Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What to do if an end user refuses to pay you

Status
Not open for further replies.

richface

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys, Just looking for a bit of advice. I sold a domain to a business in the UK usually I always receive payment after a transfer or latest by a week. Anyway this particular company promised to pay immediately after transfer but obviously did not so I waited a few days and emailed them no reply, I called their main number and got cut off as soon as I mentioned my name, I phoned their ceo and also got cut off too, I have never come across anything like this before is it best to just let it go we are not even talking about a huge deal of money but it irritates me the company has been in business for 9 years. Its been close to 4 weeks now or I'm I being impatient? Maybe I should have used escrow but because it was only like Mid £xxx I thought to trust them. Anyone else had this experience? or I'm I being impatient?

Thanks

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope the amount is not big. I never transfer the name to anyone or any company until I receive payment.

I am not sure what else you can do.

richface

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys my own fault. I have done tons of transactions with companies even US based and always transferred domains first. I hope this is not just a lesson for me but for everyone make sure you receive payment before letting your domain go. Unless the company is a reputable one. The clever thing they did was they called me over the phone. The only prove I have selling the domain is the go daddy transfer confirmation nothing on email about funds for huge sales I always draw up a contract BUT with small sales I never bother. They did email me their go daddy details its seems unreal but anyway one of my friends is a solicitor and he has promised to send them an email on my behalf so see what happens. The company is a registered company though surprising. I will update this thread if I hear anything.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Transferring the domain first = bad idea. Your only route maybe to take them to court - but try to file a complaint with your registrar (where you had the domain) let them know the person did not pay and you want it back - they may do this.

Thomas Nash

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Where abouts in the UK are they based could you not pay them a visit?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wonder where you "learned" the habit, to transfer the domain first... before getting paid?

over the years, i've seen one or two other members who spouted that they transfer first before getting paid.

yet, despite the tons of posts that contradict that philosophy, i see some still do it.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would call Godaddy. You may still be able to reverse the push/transfer.

Name and shame is an option too, regardless of whether you recover the domain.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Red flag #84935 on any business transaction: Other party insists on voice telephone for transaction details, so that you have no evidence against him.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Red flag #84935 on any business transaction: Other party insists on voice telephone for transaction details, so that you have no evidence against him.
always good to follow up with email detailing deal as well...for many reasons.

Ben42

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With you both being in the UK there has got to be some kind of laws, ways for you to collect.

I'd print out all the emails and all other records AND create an invoice and send it to them snail-mail. Maybe they have an accounts payable that will deal with it. Make sure it's an invoice that looks official and put the number of days past due. Threaten to send to collections if not received in a certain amount of time.

Good luck!

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Always receive payment first before transferring to avoid this kind of situation, spending time and money to hound someone for the payment.

There are some websites where you can post scam alerts and name a business on it, so that it will show up in search engines. Then they might pay you for the domain to have it taken down. Name and shame can work.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
another thing you could do is live and learn...try to get that domain back and find another buyer.

don't let this one stop/slow you down.

Last edited:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would go start a social media campaign - maybe go to ripoffreport.com as well.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if the person stole your domain why not post it here to start.

did you file a police report??? all important if you plan on getting the name back.

get on this or let it go.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's a large company, and the ratio of their annual business income to the cost of this domain is large, then I would assume incompetence on their part ahead of dishonesty. The larger the organization, the more simple things fall through the cracks. And domain acquisitions are still the sort of unusual transactions that businesses don't have procedures and paper trails to handle. They may simply have gotten busy and forgotten. Although they have acted unprofessionally and inconvenienced you, try to use public shame and threats as a last resort because those things could make them less willing to help. If they don't pay, by all means, destroy their reputation. But I recommend maintaining a polite approach for awhile and contacting someone at the top of the food chain, as Ilze mentioned above. That person will be more concerned about the business's image than the low-level employees. Also, by simply calling their customer service number and eating up their time on the job, you may get your foot in the door. As long as you get the person on the other end of the phone to see your perspective about not getting paid, they will probably want to resolve the issue. Of course, I'm assuming they didn't intentionally defraud you. In my experience, people are more likely to steal for large amounts than medium or small amounts. And the odds are that this domain purchase is relatively small for the business; so I wouldn't assume theft for awhile. I'd begin with "There seems to be some mistake ..." Never underestimate bureaucratic incompetence.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From the description, it's not an honest mistake. That it's a small amount doesn't matter - some people are just made that way, they like to screw over others and there's nothing too petty. I also push domains to established companies when the figure is under $1000, and never had any problems. It makes the sales process easier, and there's relatively little risk in my experience. Nothing to be ashamed of, professionals in all fields have to deal with clients who can't/won't pay.

This is a good reminder to always follow up telephone conversations with emails repeating what was agreed to. This also helps to prevent misunderstandings.

If I could take them to small claims court, maybe I would. Not so much for the money, but because I'd hate being treated that way. Drum up as much publicity as you can, and do your best to see that you cost them much more than they saved by screwing you over.<style>.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}</style>

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom