DCG=- himself. These alone is well worth the upgrade in membership fees.

Just take it one step at a time as we all learn every day.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The variety of advice does reflect everybody's individual experience. Tord, start making your own path inside the domain world, not piggybacking on other people's. You show enough original inquiring nature to form your own domaining profile.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
questions are good, don't listen to tight asses who tells you to shut up, if they don't like your questions- why they responds here

listed what i say ~D

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing, tons of questions....

Clearly he has the passion and the drive.... now go find the answers ;)

-=DCG=-

The sad part is that he has been asking a lot of questions (good) and he's been getting some of the best advice, all of it I wish I had a year ago (very good) but he doesn't seem to be listening to it (very bad).

He was told NOT to hand register dozens / hundreds of domains. He was told to do research, spend some money on a couple of good domains and to read read read.

What does he do? he registers 40 LLLL.net domains. He had them appraised here, I think it was unanimous, all registration fee. It's quite frustrating to see someone get great advice and then throw away $400. Who knows, maybe he'll be lucky and get a score or two but the rest of them probabaly won't pan out.

TordB - you will not make a ton of money overnight (unless you win the lottery). Sit back and read. There is a lot of great information in this forum and other resources (mentioned in your other threads). Don't spend money by hand-registering domains unless you know of a brand new technology or you are 150% sure you are going to develop it.

With the money you've mentioned you should be able to get yourself a dictionary LLLL.org or maybe even some LLL.coms (or higher end LLLL.com). You spent $400 recently on .net domains and a year from now you're looking at another $400 bill. Buy some good domains, say for $2,000-$5,000 and you're looking at a much smaller bill a year from now plus the potential for some good parking revenue.

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TordB, some of the questions you are asking aren't even really domaining related, they're just simple use of computers, internet and basic business planning type questions.

Should you keep a word doc to plan your workflow? What are the downsides of a free email address?

C'mon man. I can't even believe you are getting answers for some of these. My questions go unanswered and in hind sight there's probably a good reason for that and it makes me work harder to find the answers. That, and your post count in a week is more than mine in several months.

You have to help yourself before you can expect anyone else to do so.

Ebiz4india

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TordB, The best advice for you is:-

Kindly listen to your seniors and moderators of this forum. Whatever they are saying, they are saying for your own good.

Asking questions is not bad ;), but asking too many questions which may be not related to domaining is not an good idea.

Cheers.

Last edited:

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
questions are good, don't listen to tight asses who tells you to shut up, if they don't like your questions- why they responds here

listed what i say ~D

On a related note, how does someone with almost 3,000 posts wear the moniker of a "domain newbie"?

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I first joined, more than a few of my questions went unanswered...it didn't take me long to realize why. I find that this forum in particular is geared towards more experienced domainers (which is great for us less experienced ones). So, it's more of a sit back and soak up how ever much you have time to read...

Questions that may be more 'intermediate' if you will, tend to be more well-received here - often with great advice in return. More basic questions can be found out on your own or elsewhere. Think of it this way - it costs $ to engage here...so why would others want to pay to see every other post (which are basic questions in their eyes) be from one person just starting out?

The better the experience for the more advanced domainers...the more willing they are to share and help with worthwhile questions...thus, the better for us at the end of the day. ;)

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

;)

Let's keep this thread about what I asked about, okay? Moreover, I know that I ask a lot of questions :). Although, I am trying to do a lot of reading too.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tordb why don't you judge for yourself?

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
;)

Let's keep this thread about what I asked about, okay? Moreover, I know that I ask a lot of questions :). Although, I am trying to do a lot of reading too.

Now you're going to tell us how we should be responding to you? You've got some nerve.

You've completely dominated this part of the board with what can at best be described as common sense questions. Questions which if you stopped and gave some thought to yourself, you could probably come up with the answers to.

I'm beginning to think that not only are you new to domaining, you just got your first computer and internet connection too. Either that, or you're some veteran DNForum domainer taking the piss for a laugh.

Try using the search feature here and elsewhere (like Google perhaps?) and you will come up with all kinds of useful information. Do the work for yourself before you expect everyone else to do it for you.

Last edited:

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Define a budget - how much you will invest in domain names
2. Define an area that you will concentrate: quick flip, PPC, develop website ,etc... - One can't be an expert in everything.
3. Browse/search the forums for the answers after you are done with #1 and #2
4. Post questions after you can't find them from #3

Good luck!
John

1. I will spend 5K on domains totally. However, I will spend $ 2750 this month.

2. I am going to focus on reselling sites. This is the niches I am thinking about:

LLLL.coms and .orgs (borth LLL's and LLLL's), does that sound like good ones?

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

1. I will spend 5K on domains totally. However, I will spend $ 2750 this month.

2. I am going to focus on reselling sites. This is the niches I am thinking about:

LLLL.coms and .orgs (borth LLL's and LLLL's), does that sound like good ones?

If you're going to focus on reselling domains, a good place to start is by purchasing:

* Premium LLLL.com's (lay off the XQOY.com-names)

* LLL.net/.org

* CCC.com (FL5.com , D8W.com etc. These are both affordable and you can make decent profit if you get good deals)

Try to look for bargains in these niches, pay attention to sales threads where these types of domains are sold and learn the prices. Learn why POOT.com sells for a higher amount than DPAT.com etc. Why DR5.COM sells for a higher amount than V9S.com etc. Why DPT.net is more valuable than ZYW.net etc.

You also need to learn how to appraise domain names you want to purchase or sell. Look up the domain name in Google with or without extension. Higher search engine frequency = higher value. Check monthly overture, previous development with archive.org, look at recent comparable sales at dnsaleprice.com , look at similar developed sites, are they in popular demand, do big companies stand behind similar domain names? All these factors are important when you want to determine the value of a domain name. And by determining the value of a domain name, you can find out how much you are willing to pay for a domain name. If you aren't certain that you will at least get your money back when you are selling the domain, then it's too expensive. If you are certain that you can get a domain name for $xxx or $x,xxx less than what comparable names sell for on today's market; - go for it!

Watch the market closely every day, as it's the only way you'll learn. Don't read outdated articles and buy e-books about "How to make $xx,xxx monthly by selling domain names". Those might have a few good tips you can take with you, but the most important thing is to watch the domain market closely and participate in it.

staffjam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just keep on reading all of the different sections here and on other forums. It's also a good idea to read the top blogs. A site i've found helpful is domaining.com as it lists the latest posts on the top domaining blogs out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom