Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Who is Best Registrar for Trademark / Sensitive Domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dntraveler

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a few great names at Godaddy that could be construed as typos of trademarks. I have heard horror stories of Godaddy appropriating questionable names at the drop of a hat, without even extending the registrant the courtesy of disputing the claim, so I need to transfer these names off Godaddy ASAP.

My question to the group is: what is the best / safest registrar for ‘sensitive’ names?

My thought process so far is:

1) I'd like to get a reputable non-USA registrar because it’s probably less likely that USA based firms will go after a name if the registrar is outside the USA.

2) The registrar needs to offer a privacy protection service.

3) The one I was planning to go with is Answerable. I can’t really tell for sure, because they seem to have a labyrinthine ownership structure, but they seem to be out of India and have a privacy service coming out of the Netherlands. I have some names there that I won on Snapnames, and have been happy with them, and its pretty cheap, so that seems the best. (The only problem with them is that their privacy service is so good (perhaps this means its bad) that virtually nobody can contact you, i.e. a new parking service trying to verify domain name ownership. If they had this fixed it’d be a no-brainer.)

4) I was also considering Fabulous and NameScout, but neither of them have privacy services. (NameScout has email privacy, but I need more than that.)

Any input or thoughts on who the best registrar is for this is? Anything bad about Answerable that I should know about?

Thanks

dntraveler

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes, directi.com is the parent company of Answerable

WebsiteTraders.Com

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
can u please explain what id directi.com ............is it an ICANN accredited registrar?..........did quite a lot of googling but its very much confusing.......even on their website.......

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are a few things to consider:
  • All accredited registrars are bound by UDRP
  • In the event of UDRP or legal action the registrar will lift the whois privacy

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a few great names at Godaddy that could be construed as typos of trademarks.

I just love how people try to minimize things.

Basically, you are squatting on names and want to make it as hard as possible to lose then agaisnt a challenge :lol:

If these are .coms or .nets, the registry is in the US, so it won't matter where you register them, jurisdiction would be the US. With ccTLDS, many can sieze domains at a whim. Just research and learn the TOS for each extension.

Crown

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a few great names at Godaddy that could be construed as typos of trademarks. I have heard horror stories of Godaddy appropriating questionable names at the drop of a hat, without even extending the registrant the courtesy of disputing the claim, so I need to transfer these names off Godaddy ASAP.

My question to the group is: what is the best / safest registrar for ‘sensitive’ names?

My thought process so far is:

1) I'd like to get a reputable non-USA registrar because it’s probably less likely that USA based firms will go after a name if the registrar is outside the USA.

2) The registrar needs to offer a privacy protection service.

3) The one I was planning to go with is Answerable. I can’t really tell for sure, because they seem to have a labyrinthine ownership structure, but they seem to be out of India and have a privacy service coming out of the Netherlands. I have some names there that I won on Snapnames, and have been happy with them, and its pretty cheap, so that seems the best. (The only problem with them is that their privacy service is so good (perhaps this means its bad) that virtually nobody can contact you, i.e. a new parking service trying to verify domain name ownership. If they had this fixed it’d be a no-brainer.)

4) I was also considering Fabulous and NameScout, but neither of them have privacy services. (NameScout has email privacy, but I need more than that.)

Any input or thoughts on who the best registrar is for this is? Anything bad about Answerable that I should know about?

Thanks

Make sure you ask the privacy protection department EXACTLY how much they charge if they get a letter from an attorney. For instance, Domainsbyproxy charges you if they receive emails or faxes from an attorney. Just got one the other day and along with it a $20 bill for them to "handle" it. There is no way to turn off that option so you are basically at the peril of any attorney that wants to mess with you. Other privacy companies can charge even more and its mostly always based on the time they spent doing the work of processing the letter(s).

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just love how people try to minimize things.

Basically, you are squatting on names and want to make it as hard as possible to lose then agaisnt a challenge :lol:

He felt comfortable enough to ask the question here, what does that say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom