Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay so the silver forums were deleted. Fine.
I paid to be a platinum member but gold members can post in platinum threads and advertise, unless the mods are missing something.
I now see google ads in every single thread.....what is this?
I paid to be this, I am contributing and all I see is squander.
This is a very popular site, no doubt. Alexa ranking, Overture and so on.
Why are we as paying member's subjected to ads, and jackasses on a newbie yet old forum?

Just my thought's and my questions, even making me more doubtful to join "exclusive"

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gold members cant see All the platinum forums, and they can NOT sell domains as platinum members can, they can only view and buy, not sell, i repeat, not sell.

and google ads have always been there...

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNForum is a business ... and like many, they are squeezing out every dollar they can...

On the one hand that's ok, since it has allowed DNForum to grow and add new features, etc more quickly ...

However, on the other hand, some things aren't as good/useful as they once were...

ie. Exclusive membership became mostly a waste when DNForum started to give out invites free/discounted rates for it - once the freeloaders got in there, it became no longer that exclusive; dodgy.

In regards to the ads ... another way to squeeze out some extra bucks ... paying members are more likely to respond to ads and buy.

Ron

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domagon said:
DNForum is a business ... and like many, they are squeezing out every dollar they can...
I have no problem with this ideal, but in most websites at least legitimate ones, once you pay to become a member the constant ads stop.

Domagon said:
On the one hand that's ok, since it has allowed DNForum to grow and add new features, etc more quickly ...
I also agree I can use more features and access more things.

Domagon said:
However, on the other hand, some things aren't as good/useful as they once were...
Yeah like brand new members flapping thier wings for the first time, instead of wasting our time, and links that don't work.

Domagon said:
ie. Exclusive membership became mostly a waste when DNForum started to give out invites free/discounted rates for it - once the freeloaders got in there, it became no longer that exclusive; dodgy...
100 hundred percent agree seems a little strange that mebers with 21 posts are exclusive members and makes me wonder about the worth of the three hundred and fifty dollars.

Domagon said:
In regards to the ads ... another way to squeeze out some extra bucks ... paying members are more likely to respond to ads and buy.
I find that false. It's the same as me listing all my domains and asking members to click on them to get me cash. I won't click on them and the only ones that do are idiots, newbies, or kiss-assers. We all know they generate cash, but so was my membership fee, and my DNF$ dollar buying.

Domagon said:

mmkrulz said:
and google ads have always been there...
They have when not logged in, but not in every post. Not until lately.

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didnt see them after every post, but i have always noticed them at the end of every thread, they were taken off for a little while, but they have been there before...

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Man as you can see you have just paid 1 time fee, not monthly and if they do not get much new members, then where will the server and bandwith money comes from. Google ads are there to get some more revenue and get the server costs and all and the membersrhips are as an profit.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1) Gold can reply to sales = more buyers. Not new, been this way.
2) The only Google ad I see is at the bottom of the thread. Also not new.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I still don't understand the "logic" why paying members should not be presented with ads. Yes, that *could* be an option (I mean you pay to get rid of ads) but not a must or golden rule that every other site should follow. A LOT of paid sites out there do show ads to their premium members.

By the way, I sometimes still buy hard copies of my local newspaper, even though I have already read all the news I want with their online edition. Reason? I need to read their ADS (esp. those big, whole-page ads) in order to know what's going on. Advertisement IS information.

rajen

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
domaintalk said:
Man as you can see you have just paid 1 time fee, not monthly and if they do not get much new members, then where will the server and bandwith money comes from. Google ads are there to get some more revenue and get the server costs and all and the membersrhips are as an profit.

I agree with domaintalk, we have paid a one time membership fee, but i think dnf guys require more to run this forum forever, i doubt if only our one time membership can support this forum. IMHO

They need recurring revenue to support this venture, pay salaries & earn money in general.

I mean its quite ok with me if they post google ads in between posts.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The only place that take ride of ads for paying is expert-exchange

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see why people are complaining about ads. The majority of us run sites and put ads on those sites to generate income, so why say something about another site whose doing the same no matter if you paid to become a member or not.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To be clear the only place you see adsense between posts is if you are a guest.

Login and they are only at the bottom, it's magic!

I find it rare for members to complain about what guests see.

-=DCG=-

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I say "did you see that red car?"

For the rest of the day, all you will see is red cars.

Sorry to say this Adam. I generally don't see any of the advertisements.

HOWEVER, there was one ad about 6 months ago that use to drive me nuts.
It was the banner for "BuyDomains.com"

Fortunately, that has gone away.

DNF needs a steedy stream of revenue to keep this site going.
If the ads help. That is great.

If you are a member of an exclusive country club. Generally, you are
required to spend add'l amount in the restaurant, Pro Shop, etc.
So, if DNF wants to have banners. Ok with me.

Furthermore, many of the DNF members also have advertisements in
their signature. Do you suggest we get rid of those?

Considering the bandwidth this site must use. And, the high profile nature of the
site which exposes the site to hackers. I think DNF does an excellent job
of keeping the site up.

(Will someone get some smelling sauce. I think Adam fainted. He is not use to me
saying complimentary things.)

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if ads are such a problem then there are many free software packages out there that can block ads :wink:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What can I say, the outpouring of support as usual has been great.

Thanks all!

-=DCG=-

chording

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Put yourself in Adam's shoes, then you'll probably be doing the same things to fund the high operating costs.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
Okay so the silver forums were deleted. Fine.
They were merged into Gold, not deleted. "Suggestions and Feedback" has stayed, Humor and Sports have become part of "Miscellaneous".
Sarcle said:
I paid to be a platinum member but gold members can post in platinum threads and advertise, unless the mods are missing something.
Wrong. Gold members can only reply, not start threads. This is common sense - we want more buyers.
Sarcle said:
I now see google ads in every single thread.....what is this?
This is a business, not a charity. Live with it.
Sarcle said:
Why are we as paying member's subjected to ads and jackasses on a newbie yet old forum?
You're a newbie - I'm being subjected to you: http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=95211&page=3&pp=15&highlight=egotist

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I would gladly pay an annual membership fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom