Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why vBulletin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

Any one knows where is the best place to host VB? I finally bought a license :)

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
Hang on... I thought Invision was free?

"Lifetime License · $199.00

This will give you lifetime license to use Invision Power Board for one installation on all current and future versions. Selecting this option will also give you discounts on many of the extras for Invision Power Board. More Information...

One Year License · $69.95

This will give you one year license to use Invision Power Board for one installation on all current and future versions. Selecting this option will also give you discounts on many of the extras for Invision Power Board. At the end of one year your board will continue to run but will be unsupported unless you renew service. More Information... "

If I want to pay for forum software why would I buy invision over vbulliten?

They have restructered their business plan and license agreement. You can still get the free version, which is unlimited in every way (time and features). Its called an "Unlimited Trial". And they basically say 'Once you are done "trialing" the software, you should buy a license". But that does not mean your software will stop working after any amount of time.

And why Invision over vB?
I hate that there is some stigma attached to Invision because it was/is offered free. It doesnt make it less of a board. Why register and pay for a license over vB:
- It has more features you need, and less you dont need.
- With that said, its less bloated.
- Its faster running.
- The development turn-around cycle is much faster. (vB took over a year for vB3. Invision has come from 1.1.2, to 1.2, to 1.3, and the upcoming 2.0, all in that same time.)
- The (sole) writer of the software takes customer feedback into consideration greatly. I have seen him add a feature a day after someone suggested it.
- Invision isnt a one product company. They offer other products/services.
- You get discounts on their services/products when you have a license.
- There is a Gallery script that intergrates directly into your board, also an intergrated Chat script, and an intergrated Top Site List script. And they have a File Manager script. All that is official, supported and written for Invision Power Board. And you get those products at a big discount if you are a license holder.
- They are coming out with a CMS soon.
- They have "Converge" (upcoming) which will allow you to use a Global Login system for your whole site. Also you can have two different boards, and allow people to have the same login for both. So you are somewhat 'connect' the two boards.

And I could go on.

Of course the decision is all up to you. But I personally think Invision is the far greater software/company.

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Any one knows where is the best place to host VB? I finally bought a license :)

You can host it at any shared host. Unless you expect around 300+ online at the same time, I would recommend a dedicated server.
The host I use is www.ThrillingHill.com , I host all my forums with them, rarely if ever have problems.

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is another plus. :)

I have like 1500 forum topics indexed in Google alone. :)

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow Abusive...you want to know something funny....

I love Invision for all the same reasons as you, and I was using ancient version 1.1 before. I also just signed up at ThrillingHill :-D

Check out the look of my new forum (database isnt uploaded yet) at: http://www.thrillinghill.com/~dsitar/forum/

I am going to start my newest website with Version 2.0 when it is finalized...

INVISION IS THE BEST BY FAR!!

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice looking board. ;)

And I have been using Invision since I can remember. I think I still have an ooooold version up. 1.0 or something. Back when I used free hosting. :laugh: Surprising they still have it up. But wow, how much it has changed. Cant wait for 2.0 final. :-D

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Abs... yeah I seen the free version, but did I not read correctly that you cannot install mods unless you pay for a license?

- They have "Converge" (upcoming) which will allow you to use a Global Login system for your whole site. Also you can have two different boards, and allow people to have the same login for both. So you are somewhat 'connect' the two boards.

Do you know when this will go live? This sounds like something that could become very useful for a future site of mine. :-D

Also, do they have something that you can use if you wanna switch a exisiting phpBB board over to invision? I'm thinking of it! :-D

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
Abs... yeah I seen the free version, but did I not read correctly that you cannot install mods unless you pay for a license?

Do you know when this will go live? This sounds like something that could become very useful for a future site of mine. :-D

Also, do they have something that you can use if you wanna switch a exisiting phpBB board over to invision? I'm thinking of it! :-D

You can install mods without a license. But they do not give support for mods if you have a licensed board or not. You have to go to the mod author and get support (like most software authors). But of course, you can get official mods at: www.InvisionPowerMedia.com , but its not taking new orders right now.

Im not sure when it will go live. Maybe in a month or so.

And yes, you can convert: http://www.invisionboard.com/?conversion

Free to download. If you need/want Invision to handle the conversion for you, you can have that done for $60.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks Abs! :)

About the mods, this is what I got confused with..

"You can purchase a license to Invision Power Board at any time to download addons and request support and the upgrade from the free trial version is quick and easy. "

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lol abs is a walking advert :-D

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
Ok thanks Abs! :)

About the mods, this is what I got confused with..

"You can purchase a license to Invision Power Board at any time to download addons and request support and the upgrade from the free trial version is quick and easy. "

The addons are 'Subscription Manager' (for free), and some paid plugins.

Take a look at http://mods.ibplanet.com

Many of freely downloadable mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom