Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

moniker Why does moniker make you call to retrive a password?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imlek

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The reason for the call is to verify ownership.

1. International call from my place is very expensive. It can be used for buy a lot of domain names.

2. I can read and write english, not not fluent in conversation. So calling you will take me for hassle.

3. I have many account with many provider (domain, hosting, etc) and I can not remember all my username and password. Also print-out or save it at file, is not secure. So the forgot password is very important. Now, with your calling procedure, it cause less secure to moniker, since I need to print-out or save it on file. Or would you (moniker) like your customers use easy-to-remember password, like abcdefgh? So the customer won't need to use forgot password feature.

4. I need to wake-up at mid-night just to call you, since there is a time difference between my place and moniker's.

5. I agree with stuff:
what do you have to speak in phone? what they ask? I don´t get it how it would be safe?

I just try to use moniker for a while, and I would like to try their services with only a few of domain names, but this calling procedure make me think again and again. In case I'm buying and transferring a lot of domain names to moniker, then when I need to use forgot password, there will be hassle and trouble for me.

If you still try to defense with "Moniker is the safest, most secure registrar for a reason.". The solution is very simple. Just add any option on customer account about this forgot password thing and the customer can select:
- Calling -> Safe procedure as you though. (But not exactly safe as I think, but surely a hassle and trouble)
- Email

Since you already have "Low" and "High" security setting for account. The suggestion is not hard to implement, if you take suggestion off course.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can read and write english, not not fluent in conversation.
Yeah same problem with me, basically when I talk with people they say "Pardon ? Pardon ?" and they are probably thinking "WTF is this idiot trying to say here ?"

Ownager

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
callin = great feature. and they should use callerID for premium names so that the person has to be calling from your house or cell phone :D

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The phone call is in order for us to verify ownership as a security measure. It is not meant to be a hassle for our customers. Most customers appreciate the extra security. If the phone call from outside the USA is too much of a hassle or phone call is too expensive, you can always contact one of use here on the forum (myself included).

Email theft is on the rise and is a major cause for increased hijackings of domains across the industry. After a few hijacking attempts we added this basic security precaution (there is information that we prefer to request based on a phone conversation) as well also added domain and portfolio MAXLOCK. Moniker is the most secure registrar for these reasons. Since we have so many high value portfolios at moniker we must provide additional security.

Regards,
John Mauriello
[email protected]
954-861-3536
800-688-6311 Ext. 3536
FAX: 954-984-0209
MSN: [email protected]

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
John,

What about letting people set a transfer lock password that is different than the account password that can only be changed from the panel if they know they current password. Otherwise they have to call. This could greatly reduce domain theft.

Also why hasn't moniker setup account notifications for logins like name.com and namecheap.com?

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we must provide additional security.
Yeah but when you start new feature you should NOT change default, you should keep the same default as before and let people SWITCH any new feature ON.

owndomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what do you have to speak in phone? what they ask? I don´t get it how it would be safe?

Agree. It is also common that the incoming phone number can be hacked (fake), so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom