Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

invincible

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just received email from SEDO:

We are writing to inform you that Sedo has received a complaint of potential trademark infringement regarding the use of the following domain names in conjunction with Sedo services:

sedoz.com

Due to the famous nature of the trademark contained in the domain at issue, Sedo is forced to remove your domain from the domain marketplace and parking program at this time. This action in no way affects your registration or control of the domain, your Sedo user account or the other domains you have listed for sale or parked with Sedo. However, due to the potential of infringement of a famous mark Sedo must do the following:

- Suspend the domain name from our domain marketplace
$ifBlockPark:- Suspend the domain name from our parking program

Sedo takes great pains to strike a balance between the legitimate rights of domain owners and third party intellectual property owners and require verification of legal complaints before taking any action against a domain listed for sale or parked with Sedo.

If you have any questions regarding this message, or if you believe this action was taken in error, please contact the Sedo legal department at [email protected].

Can anyone explain how this 5letter combination be a TM issue???

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just did a check on the name sedoz and no tm reggistered, sedo is providing you with false info... they must be concerned with their own domain, keep the domain .. you are 100% tm free... what a bunch of dorks at sedo... wow

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just did a check on the name sedoz and no tm reggistered, sedo is providing you with false info... they must be concerned with their own domain, keep the domain .. you are 100% tm free... what a bunch of dorks at sedo... wow

lol

even though that's a "standard" Sedo TM reply...

the name is direct infringement on Sedo's brand and also the OP parked it at Sedo.

some should at least use common sense

:rolleyes:

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
either way , your are 100% tm free dude... just because sedo claims or someone else says so... does not make it right for them to violate your rights by claiming you violated their rights... whats next i reg sedox...com and im violating their tm cause the word contains sedo.. BS if it comes to court.. they will lose

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It's like putting ebayz.com for sale on eBay.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sedo's too ethical to steal clicks on their own typo. :D

poulos

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
common sense goes a long way,

poulos

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you dont have rights when your wrong,dont play with fire, its not worth getting burned,

sedo is very reputable,

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how this 5letter combination be a TM issue???

I guess someone needs to spell it out. Let's see:

1. You listed sedoz.com at, of all places, Sedo.

2. The domain name's DNS uses, of all places, Sedo's:

http://www.iwhois.com/index.php?domain=sedoz&tld=com&lookup=Lookup&clean=1

Domain Name: SEDOZ.COM
Name Server: NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM
Name Server: NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM

(Don't know what the domain name showed that time, but I can imagine. :D)

Bottom line: your domain name, coupled with its use that time, had potentially
infringed Sedo's trademark. You also agreed to their User Agreement that, in
case you didn't read, incidentally includes a term something about not using
their service that's potentially infringing someone's trademark.

Obviously Sedo believes you broke their agreement. While it's fine if you don't
agree with their position, you don't get to interpret their user agreement to
suit what you believe.

OTOH, it's not the end of the world. There are other places you can list your
domain name on...until Sedo decides to make it an issue, that is.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
either way , your are 100% tm free dude... just because sedo claims or someone else says so... does not make it right for them to violate your rights by claiming you violated their rights... whats next i reg sedox...com and im violating their tm cause the word contains sedo.. BS if it comes to court.. they will lose

Brilliant legal advice, you go to Harvard? Yale? Such great insite.

Sorry man, that is an irresponsible post in the legal section.

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Brilliant legal advice, you go to Harvard? Yale? Such great insite.

Sorry man, that is an irresponsible post in the legal section.

I have to agree with DNQuest here.

Batman - If you don't know what you are talking about, don't post about it. If you know anything about domain trademark law then you will know it is about the "intent of usage". We don't know what was OP's intention to register the domain name.

Sure he can win, but there is more chance that SEDO will win it.

So, don't give advice on subjects you have no idea about and mislead people.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually know what im talking about, we dont live in Africa.. ICANN is formed in USA... We have rights ...

sedoz is not a violation of any rights.... its very clear... if this individual reged this name in bad faith to use it for ppc on sedo ads.. yes thats bad practise and this person will loose their domain.. otherwise if this man reged this domain for a business or future website... HE IS no way in violation of any tm... get your facts straight

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually know what im talking about, we dont live in Africa.. ICANN is formed in USA... We have rights ...

sedoz is not a violation of any rights.... its very clear... if this individual reged this name in bad faith to use it for ppc on sedo ads.. yes thats bad practise and this person will loose their domain.. otherwise if this man reged this domain for a business or future website... HE IS no way in violation of any tm... get your facts straight

Oh I am sure John Berryhill is disparate to have you working for his law firm. Thanks for enlightening me sir -- you are a genius. :p

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if this individual reged this name in bad faith to use it for ppc on sedo ads.. yes thats bad practise and this person will loose their domain.. otherwise if this man reged this domain for a business or future website... HE IS no way in violation of any tm...

Borrowing one member's insightful post:

Try to think of trademark infringement as distinct from cybersquatting. Trademark infringement does not require a showing of bad faith intent (at least in the United States), but requires a trademark use and confusing similarity to an existing mark.

And Sedo's reply to the OP:

We are writing to inform you that Sedo has received a complaint of potential trademark infringement regarding the use of the following domain names in conjunction with Sedo services

I'll bet you that Sedo shut that domain name down not just because it's got a
term matching their trademark, but what it also showed that time. And Sedo's
not exactly a stranger to things like these.

Whether the OP will still be able to use that domain name for something else
remains to be seen. But if Sedo decides to dispute the OP's registration, then
the latter can always dispute their dispute if s/he's up to it.

It's one thing to have rights (if any to begin with). It's another to enforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom