Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Who owns NameBio.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike, We have fixed the issue you brought up immediately and still waiting to hear back from Sedo why their data is reporting inaccurate sales. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I understand how a person claiming you didn't send the emails might frustrate you but please be aware that what I said was "I have not received any emails from you".

I think you can clearly see now that when I am in receipt of a message that I respond promptly and professionally.

I would appreciate anyone else who finds any oddity or problems with the site to bring it to my attention. I don't hang out here much but I am happy to help now that the form on Namebio is coming directly to me it's best to reach me there . Thanks

While I do appreciate you are a "respected member" of the domain community and that you finally did remove the domain in question. It was not immediately, it was over a month already and that is after posting publicly on here and NP (which I didn't want to / don't like to do, but it had to be done) I was not the only person having this problem, nor was I the only one trying to contact you.

I am just curious as to where the emails were going and how you didn't notice this earlier. I have a few sites that I am sure don't get nearly as much traffic as yours and I would notice if my contact forms weren't working right away. Sorry if I don't seem incredibly sincere about the fact that you were neglecting your site, because I am not, the information being reported on your site killed two deals this month for me, I don't think you would be happy either if you were in my position.

Anyways, good to hear your forms are working properly now and that you will be updating the site.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While I do appreciate you are a "respected member" of the domain community and that you finally did remove the domain in question. It was not immediately, it was over a month already and that is after posting publicly on here and NP (which I didn't want to / don't like to do, but it had to be done) I was not the only person having this problem, nor was I the only one trying to contact you.

The day I got notice of this problem, it was resolved in a matter of minutes. I am open to fixing all complaints. I don't follow every forum, so combined with not receiving the original emails, the resolution may have been delayed beyond what you expected.

I am just curious as to where the emails were going and how you didn't notice this earlier. I have a few sites that I am sure don't get nearly as much traffic as yours and I would notice if my contact forms weren't working right away. Sorry if I don't seem incredibly sincere about the fact that you were neglecting your site, because I am not, the information being reported on your site killed two deals this month for me, I don't think you would be happy either if you were in my position. Anyways, good to hear your forms are working properly now and that you will be updating the site.

The emails from the contact form were going in to the abyss since the coder had a typo . With regards to your email that you sent to me directly, I have yet to figure that out.

We have owned the site for a number of years and haven't seen a lot of emails or contact form use, as there have not been any issues until recently, so we wouldn't miss the form being down.

The site relies heavily on publicly recorded information from trusted sources.These trusted sources have been put on notice about the bad data and I personally have been communicating with all affected parties. It is a free resource, with no ads and no source of revenue or income. It is a labor of love that I bought and continue to put my time and energy in to in order to provide a valuable resource of information. It absolutely bothers me when data is inaccurately reported.

If you find there is a better way for me to conduct my business and run this free resource, I'm very open to suggestions. It seems a bit far fetched to me, but I am flattered to hear that people rely on our data so heavily that it kills deals. It's very flattering but makes my job of insuring accuracy from our sources more important.

May I ask what 2 deals we killed and how those deals were killed ?

D

Deleted member 70408

I am just curious as to where the emails were going and how you didn't notice this earlier. I have a few sites that I am sure don't get nearly as much traffic as yours and I would notice if my contact forms weren't working right away. Sorry if I don't seem incredibly sincere about the fact that you were neglecting your site, because I am not, the information being reported on your site killed two deals this month for me, I don't think you would be happy either if you were in my position.

Anyways, good to hear your forms are working properly now and that you will be updating the site.

When you didn't get an email back in response, why didn't you call? The phone number is listed on the Whois, and I bet you would have received a reply that way if your email got filtered as junk and/or wasn't received for some other reason. Some people take very long vacations in the summer, and the phone is the best way to reach them.

Anyway, here's a free bit of negotiation advice...

If someone says, "I'm not paying $x for xyz.info because I saw it listed as sold on Namebio for $x." You can reply in one of two ways:

"The info on Namebio is wrong, and you can confirm that I've owned this name for x years by using DomainTools Historical Whois information."

OR you can say

"The price I paid for the domain name doesn't matter. This is the price I have set for the domain name, and if you don't want to purchase it, find another domain name. Alternatively, you can build a time machine, travel back in time and register this domain name for a lot less. Time machines are expensive though, so that may not be such a great idea."

Out of curiosity, what is the domain name you're making such a fuss about?

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The day I got notice of this problem, it was resolved in a matter of minutes. I am open to fixing all complaints. I don't follow every forum, so combined with not receiving the original emails, the resolution may have been delayed beyond what you expected.

This is true. Not trying to debate you on this.

If you find there is a better way for me to conduct my business and run this free resource, I'm very open to suggestions. It seems a bit far fetched to me, but I am flattered to hear that people rely on our data so heavily that it kills deals. It's very flattering but makes my job of insuring accuracy from our sources more important.

Seriously? You know there is a reason for your site. People go there to check prices on sales. What they see there they want to pay. I am not saying this is everyone, but 99% of people because they have no business sense.

EJS said:
When you didn't get an email back in response, why didn't you call? The phone number is listed on the Whois, and I bet you would have received a reply that way if your email got filtered as junk and/or wasn't received for some other reason. Some people take very long vacations in the summer, and the phone is the best way to reach them.

Any site should have a working contact form, or emails / phone numbers on the site. I shouldn't have to go to their whois to find a working email (even though I did) or a phone number to contact them. I figured after the four emails I sent they would take it down, considering dnsalesprice.com took it down after the first email I sent them and BTW, I don't see any advertisements on their site either.

EJS said:
Anyway, here's a free bit of negotiation advice...

Out of curiosity, what is the domain name you're making such a fuss about?

While I appreciate your negotiation advice, you should know, not everyone has business sense. Everyone wants everything for "wholesale" if not below "wholesale". It's much easier to work out a deal without having to explain to them that a website is reporting false information, because now they are trying to push down the price way too low, especially domainers/resellers, which is who I was dealing with.

Maybe you have not been reading the thread, but I am not making a "fuss" about a domain, I am making a "fuss" about not being able to get a hold of the owner of a website that happened to have false information published on his site.

I do not wish to disclose the domain on this thread, nor do I care to make it public. Strong knows what domain it is, he is the only one that needed to know and he has rectified the situation and that is all that matters at this point.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is true. Not trying to debate you on this.

I've come here to solve a problem not to debate anything, so I think my work here is done. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Seriously? You know there is a reason for your site. People go there to check prices on sales. What they see there they want to pay. I am not saying this is everyone, but 99% of people because they have no business sense.

I've had a little feedback on what people use the data for and I have my own use. I'd love to hear more of this really.
I've done a lot of domain business and I've yet to have an encounter where anyone cited Namebio or DNSalePrice or even dnjournal. I don't sell to domainers though so that might be a difference on why I've never encountered the issue. Happy to hear your incites in this regard.

I'd also still like to know more about the 2 deals we ruined for you. It appears you've listed the name in question a half dozen times here. Can you tell me how exactly the info from namebio was used to kill the deal ? It's a pretty big accusation and not one I'm pleased to hear about but the more I know about what was said and how the data was used to kill the deals the easier it is for me to try and help stop that problem in the future.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd also still like to know more about the 2 deals we ruined for you. It appears you've listed the name in question a half dozen times here. Can you tell me how exactly the info from namebio was used to kill the deal ? It's a pretty big accusation and not one I'm pleased to hear about but the more I know about what was said and how the data was used to kill the deals the easier it is for me to try and help stop that problem in the future.

Your question was already answered here.

zurc.net said:
While I appreciate your negotiation advice, you should know, not everyone has business sense. Everyone wants everything for "wholesale" if not below "wholesale". It's much easier to work out a deal without having to explain to them that a website is reporting false information, because now they are trying to push down the price way too low, especially domainers/resellers, which is who I was dealing with.

Can I ask you a question? What is the purpose of your site? I thought I knew what it was, but it seems like I am missing something here, so I am hoping you can clear that up for me.

vincedia

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The bigger concern is that SEDO is mis-reporting this information. Has anyone (besides Strongvis) contacted SEDO to see why this was being reported in error?
Are they still reporting this in error?

If Nambio.com, DNSalesPrice.com, and DNjournal.com rely on reporting from SEDO recent sales, and if that can't be trusted, won't it ruin whatever reason historical pricing services have to exist?
I collect historical sales information from a number of sources including SEDO recent sales, so my database with your name and fictitious sale are in that DB. So, if I see your name for sale on DNF, I will be using bad information for valuation purposes. How many others collect this information from the same bad source? How can we correct that bad information source?

This should be more on SEDO than Namebio.com or DNSalesPrice.com.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your question was already answered here.
Not really in detail of what the buyer said etc, please feel free to PM if you want to solve this issue. If not, I understand.

Can I ask you a question? What is the purpose of your site? I thought I knew what it was, but it seems like I am missing something here, so I am hoping you can clear that up for me.

We provide a searchable database of domain sales history. I know the sales data is used in a variety of ways like domain sales comparisons. People have used it to create appraisal systems, track certain keywords or types of domains, etc. Everyone uses it differently. Data is like that.

I personally use it to see what types of domains are selling now to stay up to date. It's the same reason I read DNJournal's sales page. It helps me keep abreast on the market, just like reading any financial/trading reports.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
A drop that I purchased for $2500 on Pool.com appeared in DNJournal, I didn't know it until I entered into negotiations with a potential buyer, he wrote me and cited the link on DNJ and the price I paid, I was pretty upset at DNJ but what do you do?, I wrote him back and told him I'm in the business of making a profit, the same way a business buys a 50 cent part wholesale from China and sells it for $50 retail. With all the haggling back and forth, he bought the name, but it made negotiations difficult. I've had this happen on other domains as well.... But in every instance I was able to sell the name, I may of lost money, but I never lost the sale.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, if I see your name for sale on DNF, I will be using bad information for valuation purposes. How many others collect this information from the same bad source? How can we correct that bad information source?

This should be more on SEDO than Namebio.com or DNSalesPrice.com.

I agree

I have not seen this answer...please direct me to it.

It's there, I just provided it again, if your looking for something else, you won't find it.

Not really in detail of what the buyer said etc, please feel free to PM if you want to solve this issue. If not, I understand.

We provide a searchable database of domain sales history. I know the sales data is used in a variety of ways like domain sales comparisons. People have used it to create appraisal systems, track certain keywords or types of domains, etc. Everyone uses it differently. Data is like that.

I personally use it to see what types of domains are selling now to stay up to date. It's the same reason I read DNJournal's sales page. It helps me keep abreast on the market, just like reading any financial/trading reports.

The issue is resolved as far as I am concerned, later then I would of liked, but it's resolved.

Thank you for reassuring me of the use of your site.

A drop that I purchased for $2500 on Pool.com appeared in DNJournal, I didn't know it until I entered into negotiations with a potential buyer, he wrote me and cited the link on DNJ and the price I paid, I was pretty upset at DNJ but what do you do?, I wrote him back and told him I'm in the business of making a profit, the same way a business buys a 50 cent part wholesale from China and sells it for $50 retail. With all the haggling back and forth, he bought the name, but it made negotiations difficult. I've had this happen on other domains as well.... But in every instance I was able to sell the name, I may of lost money, but I never lost the sale.

Exactly, but the buyers I was dealing with were too caught up on the false price being reported by NameBio (and Sedo) and negotiations went from xxxx, to mid xxx. Maybe the fact that the deals didn't go through showed the buyers were not serious, but I can't help think they if that false sales prices wasn't being reported, I wouldn't of ran into these issues.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's interesting (and reassuring) that end users are doing research/due diligence before buying domain names. After all nobody wants to buy domains that could be stolen or have a less than honorable history.

While it is unfortunate that the availability of reported sales can kill a deal sometimes, I think public sales data is not only useful but essential.
It provides a clearer picture of the market as a whole (the tip of the iceberg that is) and serves as a rough guide as to the current valuation of domain names (remember that's what people are actually paying for domain names). At least end users cannot ignore that quality domains are in demand and sell for good money. This is good for domain sellers too, as it helps adjust your expectations realistically.

If a company doesn't want to pay the fair price for a name that you got at wholesale price that is childish but it's their loss too.

All in one I think the benefits of public sales data more than offset the drawbacks but obviously accurate sales data is essential.
There is one thing I have noticed on DNJ/Sedo more than once, is that long domain names seem to be truncated sometimes, for example .co domains were reported sold when it was actually .com ;)
Since even DNJ has mistakes sometimes you can imagine automated aggregators are even less reliable.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Typos happen everywhere.
Apparently, all of this started with a mis-type from Sedo.
Crap happens.

I feel you pain about requiring accurate sales information considering
the monthly fee we all have to pay for NameBio, DNSales and DNF which is outrageous.

The internet is full of inaccurate information.

Also remember, the data posted on those expensive sites is only a partial amount sold weekly.
Generally, higher the amount of the sale usually carries a Non-Disclosure agreement.

And, then there are the super bargains sold by Sedo or NameMedia to flippers that demand
Non-Disclosure so they can easily resell it quickly.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Typos happen everywhere.

I feel you pain about requiring accurate sales information considering
the monthly fee we all have to pay for NameBio, DNSales and DNF which is outrageous.

See !!!

I meant to type DNJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom