Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Will domains become obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If we knew what was next, we would'nt be here reading the "what if's",
putting yourself in the path of social change is "creating" that next BOOM.
Just remember, silence is golden.
:eek:k:

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While I do think that domains will be around for a long time it is VERY possible that keyboards may become obsolete. I can see a time where voice activated computers rule the day and typos become utterly useless.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
labrocca said:
While I do think that domains will be around for a long time it is VERY possible that keyboards may become obsolete. I can see a time where voice activated computers rule the day and typos become utterly useless.

really? There are many words with similar pronounciation..

Domains have 2 main benefits:
-they are readable and writable for a human (typing loan.com is simplier than 191.23.78.654)
-they can be used as an internet interface. You can access domains from a keyboard, a voice program, a set of buttons linking to that domain.. blah blah blah.

I'll see domains like telephone numbers. Phones change, not the numbers.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also do not think that anytime soon, anything will change with domains per se.
However, domains and the internet in general are very different from phones, physical addresses etc.. in 1 MAJOR thing.
The speed of development.
the internet evolves at a much faster rate.
so, if anything were to change first, it would change in domains *before* chaging in telephone numbers etc... (which might follow).
technology and the virtual space change/evolve much much faster...

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well so many use search engines now. I would think you could tell your computer a sentence on what you need and it might search the web. You could from that point tweak your search with another sentence to your puter. I just can't see typing being the main means of getting info into a computer in 20 years. Remember there wasn't a mouse on most computers 20 years ago either. Can you imagine your puter now without a mouse? In 20 years your kids might laugh at the old "keyboard" while they utilize a faster means to connect with their computer. This could very well effect the domaining industry which is really in it's infancy.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameGuy said:
Somebody is trying already.

http://www.unifiedroot.com/

though this does not replace the current system, it is meant to extend it.
I like the big warning on http://www.unifiedroot.com/registrars :

ERROR: YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO WHOLE INTERNET (sic)

The reality is that no self-appointed company can do what unifiedroot claim to be offering - what's to stop another self-appointed company offering the same root? then you'll need two plugins, but which will get precedence? Two sites with the same "domain", but totally different content..

Anyone remember realnames.com?? http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/article.php/2164841

(Isn't realnames a member here? aka trader)

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a difference here is they are trying to sell not just a domain in a predefined alternate tld, but a whole tld namespace.

Hmmm... Think I'll buy "COM" :)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
labrocca said:
Well so many use search engines now. I would think you could tell your computer a sentence on what you need and it might search the web. You could from that point tweak your search with another sentence to your puter. I just can't see typing being the main means of getting info into a computer in 20 years. Remember there wasn't a mouse on most computers 20 years ago either. Can you imagine your puter now without a mouse? In 20 years your kids might laugh at the old "keyboard" while they utilize a faster means to connect with their computer. This could very well effect the domaining industry which is really in it's infancy.
Yes, quite a number of local service providers like phone and cable companies here have been using voice activated help instead of touch tone keypads for over a year or two now, and their recognition capability is good (way better than I expected). I would say it'll take much less than 20 years for keyboards to be ... obsolete, not to say the mouse.

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Leading Names said:
The thing is, what's the alternative – numbers? That would be a step backwards.

I think domains are here to stay.

- Rob

Numbers + Domains = Numeric Domains. A quiet storm is brewing...:eek:k:

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
numeric domains are great... for computers, and that is what an IP address is.
for us humans, it is still domain names... unless we watch terminator movies too much :)

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see voice activation as the next means of internet use, but I still think domains will be needed. Someone will probably simply speak the domain into their computer rather than typing it...

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A simple alternative is getting the browsers to recognize the web-sites, and then forward to the ip address, e.g., google, yahoo, and their typos would be forwarded by the browsers to their respective ip's; which would kill the typo market, and domain market as well.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
LOL. One hundred years from now everyone on the planet will become obsolete.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I beleive in 30-40 years we will be able to think what we want and it will appear on the screen, 1GB connections will be considered slow.

Thats if they dont find something better than computers..Aliens? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom