Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Will you boycott Go Daddy because of their support of SOPA ?

Will you boycott Go Daddy because of their support of SOPA

• yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been a bit to busy.. and only mildly aware of this. Also caught in between both sides. I have been wearing my domain trading and online dev hat since pre 2000's. Over the past years I have adopted another hat as an inflatable inventor, designer, and manufacture. Something I keep stubbing my toe on when I wear my inflatable hat is Chinese companies copying my designs and pretending they are theirs. Even one's I have design and utility patents for. I have learned that my designs get into their hands by Americans who like my stuff, but dont want to pay for it so they ask a Chinese company to make it and from their on the Chinese company pretends it's their design.

I understand how this legislation would potentially hurt me as a web developer who monetizes sites wearing my "Domainer" hat, but I also understand first hand how things are going now aren't working for me either and very costly to combat via existing means as wearing my "inflatable" hat. I am very much caught up in the middle and like most my schedule does not permit a lot of free time to read and sift blogs.

Almost daily myself or one of my guys are asked if we really make our products because they saw our picture on a Chinese manufactures website. Very tired of answering this question... I get the impression that in this instance SOPA would help me?

Are you able to play devils advocate on this one? I understand SOPA is over stepping boundaries and has the potential to over throw freedom much like a tax of folks who make $250,000 being taxed with out inflation clauses built in at some point in the future the poorest folks will have an annual income of $250,000 and they will be taxed the way that law is written today.

So is it that you opinion that SOPA is bad all together or that it is not written correctly to function properly the way we need it to?

Domain Summit 2024

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
-At first I was a fence sitter, but as of today, Yes I support the boycott. Even after GoDaddy reversed their support.

The reason I now fully support the boycott is that suddenly there are pundits and talking-head bloggers trying to diminish the boycotter's by making them sound like grassroot opposition with no logic or sense. I do not like that kind of underhanded tactic, from politions nor any business.

Ya, put everything on sale and make it harder to leave for economic reasons.

But dont try to publically put me down(as a domainer) because of what I do. That is low-ball politics.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right after the SOPA controversy started, a guy bought 7 of my GoDaddy domains and transferred them out. Of course, GD wrote to me & begged me to reconsider the transfers. ;)

metafever

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I boycotted Godaddy long ago!

In 2001 I registered the name HostingDaddy(dot)com using their service. Next thing I know I got a letter from their lawyer citing trademark issues and they took the domain right out of my account. What is funny is that any trace that I had ever once owned the domain was also erased.

It was then, I vowed to never do business with them again.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy has backed out of SOPA, and I didn't move any domains. People forget that Godaddy does some good things too, like their rounding up payment option to donate to different charities.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I stopped using GoSlappy when a domain I owned under their roof, took months and digital verification proof over my personal identity was required just to move it out to my primary registrar. Beyond what was required for a normal transfer by any other registrar requirement standards to date.

It was rediculous.

eNom never has given me that much grief ever.

No, I dont have to 'boycott' per se'. But I dont have to be quiet about how much I dont like them now either. Tough cookies.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I boycotted Godaddy long ago!

In 2001 I registered the name HostingDaddy(dot)com using their service. Next thing I know I got a letter from their lawyer citing trademark issues and they took the domain right out of my account. What is funny is that any trace that I had ever once owned the domain was also erased.

It was then, I vowed to never do business with them again.

Wouldn't you do the same to protect your brand? Why would you register a TM domain in the first place at GoDaddy? It just doesn't make sense.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Godaddy has backed out of SOPA, and I didn't move any domains. People forget that Godaddy does some good things too, like their rounding up payment option to donate to different charities.

I feel so warm and fuzzy now.

(not about you HG, just GD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom