Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why is MrsJello buying .co.uk names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To make $$$$$ from traffic would be an obvious reason.

M

mole

I thought so to, k, but Igal appears to be specifying that no traffic is required, just good names.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The UK is a very hot market right now, so there are plenty of reasons to purchase .co.uk domains. Although I personally wouldn't pay more than 10% the price of an equivalent .com domain.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The extension is solid, it's been around for a long time and has proven itself to be strong.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
The extension is solid, it's been around for a long time and has proven itself to be strong.
I rarely see them for sale here, but DNJ reports some decent co.uk sales.
aswell it has a lot of registrations.. 3 mil +?

Plus all the 3 letters are taken...
(so im told..)

obviously has to be pretty good..

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only downfall as far as selling them is concerned is the c$50 transfer of ownership fee - so you can't sell a mediocre .co.uk for mediocre money because the buyers simply won't pay the fee, hence the lack of turnaround compared to other extensions.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
The only downfall as far as selling them is concerned is the c$50 transfer of ownership fee - so you can't sell a mediocre .co.uk for mediocre money because the buyers simply won't pay the fee, hence the lack of turnaround compared to other extensions.
Oh... that would explain the lack of co.uk sales here :)
- Jordan

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
although this doesnt apply for me...
my friends use .co.uk as opposed to .com for a lot of things.

there was a survey somewhere that i answered on a forum(somewhere) saying that .co.uk is more popular in the UK in comparison to .com.

there is a lot of value in my much-trust ccTLD :-D
I just dont like the idea of 2 year minimum registration or the transfer of ownership fee :-( maybe if these were taken away there would be a lot more appeal

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because great stuff can be had CHEAP. Or at least, that's been my experience so far.

The above probably won't hold true a year or even six months from now.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not only 50$ transfership fee, but it also takes at least two months to receive Nominet paperwork, and have a domain fully transfered into your name.

Those idiots at Nominet are registering internet domains by hand, and are issuing registration certificates by snail mail two months after you register them (or transfer them.)

Its pathetic, scary and moronic - all at the same time.

littlebigman

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with you guys

I have registered .co.uk names as new regs, but only recently bought them from others on the forums. There is no justifiable reason for Nominet to be using the long and laborious process that they use or to charge the exorbortant fee for transfer of legal ownership.

I am UK based, but I think their actions are outrageous and damaging to the industry. Why when the technology is obviously being utilised by others in the uk, do they opt to utilise some antiquated processing system!

Nominet are also doing their name more harm than good and seriously inhibiting the healthy growth and development of the .co.uk extension.

I am steering clear of .co.uk until they get their house in order

LBM

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We need to make our thoughts clear to nominet.

.co.uk value would easily rise if it were easy to make transfers and ownership changes.

TAKE A STAND!

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The two year long registration is one of the things that appeals to me about .co.uk - you have twice as long to make your reg fee back, and you can build yourself a sizeable portfolio with plenty of time to decide whether you want to renew them.

Another thing is that although a lot of domain names have been registered, if you just spend an evening doing some keyword research you can unearth some gems that nobody has spotted yet, or have let drop.

And finally, my biggest domain name sale was a .co.uk at £1,000 ($1,826) which is a great return on a £6.09 ($11) investment.

j8jweb

DNF Veteran
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:p

This thread is a joke (I hope)? I've bought and sold .co.uk domains for 5 and 6 figures (GBP).

I agree though, nominet should get its act together. Transfers are needlessly time consuming. Not good enough for the biggest cctld in the world.

M

mole

ENOM recently introduced .co.uk transfers over to their registrar. Anyone tried it and knows how it works?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've found the super-difficult transfer process is actually a great way to bump up the sales price. "That's too much hassle for such a small amount of money" sounds genuine when talking about a .co.uk vs e.g. a .com where a 30-second "push" is often all it takes.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
never really understood why this second level extension was used thru out the net, when i first got in this game!

even this forum, DNF had a .co.uk extension when I first joined.

where there ever any ".uk" namespaces released?
if not why just ".co.uk"?

how will ".eu" effect ".co.uk"?
negative or postively?

is someone trying to drive demand for ".co.uk" .......in light of ".eu"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom