Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What is the value of 4 letter with hyphen? Example: A-BC.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

yru

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been seeing 4 letter domains starting to sell on various market places.

Any value for a 4 character that has a hyphen, like S-DF.com

I know in a 3 character dot com, a hyphen typically adds more value.

EDIT: When I posted "4 letter", I should have said "4 character" because of the hyphen.

Last edited:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, if you're talking about L-LL.com or LL-L.com don't waste your money unless it means something or it's a great sequence like AB-C.com or A-BC.com, but even then it's not that hot a domain (LLL is technically a CCC but it's referred to as LLL, and NNN is a CCC strictly speaking but same point as before, they're called NNN) Also run from something like 85-9.com or 4-92.com unless the numbers have a meaning, N-NN or NN-N, no one wants them

N-N.com's and L-L.com have far less possibilities available, so something like 9-6.com will do well. And Y-K.com will to. As to something like 6-U.com or C-9.com they'll sell well but I'd invest that in better domains

And if you're talking about any CCC.com like A-48.com or 67-B.com (combo of letters & numbers) it's worth -$10,000 (negative $10K) lol and that's when A and 8 are the greatest numbers/letters (unless the domain term has a meaning)

C-C.com domains are also viewed as an alternative to its respective LL.com, NN.com or CC.com and that's how you valuate them IMO

When you say in a 3 character dot com, a hyphen typically adds more value you must be referring to A-B.com or 8-3.com, did you mean it adds more value than AB.com or 83.com ? if so, that's not the case at all. I'm sure you meant AB-C.com or 6-73.com (as an alternative to ABC.com or 673.com) is more valuable than any LLLL.com or NNNN.com, but I don't agree here either. Hyphens kill domains, period

......Any value for a 4 letters that has a hyphen, like S-DF.com.........I know in a 3 character dot com, a hyphen typically adds more value.

Last edited:

yru

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, if you're talking about L-LL.com or LL-L.com

That's what I meant

And if you're talking about any CCC.com like A-8.com, it's worth -$10,000 (negative $10K) lol and that's when A and 8 are the greatest numbers/letters

So you think these are worth zero? I have seen these sell for hundreds.

When you say "in a 3 character dot com, a hyphen typically adds more value" you must be referring to A-B.com or 8-3.com, did you mean it adds more value than AB.com or 83.com ? if so, that's not the case at all. I'm sure you meant AB-C.com (as an alternative to ABC.com) is more valuable than any LLLL.com, but I don't agree here either. Hyphens kill domains, period

From what I've seen, L-N.com/N-L.com seems to sell for more than a 3 character combo LNL.com/NLN.com. I didn't mean that they were a substitute for a 2 character.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, dude, I forgot a digit in my -$10K example, an L-NN or N-LL or any CCCC in which there's a hyphen is totally worthless, that's what I was trying to say (I edited my post too) However, I'm painfully aware that with an L-LL.com or LL-L.com or N-NN.com or NN-N.com some imbecile may just decide to fight you to the death over it, I was threatened to be taken to WIPO by an idiot w/an IQ of -75 who would not even name the domain of his he said I was violating, and yet he got Go Daddy to take him seriously without even saying to them what the mystery domain was. I kid you not. He would not name the domain he accused me of infringing on and he got real far with that (I did a thread on that N-NN.com right here) I owned an N-NN.com which I almost dropped cuz it was worth zero and then came this retard, it was the good sequence of numbers in my case. K-KK.com or PP-P.com may do well, for example. So may 77-7.com or 3-33.com

I wasn't sure if you'd meant you thought that in a 3-char domain a hyphen adds value like A-8.com as a subsitute to A8.com, if so you would've been wrong, but now I know you didn't think that. Or, if you'd meant A-8.com had more value than any CCC.com (like 8H4.com or A5Y.com), if so you're right,. But sometimes ppl see T-KH.org or 78-9.net as 3-char, which would be wrong, I know you don't, those are 4-char domains in which one of the characters is a hyphen

When we see a CCC.com comment we all think 7T6.com or H6R.com, considerably inferior, or 56Z.com or H38.com, not so great either in today's market

But my point also was, the main reason I'd buy T-K.com or 8-6.com is if I can't afford TK.com or 86.com, right ? Unless you're talking about K-Y (the TMd brand) or some N-N known mark. As to a famous N-L or L-N, I cannot think of a single one .....

So, for 9-A.com or R-7.com, they may sell well cuz they're short but I'd much rather spend all that money on non-hyphenated NNN.com or NNNN.com domains, or LLL.com or even great LLLL.com names

:)

Last edited:

DomainHull

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(also a beginner) I registered the domain name is-lam.com the other day, does a domain with a hyphen such as in this case hold any value at all?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
(also a beginner) I registered the domain name is-lam.com the other day, does a domain with a hyphen such as in this case hold any value at all?

No.

First, if you're talking about L-LL.com or LL-L.com then do not waste your money unless it means something or it's a great sequence like AB-C.com or A-BC.com, but even then it's not that hot a domain

It's essentially the same as angel69's example given, with an additional letter.

However, I would say that AKB-48.com would be an XX,XXX end user domain name over here cause there are thousands of kids who just adore them (and they're pretty hot, strictly speaking if they're of legal age of course ;)). My bad, that's 6 characters... but that could answer your next question if EG-YPT.com is of value.

Last edited:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, David is right about IS-LAM.com although that one or even ISL-AM.com might have some use for someone, somewhere, some day lol, only cuz it's one of the 3 main religions in the world and I assume it's taken in any decent ext that's not a ccTLD

But actually, DomainHull, you picked a term that can be built as a hack lol, ie ISL.AM, since .am is an extension, check if it's regged but I'm pretty sure it is. But if not and you sell it well I get 33% of your proceeds, k ? LMAO .... And David picked another great example with Egypt, ie .PT is the ext for Portugal, if EGY.PT isn't taken I'm sure some Egyptian would love to own it, so to whomever makes any money out of these 2 comments, remember me lol..... (but these are hacks, they work with the extension itself being part of the word, the TS meant to ask about hyphenated names, but sometimes a good hack may make more sense than a hyphenated name)

If the term makes good sense as a domain or it's a known mark then the hyphen won't matter, in fact a hyphen may be part of the actual name/mark and works best with it, like AK-47.com LMFAO, assuming it's not a TM whoever owns it has a killer domain, no pun intended....Just make sure (DomainHull) there are no TM conflicts. In fact, there's no limit as to the # of chars if the hyphen works (Bosnia-Herzegovina.com is a country name), it just needs to make sense. K-Y is TMd, 7-Eleven also is, but there aren't many

I had to Google AKB-48 actually lol, I thought it was some toy gun I might have missed when I read your example (David), it does sound a little like a rifle name, tho LMAO.... don't ya think ? Now I know they're a musical group and America should be hearing from them soon. I wonder why on earth they picked such a strange name, it's not easy to remember....

:music:

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been seeing 4 letter domains starting to sell on various market places.

Any value for a 4 letters that has a hyphen, like S-DF.com

I know in a 3 character dot com, a hyphen typically adds more value.

Hi

actually, that is "three letters" and a "hyphen", thus making it a "4 char", not a "4 letter domain"

and as such, no "market" has been established yet for that grouping.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had to Google AKB-48 actually lol, I thought it was some toy gun I might have missed when I read your example (David), it does sound a little like a rifle name, tho LMAO.... don't ya think ? Now I know they're a musical group and America should be hearing from them soon. I wonder why on earth they picked such a strange name, it's not easy to remember....

:music:

AKB-48 is ammunition for a gun... (Reference to Full Metal Jacket, though I hate he was post-retirement meritoriously promoted to Gunnery Sergeant after the filming ...can I be meritoriously promoted?!)

Last edited:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought of two more examples, A1 (Steak Sauce by Kraft, usually no hyphen) and the B52 bomber (Lockheed Martin) and for B52 the plane you find references with the hyphen too, B-52

So there must be plenty of model #s, product types, even company names, etc that include a hyphen but so few are known marks but as domains they're worth a lot less due to the hyphen

And K-Y (by the makers of Tylenol lol) was smart enough to acquire both it (K-Y.com) and KY.com... isn't it funny the folks who make Tylenol (famous for an older crowd, even w/arthritis) delved into the adult product world too ? lmfao, who knows, maybe K-Y has "around the house" uses we're not aware of...

:sick:

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And K-Y (by the makers of Tylenol lol) was smart enough to acquire both it (K-Y.com) and KY.com... isn't it funny the folks who make Tylenol (famous for an older crowd, even w/arthritis) delved into the adult product world too ? lmfao, who knows, maybe K-Y has "around the house" uses we're not aware of...

:sick:

How do you think older people insert catheters? :puke:

KY fights are always nice though. :smilewinkgrin:

However, you are correct. There are a lot of models that may be worth something, but it also depends on if they're trademarked in a certain way.

Examples: B-52 (your era? ;)), C-130 & Osprey V-22 (my children's era).
Boeing Dreamliner: 747-8, 737-700ER, 737-900ER, etc...

Jag.me

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What is the value of 4 letter with hyphen? Example: A-BC.com

A domain name is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay... ​

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A domain name is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay... ​

Hi

that is not a true statement to apply across the spectrum.

as which buyer are you referring to... the first potential buyer, who submits an offer, saying "this is what i'm willing to pay"?

if domains were only worth what "a buyer was willing to pay", then there would be no "reseller" market.

imo...

Jag.me

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

that is not a true statement to apply across the spectrum.

as which buyer are you referring to... the first potential buyer, who submits an offer, saying "this is what i'm willing to pay"?

if domains were only worth what "a buyer was willing to pay", then there would be no "reseller" market.

imo...

I am referring to any buyer, be it first or second and so on.

DomainHull

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I guess I figured that since islam.com is probably worth over 50,000, is-lam.com may be worth more than the 9 dollars I registered it for...lol. It may be in the future. I also reg a few other hyphen domains like swift-pc.com, and cure-pc.com. I guess those make a little more sense given the two separate words. I'm probably going to stay away from them in the future though.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I guess I figured that since islam.com is probably worth over 50,000, is-lam.com may be worth more than the 9 dollars I registered it for...lol. It may be in the future. I also reg a few other hyphen domains like swift-pc.com, and cure-pc.com. I guess those make a little more sense given the two separate words. I'm probably going to stay away from them in the future though.

I think it's safe to say if the website owner wanted to sell Islam dot com, it would be a six figure deal (quite possibly more since there's a 200,000k+ followership)... :)

As far as the other two you posted, they make more sense with the hyphen. PC-Swift (make faster) as well as Cure-PC (fix bugs) could be branded into a royalty free computer cleaning piece of software, however, without development... I don't see value in them (as not my niche), but since pc-swift.com has some age (2001), you may be able to find an end user software developer to sell to or someone may want it on this forum (as age does carry some weight for a domain name).

Good luck!

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I said hyphens kill domains, period I actually believed that is true for the most part, with rare exceptions. In fact, you should lighten up on buying/regging hyphenated names altogether cuz they're a big risk (DomainHull), you might get stuck with them for yrs or get just peanuts for them. Even the 2 examples you gave, sure they make sense, but who would actually prefer to buy/reg any hyphenated versions if they can reg/buy CurePC.com and SwiftPC.com instead ? I imagine these (minus the hyphen) are taken and if for sale they'd set you back a lot of money. Like David said also, they may make sense for developing (with a hyphen) but IMO the holder of the non-hyphenated versions would always have the edge, and hyphenated domains aren't good for resale in general. If I were thinking of a great idea or creating a new biz I'd look for its .com domain w/o any hyphen, and if that were n/a I simply wouldn't use that name...

Sometimes you find examples in real life that make you question the domain owner's sanity for actually STICKING with the hyphenated version even after they were able to get the thing w/o a hyphen. My dad's CPA, I give him hell every time I see him in a joking way, he had regged something like FTK-CPA.com (his initials) and then he finally was able to get FTKCPA.com, guess which one he still uses. That's right, and he doesn't even bother to redirect ppl to the hyphenated site he seems to love, you get a blank page and/or error message just like in many other instances for all sorts of people/cos. I find that simply befuddling...

Huge businesses aren't smarter either, ExpressScripts.com does not work (error) yet it's owned by Express Scripts, the 2nd largest PBM in the US, duh...LMFAO.... They finally acquired it after they had already established Express-Scripts.com, which they seem to prefer using to this day ?! They say humans are creatures of habit, agreed, but these examples would make anyone w/a brain cringe...

:wacko: (That CPA and ES, not you, DomainHull :))

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Huge businesses aren't smarter either, ExpressScripts.com does not work (error) yet it's owned by Express Scripts, the 2nd largest PBM in the US, duh... ! LMFAO.... They finally acquired it after they had already established Express-Scripts.com, which they seem to prefer using to this day. They say humans are creatures of habit, agreed, but these examples would make anyone w/a brain cringe...

look at it from another perspective:

if I owned both, i'd use the hyphen too

as it seperates the 3 'S's" and reduces (perceived) typo potential of typing in same domain without hyphen

MM and 'express-scripts' hold the typo's > expresscripts.com expressscriopts.com and probably many other variations.

so in that respect....they "get it"

imo...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had to laugh when I saw the OP post that he had seen one sell for hundreds of dollars. (So you think these are worth zero? I have seen these sell for hundred.)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had to laugh when I saw the OP post that he had seen one sell for hundreds of dollars. (So you think these are worth zero? I have seen these sell for hundred.)

What do you mean? t-2.com sold for $5000 December 2012.

I think we're all getting character counts with hyphens all jacked up cause went from CCCC to CCC to CCCCC to CCCCCC in this thread, it kinda derailed. I'm assuming the OP meant C-C.com (and probably more than $100).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom