Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Which Laptop should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMEDIA

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Im looking for a new laptop, because I will be travelling for 3 months.

I know absolutely nada about laptops and hope you guys could point me in the right direction.

My requirements are very limited. No gaming, mainly just watching movies and browsing. It would be nice if it had a cool design like the iBooks.

I have checked the Sony VAIO and they seem pretty cool! Anyone recommend a serie and accesories?

Thanks,
Jonas

Domain Days 2024

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I cant suggest one, I searched for weeks for mine, and I really just picked it cause I was tired of comparing. Its just an hp, set to what I want. Since your traveling I would just suggest making battery life one of your specifications of interest and turn down the screen brightness to save battery life. Thats all the advice i gots.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go for DELL Latitute D 600, one of the best that i have dealt with.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Get a TABLET laptop. Way cool, just got one after seeing a guy with one at pubcon.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dell is the way to go I have found. Cheaper than just about everything else because you build to your specs and the quality has been great for me.

Just ordered a new desktop with 4GB of RAM from Dell to replace my laptop. :)

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently bought the Averatec 12.1" widescreen who specialize in featherweight laptops. The display is extraordinary - bright and very detailed. The reviews I read alluded to only one negative ... stiff keys. I found this true of the budget version with 512k RAM ... though not true of the slightly more expensive version with 1GB RAM. Runs on the AMD Turion (Dual Core processor), reads writes CD/DVD, built-in wireless, weighs only 4 pounds. Runs 4 hours on battery and charges to full capacity rapidly. Can be had for $900 at Staples.

Averatec website

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dell Latitude D 600/610 is definitely the way to go

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dell is the way to go I have found. Cheaper than just about everything else because you build to your specs and the quality has been great for me.

Just ordered a new desktop with 4GB of RAM from Dell to replace my laptop.

:eek:

Have you done any price comparisons lately? Dell charges so many markups and premiums its ridiculous. I ordered a new desktop also with 4 GB and the new Intel core 2 Quad from Gateway. Price checked with Dell, and you can add $3600 (there are a couple of other parts involved, but the same exact ones that dell offers were chosen, such as the ATI crossfire). Not to mention the huge delays you most likely run into. Do yourself a favor and cancel, before the order delayed emails start coming in. One of my orders was delayed for 4 weeks before the final email told me to simply cancel. That was the last time I shopped at Dell.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I fail to understand why people need 4GB of RAM .

For me personally:

1. When you are ordering 2 GB of RAM, upgrading from 2 to 4 isn't much more expensive (about 150-300$, depending on make).

2. No more upgrading in the future for most- sure windows XP, and media center aren't going to use all 4 GB (I think they max out at 2 each), but when Vista rolls around suddenly 4 GB will help cut down the bloatedness of the OS and help with all apps. Also, used for heavy editing programs. Some programs require a minimum of 2 GB with a recommended 4GB+ just to run 1 program.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I fail to understand why people need 4GB of RAM .

Dell was having a sale...the model I was buying had 2GB and upgrading to 4 only cost $120 (it's like $400 at regular price). I plan to use the computer for three years or so and I want to make sure it stays nice and fast for a long time.

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rarething is right, XP won't even use all 4Gb
On my designer's computer wich uses PhotoShop and Macromedia Flash most of the time,at the same time, the RAM is only at 60% max (2Gb).

Back to the topic, sure Dell and Toshiba make the best laptops, but I always liked HP - I have a HP laptop since 2004 and it still rocks!(yes, it was very expensive at that time)

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For casual computer work a mid-low end Dell or HP will do the job.

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my new hp is bumming me out, its nice and all, but I have 1 gig of ram and when i copy something from word processor or open something in word it freezes up this only happens for my word processing things everything else works dandy. i think thats a fluke though not a usual thing

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I shopped around when I bought my tablet PC 3 weeks ago.

Dell's prices are almost DOUBLE the going rate for similar computers. Great laptops are available for about $900.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dell's prices are almost DOUBLE the going rate for similar computers. Great laptops are available for about $900.

I sure wouldn't say that. I did a ton of research when buying my desktop. Sure, places like Best Buy had cheaper models with the same Processor and 2GB of RAM, but when you added on software, a warrenty, XP Pro, better video card, etc, the Dell models were almost always cheaper.

Our family has ordered several Dell computers over the last 5 years and they have all performed very well. Since so much of my life and business revolves around the computer, I'd rather spend a bit more and get a top quality product with the best features possible than purchase a lower quality machine.

leo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a hpPavilion and i must say i am in love with i!

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good small laptop? I have a 15" Acer ferrari 4005 but its a bit big to lug around and the battery life is not that great. I want to get a 11" laptop, been looking at the apple books but am worried about compatibility issues with web dev software.

Any ideas?

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good small laptop? I have a 15" Acer ferrari 4005 but its a bit big to lug around and the battery life is not that great. I want to get a 11" laptop, been looking at the apple books but am worried about compatibility issues with web dev software.

Any ideas?

Gateway is having an excellent sale at Circuit city. They have a 1 GB comp with AMD turion 64 for 650$ (fully loaded). Sony isn't bad, but very pricey, definitly more than the competition, if you want the blu-ray in there. Also, Acer has some nice stuff at CC these days as well. Go a little bigger than 11", maybe around 14".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom