Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What can be done when dealing with non-responding registrars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what can be done when dealing with non-responding registrars?

Like some of the sub-par 3rd-rate firms used by Pool.com, who have barely functioning websites, and domain control is lacking and they ignore all support requests and emails?

Getting quite worried about this as I have lots of names expiring soon at these firms and have little if any control over the names and most all emails to the registrars are ignored. They are mostly located in Asia.

Fo example, signdomains dot com (an often used Pool partner in New Delhi India) ignores all my support requests so I can gain access to the several domains reg'd there by Pool, some are expiring very soon. I can't even renew them there let alone transfer them away!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is only one answer -

TRANSFER exactly 60 days and 1 minute after they register the name. Never leave names at a bad registrar.

NameWolf

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well try giving them a call if they have a phone number. When dealing with pool, I usually get in touch with them directly and request them to contact the registar or carry out the task for me.

NW

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameWolf said:
Well try giving them a call if they have a phone number....NW

But the problem is the cost of calling places like India, Korea, Japan and likely long hold times too. For example, signdomains dot com in India, has ignored all my support requests for many days and I am very worried about losing names as they are expiring soon, 2 of the names were costly buys.

They even ignore requests to renew them there let alone transfer away or unlock them and get needed transfer auth codes.

Does anyone know the process and speed in complaining to ICANN, which I apparently need to do next?

This is a very serious problem in the industry and something needs to be done about it.

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i don't think icann can do anythinh about them, coz they aren't icann accredited registrars.

they r 'wild east' private 'registrars' whose only mission is life is 2 catch these domains 4 their rich cousin registrars in the west.

transfer outta them as soon as 60 days is over.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
But the problem is the cost of calling places like India, Korea, Japan and likely long hold times too. For example, signdomains dot com in India, has ignored all my support requests for many days and I am very worried about losing names as they are expiring soon, 2 of the names were costly buys.

FYI, it's CHEAPER to call many countries now than to call across cities in the US! I pay 2 to 5 cents a minute with calling cards. Google "phone cards" and you'll see a ton of them. India and UK are usually the cheapest. A 1 hour phone call should be US $1.50 or so.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
producer said:
....transfer outta them as soon as 60 days is over.

Easier said than done. The 60 days is long over. Tough to transfer away when the names are either locked (coms) or transf auth codes are needed (orgs) and the login fails and paswrd recovery also does not work so no way to manage them.

Even the renewal process does not work as their programmer has renew confused with transfer in and when you click to renew instead it brings up a domain transfer (in to them) screen and not a renewal screen.

This kinda BS happens at other 3rd rate (mostly Asian) registrars too in that the websites are barely functioning and some features simply do not work, and support is non-existant it seems.

Yoshiki

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
producer said:
they r 'wild east' private 'registrars' whose only mission is life is 2 catch these domains 4 their rich cousin registrars in the west.

Watch your mouth, producer. What you call "wild east" registrars in Japan at least are not what you say they are. :)

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
producer said:
i don't think icann can do anythinh about them, coz they aren't icann accredited registrars.

transfer outta them as soon as 60 days is over.

Yes, ICANN *can* do something about them, but probably wouldn't. You can't register domains unless you are an ICANN accredited registrar or a reseller of a registrar. Pool doesn't use resellers (duh), though they do use "special purpose regisrars" (ala Enron's special purpose entities) who exist primarily to catch drops.

For Sign Domains, go to http://register.signdomains.com and log in. I haven't had to renew there yet, but the control panel and confirmation email look almost identical to Directi's (wanna bet they licensed the tech from them or are an offshoot of Directi?) - so renewal shouldn't be too hard.

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Thanks for your feedback advice but please read the other posts re being unable to login.

I am having the same problems. I backordered and won a domain on June 7th via Pool. I did a Whois look-up and it says the registrar is HJLInnen. I go to their web site and they have absolutely no interface. I try emailing them and no response. So I call Pool and they say that since HJLInnen is not set up for this, they have moved the domain to NameScout and I be receiving an email in 2-3 minutes with the login. Nothing ever comes. I go to NameScout to use the retrieve login info and get nothing, all emails sent directly to them get no response. I call them 3 days in a row and sit on hold listening to the Cars gretates hits for a total of 2 and a half hours speaking to no one. The domain is locked so I can do a transfer on the 7th of next month.

I have since won two more backorders through Pool, one through AlohaNIC who has a crappy interface and sent no login info, and the other through Transecute who sent me login info with invalid links and the logins don't work anywhere oon their site ot DirectI's.

While Pool is great at getting the names, what's the sense if we can't manage them?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nicpal said:
I have since won two more backorders through Pool, one through AlohaNIC who has a crappy interface and sent no login info, and the other through Transecute who sent me login info with invalid links and the logins don't work anywhere oon their site ot DirectI's.

While Pool is great at getting the names, what's the sense if we can't manage them?

I'm afraid I have more bad news for you on AlohaNic. I've been trying to get login info for a domain from them since May 20! It's an unbelievable story. I bought the domain from Pool's marketplace and it is in Pool's name. After having Pool try to light a fire under them, I finally got an email from AlohaNic, telling me they won't move it into my name until Pool signs notarized forms and includes a copy of their articles of incorporation to prove they are Pool! And this is from someone who is supposed to be a Pool partner! Oh yes, and even though I am in another country I am supposed to sign the form and have it notarized too before the name I bought can be transferred to me. It is so ludicrous it's almost funny. Obviously, assuming I ever get the name in the first place, it will be impossible for me to ever sell it with all of the nonsense I would have to go through to do a transfer! Pool is trying to help. I just think that in the rush to beat the competition they hooked up with some registrars that are far lamer than they ever could have imagined. It has become an industry wide problem that HAS to be fixed.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can file with InterNic on any issues associated with a registrar here - http://reports.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi

Or -send an email (including the information below) to [email protected]. As a courtesy, ICANN will forward your complaint to the registrar for review and further handling. (Please note that there is no guarantee that the registrar will reply.) This is straight off their site - " (Please note that there is no guarantee that the registrar will reply.)" - Best of luck - Steve

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
I'm afraid I have more bad news for you on AlohaNic.

Well, luckily on this one the domain's WhoIs at least shows my info, but it still doesn't really matter if the domain is locked and I can't change any info. I really think Pool enjoys all the traffic they get from these domains, locking in their Nameservers for a couple months at a time!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a company with such contempt for customers? This is absolutely amazing. Even Netsol and Microsoft are angels after my dealings with Pool, and it seems like they are happy to screw with each and every person in the business.

I predict bad things for them - SOMEBODY's going to take this real personal and make a little trip to their office eventually.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
URLCollection said:
You can file with InterNic on any issues associated with a registrar here - http://reports.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi

Or -send an email (including the information below) to [email protected]. As a courtesy, ICANN will forward your complaint to the registrar for review and further handling. (Please note that there is no guarantee that the registrar will reply.) This is straight off their site - " (Please note that there is no guarantee that the registrar will reply.)" - Best of luck - Steve

Thanks Steve for the valuable information.

I will be contacting them right away but concerned there are no guarantees. Does that mean the registrars can get away with doing (or not doing) what ever they want.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would suppose that InterNic keeps tabs on the amount of complaints that any registrar gets that are filed with them. Part of the Registrar Agreement that I remember reading a while back, does give them the power to "suspend" a registar that does not follow the rules. Which all of these problems as above seem to be "blantant violations of the guidelines". I do not know if they have ever suspended a registrar, but seems that this may be the "only" method that Icann or InterNic has available to voice concerns on their membership base from the consumers. We have used it in the past and never got a response from anyone. Steve

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
URLCollection said:

Thanks for the links Steve - have them bookmarked now. I'm afraid I'm going to be needing them a lot. I think ICANN is going to have to start shouldering more responsibility here. As long as they let registrars use the "ICANN Accredited" stamp, this kind of thing is going to bring heat directly on ICANN as it appears they have approved and condoned these charlatans masquerading as registrars.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
I'm afraid I have more bad news for you on AlohaNic. I've been trying to get login info for a domain from them since May 20! It's an unbelievable story. I bought the domain from Pool's marketplace and it is in Pool's name. After having Pool try to light a fire under them, I finally got an email from AlohaNic, telling me they won't move it into my name until Pool signs notarized forms and includes a copy of their articles of incorporation to prove they are Pool! And this is from someone who is supposed to be a Pool partner! Oh yes, and even though I am in another country I am supposed to sign the form and have it notarized too before the name I bought can be transferred to me. It is so ludicrous it's almost funny. Obviously, assuming I ever get the name in the first place, it will be impossible for me to ever sell it with all of the nonsense I would have to go through to do a transfer! Pool is trying to help. I just think that in the rush to beat the competition they hooked up with some registrars that are far lamer than they ever could have imagined. It has become an industry wide problem that HAS to be fixed.

I stopped using Pool.com because of this very reason. Trying to get the login info from registrars was maddening. Some didn't even have an english page! Pool.com sould do what Enom does and provide a central management for all domains caught by partner registrars. Enom makes it seem so simple and Pool makes it seem so hard...and they're in the same business...go figure.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
URLCollection said:
We have used it in the past and never got a response from anyone. Steve

Steve, your firm has more glout than mine. And, if they don't respond to your
inquiries, I don't think they will respond to mine.

I am in the same boat as Duke. I also bought a couple names from Pool's
MarketPlace and still do not have control.

:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom