Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why does GoDaddy shenanigan us when we transfer names out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:disappointed:

:?:

:upset:

Many of us already know about this...

----When transferring a name out of GoDaddy, the servers sometimes resolve to GoDaddy parked servers upon completion of transfer to the new registrar (All profit taken by GD) GD seems to be in a league all by themselves regarding this anomaly.----

I'd love to hear the explanation from GoDaddy

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy does this in other ways too. When i buy names in bulk, for some reason a few will 'accidentally' get set to godaddy parking instead of my default dns. Its only once in awhile. So its seems odd; its not the why group in a batch buy, just a few.

What makes it worse, and this really bugs me, is there is no way to use the godaddy Advances search tool to say 'show me all my domains with just godaddy servers'. You have to do it one by one, and they have a lot. Its a pain.

If you add all these things up it would seem that godaddy wants this to happen, and if so that is really bad.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You should come to under stand godaddy is out to make money, and these small things save everyone money over the long run. I have always found good codes, to save regging and renewing domains and every else should be as well.

Now if you get a full service place, you'll pay lots more on everything. Surely people under stand going in godaddy, is going to try and make money where they can, and this is one way they do that. I under stand this and have never been let down by godaddy, and saved lots of money with my domains there, so it easy make up for this stuff for me.

nicedomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey who doesn't want to make extra money from others laziness/domain defaults?

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey who doesn't want to make extra money from others laziness/domain defaults?

It's not about laziness. It is about ethical business.

When transferring a name away from GoDaddy - you would expect the DNS to remain the same right? (The DNS sometimes remains on the DNS settings you were using)

But why the bleep does GoDaddy kick the servers to their parking after the transfer is made?

It shouldn't be the responsibility of ours to make sure the freakin dns is the way we left it rather than on a parked page for GoDaddy.

If there should be a default DNS change - should it not be to the registrar gaining, not losing?

Bottomline: GoDaddy ought to make an explanation as to what 'glitch' or 'logic' or 'reason' this happens, as far as I know the only company that does this deceitful tactic upon losing to another registrar is GoDaddy.

You should come to under stand godaddy is out to make money, and these small things save everyone money over the long run. I have always found good codes, to save regging and renewing domains and every else should be as well.

Now if you get a full service place, you'll pay lots more on everything. Surely people under stand going in godaddy, is going to try and make money where they can, and this is one way they do that. I under stand this and have never been let down by godaddy, and saved lots of money with my domains there, so it easy make up for this stuff for me.

Fabulous is 1,000 times better.

Godaddy does this in other ways too. When i buy names in bulk, for some reason a few will 'accidentally' get set to godaddy parking instead of my default dns. Its only once in awhile. So its seems odd; its not the why group in a batch buy, just a few.

What makes it worse, and this really bugs me, is there is no way to use the godaddy Advances search tool to say 'show me all my domains with just godaddy servers'. You have to do it one by one, and they have a lot. Its a pain.

If you add all these things up it would seem that godaddy wants this to happen, and if so that is really bad.

Exactly.

A real pain in the you know what for those transferring dozens of names to a registrar where renewals are always $7.xx without having to fish for a code..

Last edited:

HarveyJ

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It may be a pain, but you know what, it's your business, so it IS your responsibility to make sure that your business is still running smoothly when you transfer things over.

It's like changing the building you lease as a corporate HQ, and then asking your realtor to arrange the transport, and to expect them not to screw something up.
You'd have to be an idiot not to do an inventory check when you arrived in the new place.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It may be a pain, but you know what, it's your business, so it IS your responsibility to make sure that your business is still running smoothly when you transfer things over.

It's like changing the building you lease as a corporate HQ, and then asking your realtor to arrange the transport, and to expect them not to screw something up.
You'd have to be an idiot not to do an inventory check when you arrived in the new place.

True,

But why is GD the only registrar doing this?

How fun is it for someone who transfers 500 names out, has to go through each one and individually change the servers back to the way they were on 156 of them? Takes maybe what, all of 90 minutes?

90 minutes that never should have been tied up.

Has anyone ever caught any other registrars flipping the DNS to their parking when transferring names out?

Go Daddy

GoDaddy.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I don't know about the DNS issue but can look into it if you would like to PM further info. But I do have some info for you all in response to "What makes it worse, and this really bugs me, is there is no way to use the godaddy Advances search tool to say 'show me all my domains with just godaddy servers'. You have to do it one by one, and they have a lot. Its a pain."

There are three options that might make life easier for you:

1. In the Domain Manager, on the left hand column, click the grey SEARCH button and then towards the bottom of that column, click SHOW ADVANCED SEARCH OPTIONS. You can search by nameserver there, but currently you would have to type in the full nameserver eg "NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM" Because of your post, I submitted a request so that you could search just by "DOMAINCONTROL.COM" instead.

2. In the Domain Manager, there are 4 tabs up top. One says TOOLS. Hover your mouse over that and click CUSTOMIZE ALL MY DOMAINS GRID. Then you can click and drag "Nameservers" into the Column Heading Order. That's useful, but it's not searchable.

3. In the Domain Manager, there are 4 tabs up top. One says TOOLS. Hover your mouse over that and click EXPORTABLE LIST. You can create an export of nameservers, forwarding, creation date, hosts, and more.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I don't know about the DNS issue but can look into it if you would like to PM further info. But I do have some info for you all in response to "What makes it worse, and this really bugs me, is there is no way to use the godaddy Advances search tool to say 'show me all my domains with just godaddy servers'. You have to do it one by one, and they have a lot. Its a pain."

There are three options that might make life easier for you:

1. In the Domain Manager, on the left hand column, click the grey SEARCH button and then towards the bottom of that column, click SHOW ADVANCED SEARCH OPTIONS. You can search by nameserver there, but currently you would have to type in the full nameserver eg "NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM" Because of your post, I submitted a request so that you could search just by "DOMAINCONTROL.COM" instead.

2. In the Domain Manager, there are 4 tabs up top. One says TOOLS. Hover your mouse over that and click CUSTOMIZE ALL MY DOMAINS GRID. Then you can click and drag "Nameservers" into the Column Heading Order. That's useful, but it's not searchable.

3. In the Domain Manager, there are 4 tabs up top. One says TOOLS. Hover your mouse over that and click EXPORTABLE LIST. You can create an export of nameservers, forwarding, creation date, hosts, and more.

Thanks for the info.

The question remains:

Why is GoDaddy the only registrar kicking names transferred elsewhere onto their own parking servers upon completion of transfer?

Is it always going to be this way?

Go Daddy

GoDaddy.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't more clear in the last post, I'm not aware of a DNS issue on transfers but can look into it if you would like to PM further info like example domains, account info, etc :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another issue I sometimes have with both GD and this week with WildWest reseller is the email with the transfer auth code somtimes never arrives.

I submitted the form to have it sent numerous times on a WW domain over past week to no avail. No it is not in my spam folder and my email addr is valid, as supt claims may be happening. Anyone know other ways to get the auth codes? Thet will not give it on the phone saying it is 100% automated. This is very frustrating when I want to transfer away due to consolidation.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't more clear in the last post, I'm not aware of a DNS issue on transfers but can look into it if you would like to PM further info like example domains, account info, etc :)

Godaddy is clearly promoting its parking efforts at the expense of customers.

I know dns can take some time to propogate but if I change dns on an ENOM domain, its consistently working within minutes or within the first hour. For Godaddy it takes 1 or 2 days, and the whole time sitting on godaddy parking. Why?

Its frustrating, but its just a parked domain. What if it was a real business? A 2day outage so you can get some clicks is just outrageous.

Its completely unacceptable. Therefore I dont think any business of size should have their domains at godaddy if this kind of thing goes on. I like almost everything else at godaddy, and would like to have godaddy be my only registrar, but every dns change has this huge days-long delay, and its obviously intentional.

Kevin

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.....if I change dns on an ENOM domain, its consistently working within minutes or within the first hour.

hmmm......that's odd. I changed dns on an enom name I just purchased repeatedly for the last 24 hrs and it still fails to resolve on the web. In addition, I changed the contact details too but only at enom was it changed as when you do 3rd party whois it never changed.

Frustrating since I made a temp web page so quickly about 2 hrs after the name was in my enom acct but here it is 24 hrs later and not working. Anyone else have this happen with enom (btw, that is the only name I have with enom partly because of past difficulties I had with enom and poor supt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom