Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What does .TV mean to you? Tuvalu or Television?

What does .TV mean to you?

• Television

Votes: 34 89.5%
  • Tuvalu

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think .tv domains are more popular in Asia then other places of the world. We only recognize .tv as .television, no need to say anything more, that's enough for the .tv domains.

Yes.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
The problem is that even the "television" meaning has little application on the internet.

That may be true in 2004, but my guess is by 2007 there will be no such thing as the "internet".... "It" will be in your TV's, computers, cars, etc. (Think: IPv6)

Convergence....adaptive technology...anywhere, anytime...

As far as dot TV names go, they clearly have nothing to do with Tuvalu, but rather a "niche" media market. Niche markets tend to grow slowly, then overtime catch hold as the market matures.

The question is will the dot .tv market catch hold and mature? I would say the chances are better than 50/50. However, don't expect to see million dollar dot TV sales. If you want to succeed in this market, you are statistically better off trying to brand a "single" tv site now. When the market catches up to you then you may have a shot a selling your .tv names for much more than you paid.

One reason I won't invest in .tv is the registrar. Can't ever tell if they would change the "rules" on you if (or when) they become more mainstream. This is not a "stable" investment environment IMHO...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
j8jweb said:
So stuff like:

widescreen.tv
lcd.tv
films.tv
news.tv
sports.tv

... are all incredible domain names.

I've also seen .tv domains come in very useful for email addresses on TV programmes. People remember it because it stands out and makes sense, particularly in the UK.

Yes, those are all good examples of uses that make sense. Plasma.tv did sell for a lot of money. Elequa has also shown that .tv can work with good development through his mp3.tv. In the end though, I am with Izopod on the registrar policy scaring me away from even considering .TV. You can spend your time and money building a site, then have them reclassify the name as a "premium domain" and multiply your annual reg fee a hundred fold.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
then have them reclassify the name as a "premium domain" and multiply your annual reg fee a hundred fold.

I don't think it would happen, the registrar has to be bound by the registration contract as well. I've asked them before, if some very good .tv names(such as plasma.tv I registered) regged with a flat fees(sometimes www.tv just missed it or did not consider it was a premium that time), will they increase the reg fee next year when I renew ? They said no way, they will only charge the price what the original contract has set. So Elequa will only have to pay the $100 renewal fee every year as long as he keep plasma.tv :eek:k:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yesonline said:
I've asked them before, if some very good .tv names(such as plasma.tv I registered) regged with a flat fees(sometimes www.tv just missed it or did not consider it was a premium that time), will they increase the reg fee next year when I renew ? They said no way, they will only charge the price what the original contract has set.

Umm, hate to be the bearer of bad news but all registrars have clauses in their contracts you agree to that say that they can change the rules within 30 days of them posting the changes to their website. The good ones will even email the changes.

Dot Tv has a reputation for "bait and switch". However to each is own I always say. Certainly there is no harm in purchasing a dot tv name in hopes that dot tv won't change the rules.

Best of luck..

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Television for me :)

truenames

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
television was the 1st thing that came up in my mind

M

mole

truenames said:
television was the 1st thing that came up in my mind

That's the whole point, true. .tv is like a pretty girl you lusted while drunk at a pub, only to find out later "she" was a transvestite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom