Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why is MrsJello buying .co.uk names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j8jweb

DNF Veteran
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
never really understood why this second level extension was used thru out the net, when i first got in this game!

even this forum, DNF had a .co.uk extension when I first joined.

where there ever any ".uk" namespaces released?
if not why just ".co.uk"?

Yes, there were a few. When nominet took over control of all the .uk domains in 1996, they decided to make the main extension .co.uk to stop people reselling their own invented domains under subdomains of .uk, ie. domain.biz.uk etc

how will ".eu" effect ".co.uk"?
negative or postively?

I don't think it will make any difference really.

is someone trying to drive demand for ".co.uk" .......in light of ".eu"?

No, .co.uk is already absolutely massive.

M

mole

where there ever any ".uk" namespaces released?
if not why just ".co.uk"?

how will ".eu" effect ".co.uk"?
negative or postively?

is someone trying to drive demand for ".co.uk" .......in light of ".eu"?

1. Too much TM hassle and grandfathering problems for Nominet to handle.

2. .co.uk will always have its old world charm, like a bit of Park Avenue, .eu may be the favored child of the new breed of European netreprenuers - like many things, the issue is not how, but when?

3. Yup, speculators always like to spin up the value of their holdings, its as natural as farting. You just need to balance what you read,... vs what domains you have LOL :-D

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So is MrsJello still buying? :-D
Personally I think that .co.uk is overly localized & that .net and .org are overly undervalued. The introduction of .eu will polarize things.

j8jweb

DNF Veteran
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.co.uk is overly localized, but that's precisely the point. No .com domain could ever compete with .co.uk over here. If you ignore the uk domain market, you lose out massively. End of story.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
LOL

First of all, it's a ripoff that there is no .uk and you guys end up paying for what's essentially a 3rd level domain, e.g. xxx.co.uk

If you really want the market to boom, they need to deregulate and offer xxx.uk

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
LOL

First of all, it's a ripoff that there is no .uk and you guys end up paying for what's essentially a 3rd level domain, e.g. xxx.co.uk

Absolutely!

j8jweb

DNF Veteran
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Who cares? The extension is 100% unimportant. Familiarity is the important thing. .co.uk is completely ingrained into the psyche of most people in the world.

No boom needed to be frank. As anyone in the UK knows, .co.uk is already absolutely massive. Just because something isn't popular in the US doesn't mean it is small. I sincerely doubt that .us will ever be this big.

.co.uk domains / UK IP addresses also have a massive advantage in search engines, as I'm sure many of the more experienced webmasters here know all too well.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I doubt .us will be big either, however nothing beats the popularity & search engine visibility of a .com/.net/.org - even in a localized search engine like Yahoo UK for example.

j8jweb

DNF Veteran
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. I could explain why, but...

Maybe it's better left as a secret after all ;)

:wink:

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
5 trends...

- Rapid take-up of broadband in the UK
- More and more UK businesses coming online or upgrading their web presence
- Favoured treatment of .co.uk domains by UK-specific search engines
- Premium .co.uk domains being consolidated by a handful of large players (about 50 players control hundreds of thousands of top domains)
- Huge decrease in number of dropping .co.uk domains coupled with massive increase in competitiveness of .co.uk drop catching

It's no wonder prices are strong and are set to get much stronger!

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
j8jweb said:
Not good enough for the biggest cctld in the world.
.de is the second largest extension in the world, and for sure the top ccTLD.

M

mole

Edwin said:
5 trends...

- Rapid take-up of broadband in the UK
- More and more UK businesses coming online or upgrading their web presence
- Favoured treatment of .co.uk domains by UK-specific search engines
- Premium .co.uk domains being consolidated by a handful of large players (about 50 players control hundreds of thousands of top domains)
- Huge decrease in number of dropping .co.uk domains coupled with massive increase in competitiveness of .co.uk drop catching

It's no wonder prices are strong and are set to get much stronger!

Does't that apply for .US as well?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Does't that apply for .US as well?

No. In the US people are used to .com, and .us is a second-tier domain. In the UK, .co.uk is THE domain extension.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
No. In the US people are used to .com, and .us is a second-tier domain. In the UK, .co.uk is THE domain extension.

I would agree with that Edwin but the thing about .US is that it is already used heavily in the governement and educational system..so the awareness as the official US domain is here.. I think all it will take for more commercial .US addressess (growing well anyways) is going to be a major search engine that to create that space.. google.de , google.it , google.us I think once google , yahoo or MSN makes that move giving .US it's "rightful" identy then we wil seethe massive movement towards .US registrations and usage.

Once peope, have a little clarity on that ..then they begin understanding that while we can call .US second tier today..we understand it isnt going to stay that way..

Google DID try to let Google.US stand on it's own for a few months last year..it appears there just wasnt enough pages yet and they pointed it back to the .com.. so thats a signal to me of the direction that they PLAN on going for .US

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
.de is ... for sure the top ccTLD.
... in Germany. Very much like the fact that Chinese is the most spoken language on earth ... in China. :D

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Comparing the British market against the US is like comparing Tesco with Wal-Mart :-D

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Comparing the British market against the US is like comparing Tesco with Wal-Mart :-D

But I'd rather own 1% of Tesco than 0.001% of Wal-Mart :smartass:

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why is mole worrying about MrsJello?... :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom