Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Who are we ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I lost a Grandmother a couple days ago...and I knew the day before she was going to die the next day.

In 1974 I lost a Grandfather and I knew minutes before the phone rang with the news.

I am not "special" in this way..We all have heard of or know someone like this.

My grandmother was very special to me as a kid growing up..even though she lived 500 miles away..it was always a special treat to to take our yearly vacation down to Missouri and spend time with them.

She was 81 years old and had a good life..the last few years she was restricted to a nursing home as she had alzheimer's ..to the point she wore 3 watches , just in case one stopped she's say ;)

My grandfather was a railroad man...I remember waking up at 4:30 am most mornings on vacation and watching Grandma in her Robe scooting around the kitchen making grandpas breakfast and lunch...burning Grandpas toast..he liked it that way..burnt.. 4:30 am ... burnt toast , black coffee and his pipe...he'd give her squeeze as he headed out for 11 hour days on the rail yard.. and some little kid peaking out his darkened room to this wonderful scene lit up in the kitchen.. .. right out of damn Norman Rockwell..
some of the best memories of my life...

Time passess by and then ..

they head out the final door of this life..and we somehow get a message

..what are we that can know things before they happen?

Was a "signal, a message " sent ? and if so from where? from My grandmother? From "God" or possibly from within.. or from a collective consiousness...

or maybe this is deja vu
.. have we been where we are ? are we just seeing what we have already seen..what we have already lived..?

Just in a reflective mood and hope you all take a moment to wonder..wonder at the fact that you ARE..and that of all the creatures and beings..you are aware that you are aware...and thats so very very cool !

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
statistics and basic psychology are often better explanations for this phenomenon than ESP or PSI or whatever magical explanation is currently given. I bet that many times during your life, when you heard the phone ring, you thought "Oh know, a relative has died" but it turned out that it was incorrect. Since those times when you are wrong aren't interesting enough to stick in your memory, you only recall those times when you "correctly" predicted the event. This is called 'confirmation bias', where events that confirm our predictions stick in our brains, while events that dont confirm anything are quickly forgotten.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by draqon
statistics and basic psychology are often better explanations for this phenomenon than ESP or PSI or whatever magical explanation is currently given. I bet that many times during your life, when you heard the phone ring, you thought "Oh know, a relative has died" but it turned out that it was incorrect. Since those times when you are wrong aren't interesting enough to stick in your memory, you only recall those times when you "correctly" predicted the event. This is called 'confirmation bias', where events that confirm our predictions stick in our brains, while events that dont confirm anything are quickly forgotten.

Yes, I understand confirmation bias..but it goes beyond that...

I do agree we all also have those experiances..

but what is it when you know a day in advance ? and KNOW it will be tommorrow.. without any "advance" information?

some say intuition, a gut feeling , psychic ...all those labels..

It is real.. just trying to sort out what "it" is...

Where "it's" coming from......

I dont think it's any thing "spooky" ..I know it's real ...just trying to locate the source .. where that "information" is flowing from.. a time warping maybe ? I dont see how a collective consiouness could be the source..that still couldnt "see" tommorrow?

I'm really not off my rocker Dragon.. my feet are in solid contact with the earth.... and my guess is what ever it is..can be explaned in a scientific manner(someday).. and that it will be validated that these " occurences" are indeed very real...

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've experienced deja vu before. Its a strange feeling.

Also, many times I get the feeling that somethings going to happen, then it does. For example, I can sometimes sense the phone will ring, then seconds later it does.

RMF

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic.

As for me, I have not really experienced this. Deja vu occasionally, but I tend to think this should be expected with everyone. Only unique gift I've encountered is I can always tell when someone's approaching/and or about to open a door in a room. And no it's not a sound that triggers this feeling of awareness, it's more or less a chill.

Nothing special, like the predicting of important events. However I thought it was cool when I was younger, as I could feel a presence walking towards my room and or about to enter my room. So I would always put away my things early. This always 'came' in 'handy' (pun intended) for those special times as a teenager. ;)

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bidawinner, great thread! Sorry about your loss though. :(

I believe that we all have goofy 'intuitive' things that we as scientific adults blow off. But regarding feeling you grandmother's impending death, I have to agree with Dragon about your feelings. And I think I have proof..

If you really knew that she was going to die, and it wasn't a thought that you think of often enough to writeoff - mind me asking if you called her to say goodbye and tell her you love her? Heck, if you knew, why didn't you fly out to see her?

Again, I am not trying to diminish your feelings for your grandmother or your self-worth or anything - don't take it that way. And it might be that you are legitimately 'intuitive' to your family's and friend's feelings.

Just my take, being a cynical scientific adult myself. ;-)

Take care friend-
-WC-

debath

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bidawinner, firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. You have started a very interesting thread and it's nice to see other people responding with their thoughts.

While I have never taken too much notice of this, or given it a great deal of thought for that matter - my Mother lives up north from me (about 8 hours drive away) and it happens very often that the phone will ring and I just have a "feeling" that it's her - and it is. Also, the same thing happens to her when I ring.

I appreciate the other point made by dragon earlier - however, I would honestly say that 98% of the times I have thought she was the person ringing, it has been her. (BTW, we have a very close/good relationship.)

It has also happened with my sisters when we've been on close terms (lol) - that's not to say we're not now, but there have been times when we haven't spoken for a few months because of some blow-out and then we knew it wasn't one of us on the other end of the phone! :)

Anyone else?

mastmnds

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont really like this topic because I dont want to think about death lol. Makes me upset :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom