Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wls

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you for or against wls?

and why?

:)

I am for because I do not participate in the drop game and WLS will only increase domain prices.

However I don't like the idea of a monopoly by verisign.

But since its going to happen anyways, I am for it :)

- Jordan

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is WLS anyway?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
Are you for or against wls?

I'm against for many reasons.

1. The market is already being served by the drop services in many different flavors and business styles. Verisign stomps on them all with a one size fits all. The service is simply not needed. It's the equivalent of Microsoft being given Intel, AMD, and Motorola and leaving OS competitors Apple, SCO, IBM, Sun with no viable chip for their OS to work on).

2. Verisign has a monopoly on com/net registrations. they should not get another monopoly on renewals at much higher prices. They already have the defacto standard domain TLD that everyone really wants.

3. This creates different methods for drops from the other TLD's. further confusing the industry on how domains work.

4. There is no guarantee that a high priced WLS will get you anything. Even after transferring it for 3 times to other domains. It IS an income guarantee for verisign though.

5. Private buyers and low end traders will be less likely to risk paying for something with no guarantee of anything in return. High profile sellers can spread the risk over many domains since they WILL be guaranteed to get at least some of their WLS's, and often at a lower cost than the auctions at pool and namewinner. Domain prices and secondary market acquision costs will go up since the higher priced WLS subs will factor into costs. The big boys will get premium domains at much lower cost since there's no auction, and there will be NO MORE sub-$10 pickups on com/net domains. It raises the minimum from the $8.75 NW and Enom drop catches to a minimum price in the $40-$60 range of a WLS cost. Only very poor names will still be caught by the current services.

6. I despise Verisign for giving some of the poorest service in the industry at the highest prices.

http://www.nsihorrorstories.com/index.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/verisly/

7. An addition to the DNS/internet like this with so much potential income involved and no competition should be put out for public bid to truly be in the public interest.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oxen said:
What is WLS anyway?

Verisign's "Wait-Listing Service". When activated .com and .net drops will no longer happen. The first person to pay a set fee to reserve the rights to be the next owner successfully gets the domain if the current owner does not pay his renewal..........................

For or against WLS

I am not in favor of the Verisign monopoly but as an avid researcher I favor WLS over paying a ton of money for mediocre to decent drops or hitting the rare snap................

My opinion may change if the claims hold true by some members that larger players will dominate the WLS purchases like they dominate the auctions. I know they will hit them hard but I can't see their crystal ball working at 100% capacity just yet...................

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, now I am willing to compete maybe in WLS :)

Get what I want

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am for WLS since I dont have money to pay at POOL

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own WaitListingService.com & WaitingListService.com

I'm looking forward to it. Despite its knocks I believe it will only make the domain market bigger, better, and more lucrative than it is now.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm "For WLS" but hold Verisign suspect for monopoly abuse. I think as a mechanism for domain names, WLS is superior to the current non-system. The current system is being "gamed", and does not equate to something appropriate for equal access. Neither situation will be perfect, but WLS is certain preferable. I do not care about getting "the best" drops. I think the Internet as large is served better by injecting some sanity into the Wild Wild West of expiring names.

I'm most sorry that it didn't happen a long time ago, and that it will effect many businesses that have tried to fill the gap, however disjointedly.

Why WLS is Better for Consumers - Mason Cole
http://www.circleid.com/article/181_0_1_0_C

I agree with this standpoint.

Mason Cole writes: If the status quo is preserved, here's what the customer will continue to experience--

--And I feel it only continues DOWNHILL as the process becomes clearly procedure so specialized and bizarre, that only experts can assist people in procuring any expiring name.

~ Nexus

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
as per older posts, and the roller coaster effect of WLS, tonight I am for it.
:)

However, it is still a controlled and idiotic system. Just remove the 'alerting' the domain owber that a slot has been placed, and it just might be reasonable...

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For WLS....

Why?

Because the current system sucks... I rarely play the .com & .net game now, never look for 'top names' anymore because I know that I have no chance of getting any or even any half decent name without paying $5k+ for it.

If the current system stayed in & all auction places were not allowed then it would be the best.

The auction places ruined the current system for small to mid players.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Zoobar said:
I own WaitListingService.com & WaitingListService.com

I'm looking forward to it. Despite its knocks I believe it will only make the domain market bigger, better, and more lucrative than it is now.

I imagine you'll be getting some traffic soon..........................................
Nice heads up picks..........No TM's either.................................

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I tried getting WLS.com :)

the owner was shocked with my $3000 USD offer and exclaimed "No!" :p

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WLS would certainly free up some of my time each day! :)

RMF

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How much does WLS start out with?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
oxen said:
How much does WLS start out with?

I think Verisign sells them wholesale to registrars for around $25-$35. Registrars can add whatever they want to that for a retail price. I would guess it would vary from $30 to $60 per name subscription.

Full details and contract are not yet worked out. All ICANN did was give the okay to work out negotiations and get DOC approval for an amended registrar agreement. I would still bet it doesn't acually start until 2005.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whether or not WLS is approved one thing is sure: The industry is obviously exploding as people realize that the internet is the future and they they were duped by a dot-bomb lie this whole time. Many people will most likely be livid when they realize the names they let drop are being bought and sold daily either in private transactions or at auctions. Many people failed to have the LONG TERM vision or they sat idly on a goldmine hoping for a quick payout.

Being an niche player, WLS can have advantages. I know every single valuable name which I would like to have which relates to my business and know who owns it and when it will drop far ahead of time. WLS is an advantage in this light, but at the same time if I was locked out of getting a name because someone else had the slot on it I wouldn't hesitate to contact the previous owner and offer them cash. But if I couldn't do that and the name was dropping I probably would be mad at WLS but at least the consumer would win hopefully as someone else who had speculated that far in advance obviously had more interested than me or did better research.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:
...but at least the consumer would win hopefully as someone else who had speculated that far in advance obviously had more interested than me or did better research.

Research will be more difficult. Now you only have to research what's dropping in the next 6 days to get in on a buy, or maybe the next 90 days to get a snapnames snap. With WLS, you will need to research much further out than that if it's good, since some may get WLS's 10-11 months ahead to insure a chance at it.

Someone could make some real money by parsing whois email contacts to find expired contact domains or invalid addresses on active domains. This would increase the odds that a renewal would not be made making WLS success more likely.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Scenario:

Registrars will benefit and probably eventually be able to sell domains that have WLS slots.

How?

They will alert subscribers:

CASE 1 -> They get a response, they renew, they win (ASSUMING VALUE=true).
CASE 2 -> No response, evaluate (domain). If domain value > $$$, then keep

SUB CASE
If domain (value) >$XXX then sell in aftermarket
If domain (value) > $XXXX then store for future

If domain (value) <$xx then release

*value=easily appraised by employee

Ok, I am no Einstein, but, a stephenhawking I might be (own domain) :)

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
adoptabledomains said:
Someone could make some real money by parsing whois email contacts to find expired contact domains or invalid addresses on active domains. This would increase the odds that a renewal would not be made making WLS success more likely.
Goes without saying. Sadly, this type of research has been pretty much useless up to now. When WLS takes effect, I'll be looking around to see how quickly and completely people are running after subs. It seems the BIG question will be on the table for a few months yet. Depending on the purpose of those chasing names (we're not all the same of course), I don't think it makes a wit of sense for some people to go after every sub they can get their hands on. Liquidity and market value for domain names isn't exactly a stable metric. Had I 20 million in the bank to spend on domain names, I don't think I'd pour more than $100,000 into WLS. #1 rule of gambling, is you don't bet more than you're prepared to lose.

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom