Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why do people still use GoDaddy? (serious inquiry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, if I want to sell my names at GD I have to pay the $4.99 yearly fee for GoDaddy auctions? Is this what allows me to set up a "free" premium listing?

No, if you wnat to sell in premium listings, that is free.

Go to the domain manager, select domains you want to add, select cash in on the menu bar and select premium listings.

It is FREE!

That's it!

-=DCG=-

andyb

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
for years I have avoided them as a collegue had a bad time with them but i was just forced to use them for domain push. I have to say I like their domain reg system and probably will continue to use it for domain reg only

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, if you wnat to sell in premium listings, that is free.

Go to the domain manager, select domains you want to add, select cash in on the menu bar and select premium listings.

It is FREE!

That's it!

-=DCG=-

Cool, thanks for the information!

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That process is being fixed, I'll try and push it through for you. Please PM me the details.

-=DCG=-

So is godaddy collecting the funds on behalf of the buyer for all sales now? Previously (at least at tdnam) anything over a certain amount ($500 was it?) went to escrow.com.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats. My enthusiasm for this sale is tempered somewhat by finding out that I will be paid "within 45 days after the end of the month in which the domain is sold". So my domain sold on November 11th, but I may not see the money until the middle of January. Hmm.
FYI, I got the check in the mail today - just in time to boost my 2009 earnings! :)

So payment wasn't exactly fast, but at least I didn't have to wait until mid-January.

kspd

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hate the UI at godaddy... But I rarely have to see it.
I have a friend who works there.. I tell him what I need done via text message and it gets done.
If there is a problem, he solves it.
It works out well for me, I also like the prices and discounts.

havlock

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone who wants a dedicated account manager should pm me with their shopper id and email and I will get you one.

-=DCG=-

I've had a GoDaddy dedicated executive account for about 2 years now, and it was overall great support I must say. Today I call my account rep with a small inquiry on my account, to be told that I no longer have an executive account. I have about 120 domains with GD, but they say they have recently changed the executive accounts requiring now 300+ domains and that I do not have enough domains to qualify anymore. Nobody at GD bothered to inform me of this at all.

I actually really liked being with GD the last couple of years, it was finally pleasant and assuring to be able to contact the same person each time I had an issue or question on my domains or my account. It really made keeping my business with GD comfortable.

Now of course when I spoke to them on the phone I was being given the sell on the discount club and to think about acquiring more domains. Plus after leaving 3 messages for my previous account rep, with questions regarding the domain transfer protection which was in place before, of course I get no responses or return calls from him now. I have to assume that my domain transfer protection is no longer in place based on what I am able to gather from the general support.

Now it seems that I am back to getting caught up in the loop of not being able to talk to the same person, as well as the overall knowledge seem far inferior, and the previous support reps not having recorded any or at least the proper 'notes' on my account and having to explain myself over and over.

It's a real shame as I was really begining to have faith in GD and have been recommending them to friends, colleagues and family quite a bit over the last couple of years. Now I feel a little naked and like I need to start looking elsewhere possibly for a reliable and trustworthy registrar and host again.

I guess this is a typical example of one of the big boys getting so big that they only want to deal with other major domain holders and those of us with less than the magic number of 300 domains just really don't count as much anymore. It really is a tragic shame.

Any chance you can still provide assistance or connect me with a dedicated account manager Adam?

Thanks
Joey

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy only accepts .com for their "premium" listings? Not smart.

demaxxus

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A bit of a follow-up to this, and the reason I'm completely done with GoDaddy.

I bought a domain from someone on one of the domain forums, and months later, after the transaction was successful and the domain had been mine for quite some time, I got an email from GoDaddy saying that there was a problem with the previous owner's initial registration, and that I'd have to pay for the registration again if I wanted to keep the domain. Less than two hours later, before I'd even seen the first email, I received another one saying that they had taken the domain. I emailed them numerous times, and paying for the registration again was the only solution they gave me. I asked for the issue to be escalated to a manager, and I didn't hear from them again.

After everything I've read, heard, and experienced, I don't know why any serious domainer would use them. Unless you're just getting a domain pushed to a temporary GoDaddy account, there's just no reason to use a registrar that does crap like this.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who is still very much a newbie, and also someone who used an Underwood typewriter when she first started work, I find GoDaddy and its account manager arrangement brilliant. Any little problems I've had have been ironed out almost instantly. With such a large organisation there are bound to be some dissatisfied customers when issues fall through the cracks, but this is surely not deliberate.

demaxxus

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find GoDaddy and its account manager arrangement brilliant

I've heard that having a personal account manager there changes things considerably, however for me personally, that would never compensate for the ton of other problems they have.

The bottom line is, if a registrar can steal my domains and the only recourse I have is to pay them a ransom, I'm never using that registrar again. There are so many registrars out there, it's not worth using someone that's eventually going to screw you over if you're with them long enough. And trust me, they WILL screw you over.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've heard that having a personal account manager there changes things considerably, however for me personally, that would never compensate for the ton of other problems they have.

The bottom line is, if a registrar can steal my domains and the only recourse I have is to pay them a ransom, I'm never using that registrar again. There are so many registrars out there, it's not worth using someone that's eventually going to screw you over if you're with them long enough. And trust me, they WILL screw you over.

Of course. We must all speak as we find. :)

domainer111

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a premium listing of a domain for sale, and a listing in the auction?

Big fan of godaddy by the way. But they can improve things. For example, please lose the free .info thing! I had to stop regging with godaddy because this damn thing would not go away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom