Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why does Hokey.net have such amazing Suggestion Tool returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yesterday Gourd sold his hokey.net name here for anywhere from $20 to $100.

Does Gourd or anyone else have any names even close to the amazing suggestion tool returns that hokey.net gets? It's the most amazing name I have ever seen as far as the ST results go, especially since it's a little known or misspelled word, and also a NET. I would be interested in buying other names with even a few ST returns using the name plus its ext.

I tried to re-buy hokey.net from its new owner shortly after it was sold but no response from him. My last offer was $400 but likely would have gone much higher.

The most amazing thing about hokey.net is its 397 ST Returns wheras Hokey.com only has 79 ST Returns (still a good number, even at 79). Someone else pointed out in that thread yesterday that 397/mo ST's likely equates to approx' 300 uniques a day. In my experience I would also estimate that to be somewhat accurate.

It's VERY ODD the dot-net has much better results than the dot-com? Could it be related to a Hockey Net coming into play such as Hockey Puck etc? Any ideas about this from anyone here?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's a temporary aberration caused by spamming of the Overture queries?...now you see it, now you don't :eek:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How and why would someone spam Overture like that?

Also, what do you mean looking for Hockey Net? Do you mean looking to buy equipment like a hockey net? Do you think someone doing a search like that gets counted in error by overture as looking for the name plus it net extension rather than a product search?

P.S. If I would have been so lucky to get that name, in 24-hrs I would have a webpage up and resolving with a hit counter and could report to everyone here on the actual number of hits it gets.

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
I tried to re-buy hokey.net from its new owner shortly after it was sold but no response from him. My last offer was $400 but likely would have gone much higher.

Hi, where did you contacted me? I didn't received any email or PM by you.

Mike

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oh ok, I didn't saw that thread.

Mike

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by winfreecash
looking for hockey net maybe :)

I don't think so win, because you would then expect to see some results at Overture for the correct spelling 'hockey.net' and 'hokey net', but in both cases it's NIL.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How and why would someone spam Overture like that?

Overture has safeguards in place to ensure the same person doesn't repeatedly click on the paid for listings they serve up - especially given that some are $30 per clickthru and would be an easy way to bankrupt a competitor or for a disgruntled cutomer to take revenge on a firm they don't like.

But I don't think any controls are in place to stop someone clicking on a search term once every hour when they check their e-mail.

Might make an interesting study...think up a worthless domain name - that shouldn't be too hard for the majority of us, LOL - and once an hour do a search for it at Overture, say totalling a dozen a day.

The following month when Overture releases it results, that domain name should show 372. Wow, ZebraMyGirraffe.org has 372 at Overture :eek: :eek: :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz Overture has safeguards in place to ensure the same person doesn't repeatedly click on the paid for listings they serve up - especially given that some are $30 per clickthru and would be an easy way to bankrupt a competitor or for a disgruntled cutomer to take revenge on a firm they don't like. But I don't think any controls are in place to stop someone clicking on a search term once every hour when they check their e-mail. Might make an interesting study...think up a worthless domain name - that shouldn't be too hard for the majority of us, LOL - and once an hour do a search for it at oerture, say totalling a dozen a day. the following month when Overture releases it results, that domain name should show 372. Wow, ZebraMyGirraffe.org has 372 at Overture :eek: :eek: :D

Thanks for this feedback but I am sure Gourd would not do that and then turn around and sell the name so cheaply (I assume less than $100). Also, never checked but I am sure there is no on bidding on clicks for such an odd word so that could not be a factor.

So the question is why would someone else spam Overture - other than the owner? It seems very odd. Perhaps there is something else going on with hokey.net.

-----------------

P.S. I just checked and hockey only has a bid of .13c. Oddly Overture reports this on hockey while checking the word hokey???

Perhaps the reason for the ST returns is overture is reporting on misspellngs now as though the word was spelled correctly, something they never did before as far as I know.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this feedback but I am sure Gourd would not do that and then turn around and sell the name so cheaply (I assume less than $100). Also, never checked but I am sure there is no on bidding on clicks for such an odd word so that could not be a factor.

So the question is why would someone else spam Overture - other than the owner? It seems very odd. Perhaps there is something else going on with hokey.net

I was not for one second implying Gourd would do a thing like that at all, but was merely pointing out that this sort of spamming is easily possible given the number of people using the Internet.

Something like 500 million or a billion people, so as a function of this massive volume, results like Overture are going to be skewed in a good number of cases. Quite possibly the spamming is unintentional, but if someone has a faxation on a word or term and they like typing it into a search box a dozen times a day, the Overture results are going to be out because the software can't differentiate between a legitimate query and one that isn't.

You just need to be careful about basing a $400 purchase of a misspell on one month's ST results, which seem very questionable at the very least. 300 uniques a day is great, but how well would they convert to sales if it was coming from one person who types a domain name into a search engine that many times a day?

Perhaps the reason for the ST returns is overture is reporting on misspellngs now as though the word was spelled correctly, something they never did before as far as I know.

In the past year I've seen bids at Overture for a number of incorrectly spelled words/phrases, and I have entry level 5 cent bids for misspellings at Overture as well as minimum bids at Google's Adwords for the same, both of which get click-thrus. It's a good way of getting a little traffic at a much more cost-effective rate than bidding high on the correct spelling, but they're still valid bids and so Overture displays them.

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hokey.net shows '0' results.
Be glad you still have your $400.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by abrams1117
hokey.net shows '0' results.
Be glad you still have your $400.

Exactly! The brand new Overture numbers are out and both hockey.net and hokey.net get the ZERO returns you would expect. Someone either spammed them with the term last month or there was a major error in the OT system. I read a lengthy article elsewhere that said these false OT results from spamming or internal issues were becoming more and more prevalent and that their results should never be relied on as accurate when laying out money for domains.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback Duke, Abrams, Fizz and others.

Also, Fizz I know you never implied that Gourd did that and neither did I.

It's odd how those high ST returns happened. I guess we will never know.

Good think MikeMike was not on the forum when I made that offer!

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL

You got $400 extra to spend over the Festive Season, RealNames :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz LOL. You got $400 extra to spend over the Festive Season, RealNames :D

Right, thanks for all your help on that name :) I really lucked out in not buying it.

I should have been more suspicious when I saw that hokey.com had far less returns than hokey.net, and also when I realized hokey.net was getting such heavy ST returns - as much as 1/7th of what sex.net gets - LOL

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback Duke, Abrams, Fizz and others.

Also, Fizz I know you never implied that Gourd did that and neither did I.

It's odd how those high ST returns happened. I guess we will never know.

WOW, I just saw the posts here and checked that yes it is 0 at overture.

RealNames, even if I was on the Board and I accepted the offer and later come up that overture shows 0 I will give you the money back right away, I don't like to have people looking bad at me for few bucks (and not even for much), I had 3 people interested on this name and now 2 went back because saw this kind of thing about OT and 1 I just emailed telling him this.

So at the end of everything the only one that get something is Gourd :)

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

It looks as if they are doing this because if you search for "centre" it comes back with counts for the mis-spelling "center", which is really tedious for english speakers. :D

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very interesting thread and subject matter! :)

Now I have a question regarding this comment from RealNames......

"Someone else pointed out in that thread yesterday that 397/mo ST's likely equates to approx' 300 uniques a day. In my experience I would also estimate that to be somewhat accurate."

How do you arrive at the figure of 300 uniques a day? - from 397 searches in the entire month?

Please expand on this. Any additional information would be much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom