Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why do Mods close threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started a thread here to get info - why was it closed? Just because someone posted in "suggestions and feedback" does not make my thread a dupe - who looks there for answers to questions? Not me - because it is for "suggestions and feedback" - not a place to ask questions.

I know you Mods are power hungry - but being nasty to us members is NOT a good business practice - it is down right RUDE and I expect to be treated with respect - not like some scum off a local pond.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by LewR

I know you Mods are power hungry - but being nasty to us members is NOT a good business practice - it is down right RUDE and I expect to be treated with respect - not like some scum off a local pond.

No one was being nasty or power hungry. The thread was closed by a mod, and a redirect was posted where you would find the answer to your question, and could continue the conversation.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, Lew! It's interesting that you accuse someone else of being rude, by doing so yourself.

I have never been rude to you, or nasty to anyone at DNForum! I am neither power hungry, nor do I treat any member here with anything but respect.

All the mods at DNF are trying our level best to do a sometimes thankless job.

As to people being rude, you might want to take a quick look in the mirror.

Respectfully,
WebCat

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains,

It was still rude, this is the lounge - not the suggestions and feedback area. My question was posted here as it was appropriate.

I feel like I am in communisit china when I cannot speak freely without being censored and stifled.

Sheeeesh,

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WebCat - you locked my thread and my thread was NOT out of line or out of context - I consider that rude.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WebCat - you locked my thread and my thread was NOT out of line or out of context - I consider that rude.

Lew, since I don't know which thread you are referring to, I cannot answer you- except to ask- is the cop who gives you a ticket rude? Or the doctor who tells you you need an operation? How about the dog-catcher who picks up your escaped pooch?

Each of them is only doing their job. You may not agree with their decisions, but it's a pretty big leap to accuse them of being rude because of doing what they are assigned to do. It your decision to take those things personally or not.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry webcat - it was Mr webname - missed that point as you attacked like it was you who actually locked the thread - I guess you are just touchy about such allegations.

An there was no warning - just a judgement call - with no option of dispute - like you have when a cop gives you a ticket or your doc says you need an operation....

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way - I posted my question - the other thread was started about half an hour later - and my thread is locked as a duplicate....

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started a thread here to get info - why was it closed? Just because someone posted in "suggestions and feedback" does not make my thread a dupe - who looks there for answers to questions? Not me - because it is for "suggestions and feedback" - not a place to ask questions.

To answer your queries:

- "Suggestion and Feedback" IS the right place to ask questions about DNForum.

- Closing duplicates is more an organizational routine and has nothing to do with power; it's their job as mods! Just imagine having a dozen threads out there talking about the same thing and people responding here and there.

- Personally, I have posts closed, merged and/or redirected to another similar threads both here and in other forums. I don't find that disrespectful.

Hope this helps.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry webcat - it was Mr webname - missed that point as you attacked like it was you who actually locked the thread - I guess you are just touchy about such allegations.

An there was no warning - just a judgement call - with no option of dispute - like you have when a cop gives you a ticket or your doc says you need an operation....
Lew.... no harm done. And you're right, I am always on guard to protect my (and other's) reputations against false allegations.

So...... did you try sending a PM to MrWebname? You know, just like me, he ALSO looks like Brad Pit! People are always getting us confused, LOL!

You know Lew, we are just people, just like you. We have brains, and feelings and families and real lives out there. Try talking, communicating, not shouting and casting mud far and wide. It actually works much better, and helps us all stay friends!

Peace!
WebCat
/\_/\
(0 0) Evil Kitty!
>^<
\__/

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way - I posted my question - the other thread was started about half an hour later - and my thread is locked as a duplicate....
There are actually quite a number of variables that we need to consider:

- Are they in the right forum?
- Which generates more useful responses or attention?
- and yes, which started earlier? But that is not necessarily the only criterion.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Platinum Lounge
This is a private forum available to Platinum and Exclusive members to discuss anything you wish.
----------------------------------------------------

I guess I don't understand this heading - that was my big mistake.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since the accusation is aimed at me I will endeavour to explain now that I am back at my PC.
A number of similar threads were posted concerning the AIS-CEO debacle including yours LewR, and yours addressed the question of DNForum's Paypal account allegedly being closed, asking for information about the allegation.

In another similar thread DCG answered the issue about the Paypal account, showing that it was a lie and giving some further information. Since you asked the question that was answered elsewhere by the person who was best placed to answer it, I both quoted the answer and posted a redirect to the thread, closing yours, which was a duplication by reason of the answer to it and other matters being given elsewhere.

Mods are called upon to make judgement calls on various issues in connection with this Board, in my case sometimes I believe I make a right call and sometimes I believe I've made a mistake. When I make a mistake I apologise, not by PM but publicly in the thread, as I have done several times - when I'm not sure about an issue I ask others, and sometimes this has led to a clarification for all. I do not believe I made a mistake with your thread.

I am not rude LewR, you do not know me and we have never met, you are not able to make such judgments as to my character and personality. As for power-hungry - I'm way past the need for that, my pleasure comes from much more important things in life than ramblings on a computer screen.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me simply state that I was offended. The action taken - closing a thread I opened in a Platinum lounge - in favor of one opened in a Gold "Suggestions and Feedback" thread that was opened a HALF HOUR LATER is, in my opinion, Rude. I didn't say you can't do it - you can (and did). That does not make it any less rude.

Now that I understand how you feel about us in the membership posting, I will act accordingly.

BTW - You should change the tag line that accompanies the Platinum Lounge entry link. Is is NOT factual, as we are NOT allowed to do as it states.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
I agree with LewR - In a minute they will close this thread LOL
It's hard to believe you used to be a moderator :dead:

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

It's hard to believe you used to be a moderator :dead:

Now THAT was a low blow !! - LOL

I laugh and think of the expression "Those who can - do, those who can't - teach" and take it a step further....

It most likely would benefit the site if management was pro active and not reactive when this email shit hits the fan - a post should be made with factual information ASAP. As a member, I should not have to ask, I should be able to find my answer waiting for me (and I looked for it first...).

But - it is like beating a dead horse - it gets you no where because the end is already determined.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lewr,

I take no exception with your request for comments from management.

If their was any truth to it, I would have posted.

Anyone can make any claim they want, bottom line is I won't respond to any rumors that are false, that only contributes to the nonsense.

-=DCG=-

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mod spelled backwards is Dom, as in domination. They contribute to the chaos, and answer to nobody. It would be nice, if they close/delete a thread, that they would post the reason as the last post. They also make mistakes, as they are hoomon beans too.

I agree with Lew about the "discuss anything you want" discrepency . What it really means is, discuss anything you want as long as the mods, or a mod, has the same ideologies as you. That means we can, without being disrespectful, discuss our misgivings about the mods imperfections, and , if the mods think that they are perfect, then they canl close our thread. Now, I honestly believe that 98 percent of the time the mods truly believe they are doing the right thing. Power hungry. Nah. I dont see how they could get a fix or any gratitude out of closing a thread unless they were in the middle of a heated debate about something and they were losing. And that will never happen because they will close the thread long before it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom