Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion What got you started in Domaining?

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

Anita

Level 4
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This thread was started based on a new member's query in his/her introduction. Thanks and welcome @Clover.

So what got you started in Domaining? Am sure many of you would have moved from it being a hobby to a passion. Do share your domaining story and thoughts :)

warmest regards,
Anita

Deleted member 322971123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I accidentally discovered this domaining business. I know the domain name from my school time and I was developing a smaller website & blog (on WordPress) for mainly ads earning from Adsense and another source then flipping it for a good amount.

In 2015 I was chasing to buy a website and found it listed on a popular domaining forum for sale. That's when I realised that there are people who just buy/hand register good domain names and sell them to startups and other businesses.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i started domaining by coincidence.

was doing a search for a co-worker at the time, about "make money catalog" sites.

the details get dim sometimes,
if you care to read it, here is a past interview with Elliot, on the topic of how i started

:)

imo..

Deleted member 322971123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

i started domaining by coincidence.

was doing a search for a co-worker at the time, about "make money catalog" sites.

the details get dim sometimes,
if you care to read it, here is a past interview with Elliot, on the topic of how i started

:)

imo..

I read it before.

Last edited:

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was involved in a lot of affiliate marketing and “get paid to surf” type programs back in the day and was making my own websites and programs.

While searching domains, Saw an opportunity to snap up deleting names and sell them back to poor souls who had lost them. From a moral perspective, it just didn't feel right and I moved on to more of an investment model.

Through research, discovered parking, aftermarket sites, and the forums.

Tried lots of different ways to make money in domaining and the changing market caused me to switch business plans and focus a number of times.

Slowly developed my own style of long term investing and kept it as a profitable hobby for the last couple decades. Nothing flashy, just finding bargain names in the aftermarket that people missed and holding them for retail buyers.

trying to scale up my portfolio these days, while making sure I retain enough quality to maintain the metrics that allow me to profit.

Sometimes I go years without actively buying or participating beyond renewals and collecting sales. Domaining has been my most consistent online venture, and something I can just set and forget when I am on another adventure.

Clover

Level 1
Reaction score
Thank you for the shoutout @Anita :)

My interested in domaining stemmed from my history of Gamertag trading when I was younger mixed with an interest in web design and development. I tried out running websites when I was about 14, nothing special, but I did learn a tad bit of html coding and learned some other stuff in cPanel.

That was long ago, but last year I had the idea to invest in a bunch of handregs which wasn't a good idea but I was able to find a forgiving buyer on a non-domaining forum and have made my money back from the initial investment and got to keep the best domains out of it.

I am still getting started :D haha

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom